Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

"98 GS300 audio/speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-01, 02:32 PM
tmilne

Question

I have been following the threads regarding speaker replacement for the standard (premium?) sytem in my '98 GS300. I am considering Diamond Hex s600a, Focal 165K, a/d/s/ 345is or 346is, or Dynaudio MW160/MW130/MW190sub combo.

I went to an installer who carries Diamond and used to carry a/d/s/. He had some questions I could not answer (he has not worked on a new model GS, which concerns me). According to his software, The subwoofer amp is within the system amp (i.e. 5 channel). His concern was that if you cut the sub from this amp to its own amp, the power left to the other 4 channels could fry it. Also, he was not sure if there was a single or dual voice coil (frankly I didn't know what he was talking about) and he needed to know this to suggest an appropriate speaker match. Also, can somone tell me how much power is dedicated to each channel and in particular the sub. I may try to use the stock amp to power the sub.

As for speaker size, Percy mentioned the doors were 4" rounds. This guy's software said the fronts were 5 1/4" and the rears were 6 1/2" both with 3" depth. I don't know if this was referring to the current speaker or the size it will accept. And is it correct that the fronts should be crossed over to the tweeters but the rears can be just drivers and receive full range with no crossover needed.

Lastly, what subs are a drop-in match to the GS300? Which JL Audio sub would you suggest?, and where can a/d/s/ be bought online.

Thanks, Tom

Old 04-24-01, 06:48 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Stock Amp/Speakers

Tom - Don't bother with using the stock amp for any of the speakers, especially if U replace them with Dyns, Diamonds or Focals. It just doesn't have enough power to drive anything! Best guess to the sub is 40-50 watts rms. Percy's data is correct about 4" speakers in each door. Maybe his data reflects drop-in sizes as U suggest. I put a JL 10IBU4 as a direct replacement for the factory ( Pioneer ) sub but I also added a Fosgate amp to it & the first sets of 6.5" Diamonds I used before deciding to compete again. Not really up on a/d/s but U might try www.sounddomain.com - believe they have a link to a/d/s.
Old 04-24-01, 08:23 PM
tmilne

Default What would help?

Thanks Gene, I should have known it would not be that easy.

My dilemma is that the stock system is pretty weak; much worse than my old SC300. I am neither an audiophile nor competer. I just want to improve the sound quality of my system with minimal cash outlay. I don't need it super loud, only clean, natural, and with tight bass. Are there any speakers that could improve the sound significantly using the stock amp's output? or am I relegated to mediocrity unless I make major changes?

I would assume the speakers would have to be super efficient. Do you know the watts (rms)/channel on the standard system in the '98 GS? I think you said the sub was 40-50 watts (rms). Would any other sub improve things?

Thanks for your help, Tom
Old 04-24-01, 09:22 PM
tmilne

Default Gene...about your old system

Just reread your post. As I stated above, I hope to make improvements without a new amp.

But, Could you give me more details about the cost of your original mod?

Were they Diamond components in front / and drivers in rear?
Was it one Fosgate 5 channel amp?
and the JL sub?
Total cost?

Thanks for any help, Tom

Old 04-25-01, 09:14 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Old System

Tom - My first setup ran me about $1300 ( just parts as I did the work ). I had a Diamond 6.5" HEX component set in each door ( all 4 ) & that JL woofer I spoke of. I put an RF Punch 360a4 ( old model ) on the doors & dedicated an RF Punch 240a2 on the sub. These may not be the correct part numbers but it gives U an idea of the power I was running per speaker. I used the factory Pioneer head unit & it didn't sound bad at all!
Old 05-06-01, 08:27 AM
silvaristo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10' jl sub

how much did the sub run you?
Old 05-06-01, 06:55 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool JL Pricing

SA - I paid $95 for my JL BUT I get brother-in-law" prices from my friend who owns the only audio shop in town. I let him use my GS pictures on his website - kinda helping each other out!