LC Model (2018-present)

Dems da brakes (figuratively and literally)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 09:52 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine is a 03/2018 production with 10K now on the odometer and they've never squealed yet. Bucket loads of brake dust though.
Old 04-08-19, 10:20 AM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine use to squeak, but they replaced my pads under warrenety. Havent had the issue since and its been 7 months.
Old 04-10-19, 04:45 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Discussing this again? LOL. For the last time people change your pads out to the Tom's Performer pads end of story/ No brake dust, no squeal and stops just as good or better than stock. Of course you'll need to bed them in like any other pads. I've got 22,000 miles on my LC now.
The following users liked this post:
timrudy (07-23-19)
Old 04-10-19, 05:07 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
Discussing this again? LOL. For the last time people change your pads out to the Tom's Performer pads end of story/ No brake dust, no squeal and stops just as good or better than stock. Of course you'll need to bed them in like any other pads. I've got 22,000 miles on my LC now.
Tom's again? LOL. Replace the factory, metallic pads for FREE with the Lexus TSB pads. Lexus works closely with Brembo, and the TSB pads are likely comparable, if not better than Tom's. And you get the additional benefit of your factory warranty. One can argue all day long about who's "alternative material" pads are better, but there's little debate that ceramic (or carbon-ceramic) pads rarely cause noise and produce almost no visible dust at all. The LC TSB pads come from the same proven lineage as the other (RCF, ISF, etc) TSB pads. I haven't heard of anyone who has been unsatisfied with the LC TSB pads. And, did I mention - they're FREE???
The following users liked this post:
IowaLC (04-10-19)
Old 04-11-19, 01:39 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uchujin
Tom's again? LOL. Replace the factory, metallic pads for FREE with the Lexus TSB pads. Lexus works closely with Brembo, and the TSB pads are likely comparable, if not better than Tom's. And you get the additional benefit of your factory warranty. One can argue all day long about who's "alternative material" pads are better, but there's little debate that ceramic (or carbon-ceramic) pads rarely cause noise and produce almost no visible dust at all. The LC TSB pads come from the same proven lineage as the other (RCF, ISF, etc) TSB pads. I haven't heard of anyone who has been unsatisfied with the LC TSB pads. And, did I mention - they're FREE???
The Tom's Performer pads have better bite and can withstand higher temps longer for spirited or track runs Vs the TSB pads. If you're just looking to eliminate noise and dust while rolling around town getting groceries then sure, get the free replacements from Lexus LMAO. I actually drive my car. It's not a garage queen or weekend warrior and I take it out on various cruises and have some track time with it. I have empirical evidence that tells me what pads are better since I have had all the aforementioned brake pads listed here on my LC since December of 2017 OEM stock metallics, OEM TSB and Tom's Performer pads. I will trust the Tom's pads to slow me down coming off a straight behind a McLaren 720S from a 160mph roll over a TSB pad anyday. Ha! Ha!
Old 04-11-19, 02:52 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 98 Posts

The Tom's Performer pads have better bite and can withstand higher temps longer for spirited or track runs Vs the TSB pads. If you're just looking to eliminate noise and dust while rolling around town getting groceries then sure, get the free replacements from Lexus LMAO. I actually drive my car. It's not a garage queen or weekend warrior and I take it out on various cruises and have some track time with it. I have empirical evidence that tells me what pads are better since I have had all the aforementioned brake pads listed here on my LC since December of 2017 OEM stock metallics, OEM TSB and Tom's Performer pads. I will trust the Tom's pads to slow me down coming off a straight behind a McLaren 720S from a 160mph roll over a TSB pad anyday. Ha! Ha!
Such a Tom's snob... Lexus engineers have the choice of teaming with whoever they want when choosing alternatives like brake pads. They team with Brembo for good, proven reasons. No offense but - I'll trust Brembo and Lexus Takumi engineering light-years before your independent test results. Lexus has far more research experience and revenue than smaller aftermarket houses like Tom's. If you've watched any of the 60,000 hour Lexus Takumi video, you would appreciate that. I also trust and value the training and warranty that comes with certified Lexus mechanics doing the installation. Not to call you a liar, but - I've been following this forum since before the TSB pads were released, and you already had the Tom's pads installed. So I doubt you've ever driven on the TSB pads. Ceramic-based pads will never stop as good as metallics - that's pretty-much undisputed. The performance difference between blends of ceramic compounds is likely marginal in comparison with the difference between ceramics vs metallics. Metallics simply dissipate heat more efficiently. Metallics also unfortunately come with the well-discussed nasty side-effects we all know and love (to hate). I'm very confident the Tom's pads are quite excellent. I'm also very confident the compound used in the Lexus TSB pads is quite comparable. This isn't rocket science. Making ceramic blends for brake pads is pretty basic engineering. As I stated earlier, Lexus has been down this road several times with ceramic-based TBS pads for other vehicles. They are producing the absolute best replacement pads available on the market. I've read many of those other vehicle threads too, and many of those drivers are using the TSB pads on the track with excellent results. I'm not dissing your choice in Tom's. I'm just stating I've seen no evidence anywhere indicating the Tom's pads are better than the Lexus TSB pads, and... this really isn't worth arguing about. If one really wants to make a noticeable performance improvement, regardless of which ceramic pads are chosen, time and money would be much better spent on upgrading to slotted and/or ventilated rotors, which I expect we will see on the illusive LCF (along with the same or similar Lexus-Brembo ceramic-based pads). Peace out.

Last edited by uchujin; 04-11-19 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 03:50 PM
web4488
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

For the love of God, Zeitaku, PLEASE don't respond and let this topic die!
Old 04-11-19, 05:33 PM
DWR46
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the 2019 LC500's have the latest TSB style pads from the factory? My car generates a LOT of brake dust in normal driving. However, no squeaks or noise so far.
Old 04-11-19, 06:12 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Such a Tom's snob... Lexus engineers have the choice of teaming with whoever they want when choosing alternatives like brake pads. They team with Brembo for good, proven reasons. No offense but - I'll trust Brembo and Lexus Takumi engineering light-years before your independent test results.
...and Toyota Takumi Masters trust Tom's Racing of Japan. In 2017 Tom's dominated the Super GT Series with drivers Ryo Hirakawa and Nick Cassidy in Car #37, KeePer TOM’S LC500. Guess what brakes were on the KeePer? They weren't TSB LOL

Lexus has far more research experience and revenue than smaller aftermarket houses like Tom's.
Lexus was founded on September 1, 1989 and although a subsidiary of Toyota, Tom's Japan has been Toyota's official tuning entity since 1975. Tom's was founded in 1974 by Toyota factory driver, Nobuhide Tachi and at the time Toyota Chief Engineer, Kiyoshi Oiwa. In 1987 Tom's became Toyota's official race team running and becoming champions in the following; 24 hour LeMan's, Formula 3, Japan Touring Car Series, Conquers F3 Macao GP, Korea SP, Malaysian Grand Prix, Super GT and Formula Nippon Championship Series. Tom's Racing won their first championship Macao Grand Prix Gear Race in 1974, while Toyota won their first championship in 1975 at 1000 Lake Rally in Finland. Where do you think Toyota has been getting their development from? It's all been bred and inspired from the race track through Tom's.

If you've watched any of the 60,000 hour Lexus Takumi video, you would appreciate that.
I personally know a retired Toyota Takumi Master who currently resides here in Arizona. He was with Toyota for over 40 years and helped develop, tune and test the legendary Toyota MKIV TT Supra, The famed Lexus LFA and the more recent Lexus LC500. I met him at our local car show here in Scottsdale,AZ called The Pavilions Rock 'N Roll Car Show. He looked my LC500 over inside and out and recognized the Tom's parts immediately and stated and I quote. "The best!". Went into to detail about how much testing they did on the LFA and the LC500. Here is a photo of him with one of his friends who also worked for Toyota with my LC at the show. Second photo down is him on the track during the testing phases of the LFA around 2010 at Fuji Speedway.

Furthermore my LC500 was used in the recording of my Tom's exhaust, engine and shift paddle's sounds for a variety of official Lexus LC500 commercials which display several Takumi Masters assembling the 2URGSE LC500 blocks in clean rooms. My LC500 audio tracks were also used for several major video games as well.

I also trust and value the training and warranty that comes with certified Lexus mechanics doing the installation. Not to call you a liar, but - I've been following this forum since before the TSB pads were released, and you already had the Tom's pads installed. So I doubt you've ever driven on the TSB pads.
You following the forum prior to when you may have discovered the release of Lexus offering replacement pads does not discredit the fact that I had indeed ran them prior to the Tom's pads I'm running now. What you fail to realize is that a few of us early LC customers (2017) had access to privy information long before it went public with the LC's. As an example, I had my fuel pumps recall done prior to the international announcement.

Ceramic-based pads will never stop as good as metallics - that's pretty-much undisputed. The performance difference between blends of ceramic compounds is likely marginal in comparison with the difference between ceramics vs metallics. Metallics simply dissipate heat more efficiently.
LOL. Ceramic dissipates heat faster than metallic pads. Not sure where you got your info at. Ceramic compounds and copper fibers allow ceramic pads to handle higher brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop and generate less dust.

I've read many of those other vehicle threads too, and many of those drivers are using the TSB pads on the track with excellent results.
False! Many heating issues after one session as well as bad fade on the TSB pads. Plenty of comments on other Lexus forums and Youtube videos to validate that one.

I'm not dissing your choice in Tom's. I'm just stating I've seen no evidence anywhere indicating the Tom's pads are better than the Lexus TSB pads
Exactly! So why are you chiming in on this subject and debating with an LC owner who has?
Old 04-11-19, 06:13 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Originally Posted by web4488
For the love of God, Zeitaku, PLEASE don't respond and let this topic die!
I couldn't resist this one. I already unleashed LOL. Won't be another response though Ha!
Old 04-12-19, 03:42 PM
web4488
Pit Crew

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

I couldn't resist this one. I already unleashed LOL. Won't be another response though Ha!
"Unleashed" might be a wee bit of an understatement.
Old 04-15-19, 11:40 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

...and Toyota Takumi Masters trust Tom's Racing of Japan. In 2017 Tom's dominated the Super GT Series with drivers Ryo Hirakawa and Nick Cassidy in Car #37, KeePer TOM’S LC500. Guess what brakes were on the KeePer? They weren't TSB LOL

Lexus was founded on September 1, 1989 and although a subsidiary of Toyota, Tom's Japan has been Toyota's official tuning entity since 1975. Tom's was founded in 1974 by Toyota factory driver, Nobuhide Tachi and at the time Toyota Chief Engineer, Kiyoshi Oiwa. In 1987 Tom's became Toyota's official race team running and becoming champions in the following; 24 hour LeMan's, Formula 3, Japan Touring Car Series, Conquers F3 Macao GP, Korea SP, Malaysian Grand Prix, Super GT and Formula Nippon Championship Series. Tom's Racing won their first championship Macao Grand Prix Gear Race in 1974, while Toyota won their first championship in 1975 at 1000 Lake Rally in Finland. Where do you think Toyota has been getting their development from? It's all been bred and inspired from the race track through Tom's.

I personally know a retired Toyota Takumi Master who currently resides here in Arizona. He was with Toyota for over 40 years and helped develop, tune and test the legendary Toyota MKIV TT Supra, The famed Lexus LFA and the more recent Lexus LC500. I met him at our local car show here in Scottsdale,AZ called The Pavilions Rock 'N Roll Car Show. He looked my LC500 over inside and out and recognized the Tom's parts immediately and stated and I quote. "The best!". Went into to detail about how much testing they did on the LFA and the LC500. Here is a photo of him with one of his friends who also worked for Toyota with my LC at the show. Second photo down is him on the track during the testing phases of the LFA around 2010 at Fuji Speedway.

Furthermore my LC500 was used in the recording of my Tom's exhaust, engine and shift paddle's sounds for a variety of official Lexus LC500 commercials which display several Takumi Masters assembling the 2URGSE LC500 blocks in clean rooms. My LC500 audio tracks were also used for several major video games as well.

You following the forum prior to when you may have discovered the release of Lexus offering replacement pads does not discredit the fact that I had indeed ran them prior to the Tom's pads I'm running now. What you fail to realize is that a few of us early LC customers (2017) had access to privy information long before it went public with the LC's. As an example, I had my fuel pumps recall done prior to the international announcement.

LOL. Ceramic dissipates heat faster than metallic pads. Not sure where you got your info at. Ceramic compounds and copper fibers allow ceramic pads to handle higher brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop and generate less dust.

False! Many heating issues after one session as well as bad fade on the TSB pads. Plenty of comments on other Lexus forums and Youtube videos to validate that one.

Exactly! So why are you chiming in on this subject and debating with an LC owner who has?
I was going to comment that TOMs and Toyota work closely in Japan. Thank you for doing it in much greater detail.

Often Dealers in Japan will offer aftermarket options from select suppliers.

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 04-15-19 at 11:45 AM.