Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Carputer - SC guys what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 04:50 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

what if you throw the shuttle behind the gas tank? im assuming there is a plenty of dead space there, and would not disturb the clean/stock factor.
Old 06-22-04, 05:01 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by aliga
what if you throw the shuttle behind the gas tank? im assuming there is a plenty of dead space there, and would not disturb the clean/stock factor.
i was about to suggest the same... i have all my hardware in that location(alpine nav system,etc) and there is plenty of space there. it should be able to mount back there(behind the gas tank cover) and you should be able to run and extend all your wiring to the touchscreen monitor in the dash,maybe even put the dvd/rw in the dash under the monitor,alond with usb ports in the center armrest for additional peripherals....this is the setup i'm interested in...
Old 06-22-04, 05:10 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

i found this thread comparing the shuttle and the m10K, still no clear verdict.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=shuttle

which is the better foundation for growth?
The SFF computer is definitely better in terms or power, upgradeability and function. It maybe for a car, but I think that 1ghz is just too slow, 256mb ram is mediocre and integrated video is horrible, plus you don't need a 2.5 Hard drive, you can use a regular desktop hard drive so you can get a larger HD and save money. However, the SFF is bigger and draws more power.
Old 06-22-04, 05:37 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

here is the flipside: 1 G is plenty for mp3, gps, etc
Old 06-22-04, 05:42 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Yeah, but not for real gaming.
Old 06-22-04, 05:50 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

you got me there!!!
Old 06-22-04, 07:39 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the 1G is perfect for the emulators I'll be running. GBA, N64, and Mame...I picked up the Delorme Earthmate GPS today and also a wireless-G USB card...

BTW, I don't think you'll want to do any crazy gaming on a 7" monitor
Old 06-23-04, 01:17 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
MikeLoc: autocouturesc and myself were going to build this thing carefully together taking our time, but now that this thread has come up with a lot of interest, we're both scrambling to piece this thing together.

I have been reading a lot of the mp3car forums and many people always redo their system once they have it done. I was planning to have everything perfect the first time, but there are still some bugs which I am clearing out. I am just going to whip a mini-pc in my trunk for the time being to test all the components and then after I get that squared away, I'll be building a custom case in the dashboard somewhere on the passenger side since I don't have an airbag there.

Anyway, it seems very hush hush because we really don't know exactly what we're going to be including in this project yet. All I know is that it's going to have a 7" touchscreen used for MP3, DVD, Navigation, and LOTS OF GAMES!!!

This thing won't be done for at least another month or so, implementation of the 7" touchscreen into the radio area is a pain. Also, it's our first time working with fiberglass/bondo/carbon fibre so it's not going to be the prettiest. But like I said, there's going to be many revisions and they'll get better each time.
This sounds like an awesome project man, something really over my head as I'm not much into the technical side on computers but I do love to read. It has generated a ton of interest and I'm very excited to see your finished product. I know there's a ton of computer genuises on here who could most likely chime in with ideas to help you guys along. For now I'll just sit back and watch with widely open eyes. And if you guys can get something in there looking super clean...man, that would really be soemthing!!
Old 06-23-04, 05:52 PM
porter444
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Where can I buy one?

Very cool!

Where do I sign up?
Old 06-24-04, 08:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Batmanwcm
The SFF computer is definitely better in terms or power, upgradeability and function. It maybe for a car, but I think that 1ghz is just too slow, 256mb ram is mediocre and integrated video is horrible, plus you don't need a 2.5 Hard drive, you can use a regular desktop hard drive so you can get a larger HD and save money. However, the SFF is bigger and draws more power.
1ghz too slow for what? you going to do video editing in your car?

1ghz is plenty fast for 99% of the apps out there; including GPS, winxp, any mp3 player, dvd player, etc
Old 06-25-04, 12:14 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

ditto bean.

Want me to get into operations per clock cycle and how bad the P4 sucks? AMD has been showing up intel with their Athlon XP line, now they're owning intel with the Clawhammer and Sledgehammer (Athlon64 and opereron).

1 GHz will work like a champ, 512 may work better because windows XP is a pig. Disable unneeded services and remove the fade effect, and you'll have a nice machine.

Also, maybe you should install some wardriving software -- how about stumbler? :-)

About integrated graphics: they have come a long, long way since the days of the intel 810 chipset -- that was a pitiful VGA solution. We've got radeons built into motherboards that get better 3Dmarks than old 2GHz P4 desktops (400 MHz FSB + Crappy Geforce MX = suckfest).

This isn't going to be a powerhouse -- if you want 150 FPS @ 1200x1024, build a desktop. You guys are completely forgetting about heat. No way am I putting a Radeon 9800 Pro and Intel P4 Extreme in my glove box -- I'd need to freaking watercool the thing. The perks to the VIA ITX solution is that it draws little power (DC-DC PSU's are expensive) and can work with all passive heating.

You try listening to a 60MM delta and tell me you want that inside the cabin of your lexus -- it completely defeats the purpose of trying for the OEM look to have to cut blow-holes in your glovebox.

The advantage of a 2.5" HD over a 3.5" drive is worth it IMO. We're not putting that much load on the system -- we don't need 7200 RPM units with a 8.5 msec seek time. We need a quiet, low watt, small form factor hard drive that will load windows XP in a timely fashion. If you want to juice it up, I'm sure I could figure out a SATA RAID-0 solution for your car... but what's the point?

Better yet, I'm configuring a 12 bay external SATA to Fibre Channel enclosure for work -- maybe I could steal it and mount it in my trunk, That way I can run around with 3,000 GB of RAID-5 storage, That should take care of my space problem. I can even have a FC plug in the back so other people can connect to my array via a SANbox! Ahh! 1.5 Gigabytes a second of throughput in my car! now that's what I'm talking about!

Ok, I got carried away, but this is a simple install, keep it that way!

KISS -- keep it simple stupid

JT
Old 06-25-04, 07:46 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

who's making it difficult?

no one here is making it difficult, at least not me...the biggest problem or task is making a clean install. working with fiberglass/carbon fiber for the first time, it's going to be a long one...

i'd say my carputer project is about 50% done...i'm also working on 3 other projects and i'd like to have everything in at once so hopefully at the end of summer...i'll be revealing my "secret" projects

SupraCoup3: you have wayyy to much input on this without building a carputer for yourself, I think you need to build one too
Old 06-26-04, 12:25 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

supracoup3 hit the nail on the head!

oh and speaking of the Athlon 64 i've got one running right now, 3200+ newcastle core instead of the old hammer core; socket 754

its much faster than my Athlon XP 2100
Old 06-29-04, 07:59 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

What type of fm/am/tv tuner are you guys planning on using?

I was reading the following thread, and the guys are complaing about one of the cards:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Old 06-29-04, 08:15 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of fm/am/tv tuner are you guys planning on using?

I was reading the following thread, and the guys are complaing about one of the cards:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...5&page=1&pp=15
Gazi,
i'm not going to be using a fm tuner.

Quick Reply: Carputer - SC guys what do you think