Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Do you need to rewire speakers when you get new ones?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 04:50 AM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need to rewire speakers when you get new ones?

Hey everyone, i just purchased some mb quarts for the fronts and boston pros 6x9's in the rear. And an eclipse 4 ch to run everything. I am wondering do i need to rewire the speaker wire when i install these new speakers? or will the stock wire be sufficient enough?

Thanks need to know asap
Josh
Old 11-11-03, 06:55 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to run some good quality speaker wire from the amp to your new speakers. You went out and got some good quality components for your system so you don't don't want to skimp on the wire.
Old 11-11-03, 05:39 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Unless you are using the stock amp, you can't use the stock speaker wires.

You should really use new wire. It will be better than the stock stuff.

Good equipment BTW.
Old 11-13-03, 03:55 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Unless you are using the stock amp, you can't use the stock speaker wires.

You should really use new wire. It will be better than the stock stuff.

Good equipment BTW.

Not true. It all depends on how you hook into the existing wire. Of course you need to disconnect the stock amp first.

It is preferable to replace the stock wiring with your own: higher gauge, better quality, fewer connectors in-line. But the stock wiring is usable if you're skimping.
Old 11-13-03, 11:15 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
Not true. It all depends on how you hook into the existing wire. Of course you need to disconnect the stock amp first.

It is preferable to replace the stock wiring with your own: higher gauge, better quality, fewer connectors in-line. But the stock wiring is usable if you're skimping.
Technically maybe, but practically it is true. Unless you have the schematic of the stereo to figure out wiring colors and/or positions, you will be spinning your wheels. Unless you wanna spend a lot of time tagging the wires and figuring out locations. You're gonna have the door panels off when replacing the oem speakers. Why not just run wire then? An extra hour or so to run speaker wires back is not that big a deal to me. Especially when you consider you will spend atleast that much time tracing wires/colors, yet you will still have wimpy oem wire after all the work anyway.

IMO, for less than $100 you can have great speaker wire to replace the stock wire. I'd gladly pay the money to get it.
Old 11-14-03, 08:54 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to really argue here, but I used some of the stock wiring in my install in the GS, it's not as bad as you think, though I'd never, ever use it for a subwoofer. In the GS it's fairly easy to run new wires into your rear doors, if you take off the trim panel between the front and rear doors. But fishing into the front doors was something I found very difficult, because of the angles involved and the lack of area to work in. As far as the schematic, you're right - I had a full schematic, knew all the colors, etc. Child's play for an engineer. Yes, it is still better to run all new wires.
Old 11-14-03, 10:17 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
Not to really argue here, but I used some of the stock wiring in my install in the GS, it's not as bad as you think, though I'd never, ever use it for a subwoofer. In the GS it's fairly easy to run new wires into your rear doors, if you take off the trim panel between the front and rear doors. But fishing into the front doors was something I found very difficult, because of the angles involved and the lack of area to work in. As far as the schematic, you're right - I had a full schematic, knew all the colors, etc. Child's play for an engineer. Yes, it is still better to run all new wires.
As I said, with a full schematic it's not difficult. Without one, it's going to be an uphill battle that to me is not worth the time or effort. Just my opinion.