Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Best sub placement in GS430, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-05, 08:42 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best sub placement in GS430, help?

Guys finnally got all my components purchased and now trying to find out the best possible way to place the sub in the trunk of my GS430. Since there is a 12" hole in the rear deck I thought of utilizing that for the sub. I have 12" Infinity Perfect VQ I was thinking of putting it inside the 1 cubic feet box shaped like a cube and place the box with sub facing directly through the whole?! Any suggestions? Did anyone have this done? I always placed subs facing the trunk so the bass would reflect back to the cabin. I once seen a set up of q45, which had an opening in the rear deck like the GS and the guy had a big ported box with the port facing directly through the whole in the deck and it was pretty good, but the box was huge? this was like 8 years ago. Any one has a set up in their GS where you use the rear deck hole to get the bass in. Because this I think would have the best SQ then bouncing the signal from the trunk back to cabin?!
Old 06-11-05, 09:33 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought it was stock 10" ? depending on what you are trying to achieve, i saw this mbquarts sub in teh FS section that looks mean... its free air so you know its perfect for oem replacement... i believe retrodrive, thats his screenname, actually cut out his rear deck to put real enclosed subs in it. try seraching for his SN... ooh he has a LS
Old 06-13-05, 02:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

stock pioneer is 10"
stock ml is 8"
Old 06-13-05, 03:31 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I have a 1.5 cu ft box weighing 60+ pounds (~30 lb woofer) hanging from my rear deck. It has a 12" IDMAX firing up through the stock hole. There are pics in the member gallery if you search for me. I used 3/4 MDF to build the box, and hanging it from the flimsy deck was very difficult - for that I used large angle brackets from Home Depot, with large bolts, nuts, and lockwashers. You also have to remember that the box can't be mounted flush with the bottom of the rear deck, because you need to leave room for the forward woofer excursion.

Direct-firing into the cabin tends to have the best SQ, at least for sealed boxes. Otherwise you are basically vibrating the back of the car before you are vibrating you. Rear-firing causes more resonances and peaks and valleys in the frequency response, and tends to make any rattles worse. However, if you want to hear the boom from outside the car, use rear-firing.
Old 06-13-05, 09:52 PM
iDunno2k3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
stock pioneer is 10"
stock ml is 8"
According to the Mark Levinson website, it says that the sub in the back was a 10 incher?