Lexus Of Orlando Love Bug Damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 07:11 AM
Madmax0609
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Of Orlando Love Bug Damage

Hello all,

So I took my LC into Lexus of Orlando on April 23rd so they could replace the B pillar damage and address a rattle that is present somewhere in the gauge cluster area. When I dropped the car off I told the service writer that I didn't care if the car was driven (because I knew they had to drive it to evaluate the rattle) but that my only request was to ensure all of the love bugs were removed from the vehicle after every test drive. The service writer ensured me that the car would not sit with love bugs on the car, and even said they would give the car the "white glove treatment".

Throughout the next week he kept me updated about the B pillar replacement and said they are still having trouble finding the source of the rattle, saying he wanted to keep the car a little longer so the technician could test and evaluate the car.

On May 3rd at 10 am I decide to check on my car because a work assignment put me driving right past the dealership. I could see an LC500 sitting outside from the I-4 interstate. When I drive around and pull into the dealership what I'm met with is my car sitting in the sun, rotors coated in lots of surface rust (indicating the car had been sitting out there for days) and at least 12 good examples of love bug splatter on the hood and front nose cone. I called the service writer, who sent a manager out to see the car. I spoke with the manager, who assured me the car would be washed and the bugs removed. I later received a string of text messages from the service writer, with photos of the now clean car. I was told the car was detailed and no bugs had etched into the clear coat.

Well, yesterday I picked up the car. After having the car for 16 days, the dealership tells me they cannot locate the source of the rattle, so it's still present. They told me the next step would be to remove the dash.. I tell them I'm not sure if I want to do that.

I drove the car home, pull into my driveway, and when I exit the car a hazy spot on the hood catches my eye. I look through the photos I took of the car when all of the love bugs were on it and, sure enough, it's in the same area. My immediate conclusion is someone in the detail shop used a fine rubbing/sanding compound to remove the etching from the love bug acid but didn't re-polish the area properly. I decide to pull the car into the garage. I turn on the overhead garage light and see all of the other love bug damage from the acid etching into the clear coat.

This was my dream car. I've had it a year and it has 2300 miles on it. Every time I take the car out I remove any type of bug splatter when I return home. I let the car cool before washing it so as not to heat soak the rotors, and I even remove the brake dust from the inside of the wheels every time I clean the car.

I'm so disappointed in Lexus of Orlando and I don't know what direction to take.

Last edited by Madmax0609; 05-10-19 at 07:13 AM. Reason: grammar error
The following users liked this post:
gvd (05-10-19)
Old 05-10-19, 02:36 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Ask to speak to the General Manager. I don't know though if they can fix it without respraying the car.
Old 05-11-19, 03:28 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

sorry to hear that ! post some pictures of the etching if you're able to. I'm sure it can be wet sanded out worst case scenario. surprised you didn't ceramic coat or PPF
Old 05-11-19, 09:58 AM
robdinero
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats terrible! Unfortunately you will have to raise a stink about the damage but I believe you will get taken care of as you have pics of the splatter before the clean up and its residual effects. They can't deny your claim...
Old 05-13-19, 04:51 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep us posted on your ordeal... if you need a attorneys letter let me know I can speak to my brother!