LC Model (2018-present)

Boost Logic 3" Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 09:47 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Boost Logic 3" Intake Kit

BoostLogic is going to do some amazing things.

Here is what they just released:

Introducing Boost Logic 3" Aluminum Intake Kit for the Lexus LC 500.

Every intake is precision engineered in house to have the smoothest and straightest airflow possible. This kit can be installed without any custom fabrication on the car which makes this a quick modification that will add considerable performance to your LC 500.
The one piece mandrel bent tubes have MAF Sensor provisions built into the intake which are expertly placed to prevent any tuning issues. The pipes are available in either a powder coated wrinkle black, a mirror polished finish, or a variety of custom powder coat colors at an additional charge.
Our Intake Kit comes with dual high flow 3" stainless steel filters that allow the most amount of airflow while keeping out the smallest of dust particles. These filters are easy to clean and do not require any type of filter oil.

Features:
• Mandrel Bent 1-Piece 3" Tubing
• MAF Sensor Provisions
• Includes Dual High Flow 3" Stainless Filters
• Easy Installation - No Modifications Necessary

http://www.boostlogic.com/parts/toyo...ntake-kit.html
Old 07-12-17, 12:21 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

So they are claiming a 21whp and 25 ft/lb torque gain?! If that's what I'm reading, that's a huge gain and will be a huge seller more than likely!

V.
Old 07-12-17, 01:39 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

As always with a mod, what do you give up for this gain? Otherwise you would think the team of smart engineers at Lexus would not have left this 5% power on the table. I can't imagine cost was the issue on a $100K car...
Old 07-12-17, 01:44 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
As always with a mod, what do you give up for this gain?
Reliability, longevity, etc, etc. Same goes for any mod on any car.
Old 07-12-17, 03:04 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Always take dyno claims with a grain of salt. As Magellan mentioned above, most manufacturers aren't going to spend the $ on R&D for things like direct injection, quad cams, VVT, etc., all so they could bottleneck it with the air intake...

Lexus: 'Let's make our stock intake act like a restrictor plate. That way, we can leave ~20 bhp and ~25 lb/ft torque on the table for any shop that's willing to bend some 3" pipe on a mandrel.'

Do this mod if you're flush, bored, can't leave things alone, and/or take your ride to a lot of meets. It may even sound a little better (louder) than stock. Don't do this for any actual gains as you're probably going to be disappointed.

Now, if the LC was turbocharged and you are flashing the ECU for more power, then going with a less restrictive intake might actually make a real difference.

Last edited by al503; 07-12-17 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 06:10 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Well, Lexus has been known to do that sort of thing....ever seen the stock exhaust and stock headers on an IS-F?!? Take at look at one and it'll explain how we're seeing 60-70 whp from aftermarket exhaust and headers. Factory design had to be purposely designed restrictively that way.
They did an awesome job on the intake though as there are no gains to be had on the ISF. And with the LC500 basically having the same motor, I was shocked to see a claim of an aftermarket intake (s) yielding 20+ who. One of you guys should try it, lol.

V
Old 07-13-17, 10:42 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Well, Lexus has been known to do that sort of thing....ever seen the stock exhaust and stock headers on an IS-F?!? Take at look at one and it'll explain how we're seeing 60-70 whp from aftermarket exhaust and headers. Factory design had to be purposely designed restrictively that way.
They did an awesome job on the intake though as there are no gains to be had on the ISF. And with the LC500 basically having the same motor, I was shocked to see a claim of an aftermarket intake (s) yielding 20+ who. One of you guys should try it, lol.

V
I was sticking to the thread topic of an aftermarket intake.

Aftermarket exhausts are a different animal in terms of all the possible changes available compared to the stock exhaust system. Are you going to the expense of equal length headers? Race cats or no cats. Resonator or not? True dual (V or boxer) or Y pipe? Etc. Manufacturers have unavoidable EPA (at least for now, lol) and a plethora of other guidelines they have to follow that will hurt the performance of their products. The owner can choose to ignore those guidelines and 'unleash' some performance.

In regards to gains in aftermarket exhausts, the saying 'there is no free lunch' (Magellan, again) holds true in most cases. It may not be a 1:1 but often, gains in peak HP/TQ = losses in other parts of the rev range. Most manufacturers will emphasize low end torque as that's where 99% of the general population will want it skewed, whether they've thought about it or not. You often read reviews (many on BMW's) where they say 'it runs out of breath at xxxx before the redline.' BMW chooses to use smaller turbos in many applications because they are more responsive/spool up faster. Better punch off the line but going back to the 'no free lunch,' less power up top.

I'm not saying bah humbug on all aftermarket parts. If you're building a car dedicated more to fun/weekend/track days v. daily commuting/driving, there's nothing wrong with focusing on parts that will increase peak power at the possible expense of low end torque. You'll be keeping the engine in the upper rev range anyway. Just do your homework and get an idea of what a mod truly can and can't do is all I'm saying.

Last edited by al503; 07-13-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 10:08 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Always take dyno claims with a grain of salt. As Magellan mentioned above, most manufacturers aren't going to spend the $ on R&D for things like direct injection, quad cams, VVT, etc., all so they could bottleneck it with the air intake...

Lexus: 'Let's make our stock intake act like a restrictor plate. That way, we can leave ~20 bhp and ~25 lb/ft torque on the table for any shop that's willing to bend some 3" pipe on a mandrel.'

Do this mod if you're flush, bored, can't leave things alone, and/or take your ride to a lot of meets. It may even sound a little better (louder) than stock. Don't do this for any actual gains as you're probably going to be disappointed.

Now, if the LC was turbocharged and you are flashing the ECU for more power, then going with a less restrictive intake might actually make a real difference.
I don't think many companies would remain in business very long if they made exaggerated dyno claims for their intake kits. K&N would have been done decades ago with all their claims if no gains were ever made with just their intakes or filters. Some companies perhaps have posted some numbers prior to SAE corrections or possibly ran some tests on a dynometer that was not correctly calibrated prior to testing but eventually those minor errors are caught and corrected.

Honda S2000 gains 6.7hp to the wheels with just an intake on it's 2.2 four cylinder naturally aspirated. So stating that a naturally aspirated 5.0L V8 that has a MAF on each intake isn't going to make any power is just silly. With a 2.8L displacement advantage and 4 more cylinders than an S2000 an 18-20hp gain to the wheels of a twin intake 5.0L V8 on the LC500 reads about right. As for turbo application when it comes to bolt-ons, it's the down pipe/s and exhaust that really give a pump in power, the intakes are minimal at best but will produce more power than a naturally aspirated motor.

Old 02-06-18, 07:05 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
I don't think many companies would remain in business very long if they made exaggerated dyno claims for their intake kits. K&N would have been done decades ago with all their claims if no gains were ever made with just their intakes or filters. Some companies perhaps have posted some numbers prior to SAE corrections or possibly ran some tests on a dynometer that was not correctly calibrated prior to testing but eventually those minor errors are caught and corrected.
The problem with dyno claims is that they are hard, if not impossible, to verify. You know this already. You make 3 runs on the same dyno with the same car on the same day and you'll most likely get three different readings. Introduce different dynos in different states of calibration/repair/wear, different conditions (temp/pressure/humidity/elevation/etc.), quality of gas, where and how many fans are blowing on the car, ad infinitum...

Honda S2000 gains 6.7hp to the wheels with just an intake on it's 2.2 four cylinder naturally aspirated. So stating that a naturally aspirated 5.0L V8 that has a MAF on each intake isn't going to make any power is just silly. With a 2.8L displacement advantage and 4 more cylinders than an S2000 an 18-20hp gain to the wheels of a twin intake 5.0L V8 on the LC500 reads about right.
Now you're making not one but two HUGE assumptions: that the stock intakes on both cars are deficient... (Disregard the first part of my reply above and that Honda, with its huge involvement in F1 and other motor sports since the '60's, put a ****ty intake on what was then, and can still be considered, a marvel of an engine. Instead of being able to claim "123 bhp/liter" in the first gen 2.0 liter, they said "120 bhp/liter is good enough. Let's get a beer.") But. Let's say for the sake of argument that the s2000 does indeed get a 6.7 bhp bump with an intake. Comparing the 2.2 in the s2000 and the 5.0 in the LC is questionable at best for obvious reasons.

as for turbo application when it comes to bolt-ons, it's the down pipe/s and exhaust that really give a pump in power, the intakes are minimal at best but will produce more power than a naturally aspirated motor.
I agree with you, here. As I mentioned above to another member, 'I was sticking to the thread topic of an aftermarket intake.'

If this intake does actually give the claimed gains, heads are going to roll at Lexus RD/Engineering. How can those responsible for designing the stock intake they try to save their job when someone with out their resources, experience, and equipment, etc., just got the same engine to put out ~+20 bhp? I'm sure we'll see Lexus adopt the new intake design so they can change the power ratings from 471 bhp and 398 lb/ft to ~491 bhp and ~423 lb/ft. I hope they offer the current buyers a free upgrade for their blunder.
Old 02-07-18, 10:51 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

The problem with dyno claims is that they are hard, if not impossible, to verify. You know this already. You make 3 runs on the same dyno with the same car on the same day and you'll most likely get three different readings. Introduce different dynos in different states of calibration/repair/wear, different conditions (temp/pressure/humidity/elevation/etc.), quality of gas, where and how many fans are blowing on the car, ad infinitum...

Now you're making not one but two HUGE assumptions: that the stock intakes on both cars are deficient... (Disregard the first part of my reply above and that Honda, with its huge involvement in F1 and other motor sports since the '60's, put a ****ty intake on what was then, and can still be considered, a marvel of an engine. Instead of being able to claim "123 bhp/liter" in the first gen 2.0 liter, they said "120 bhp/liter is good enough. Let's get a beer.") But. Let's say for the sake of argument that the s2000 does indeed get a 6.7 bhp bump with an intake. Comparing the 2.2 in the s2000 and the 5.0 in the LC is questionable at best for obvious reasons.

I agree with you, here. As I mentioned above to another member, 'I was sticking to the thread topic of an aftermarket intake.'

If this intake does actually give the claimed gains, heads are going to roll at Lexus RD/Engineering. How can those responsible for designing the stock intake they try to save their job when someone with out their resources, experience, and equipment, etc., just got the same engine to put out ~+20 bhp? I'm sure we'll see Lexus adopt the new intake design so they can change the power ratings from 471 bhp and 398 lb/ft to ~491 bhp and ~423 lb/ft. I hope they offer the current buyers a free upgrade for their blunder.

Stock 2018 LC500 air box

Primary filter inside air box
Secondary triple layered paper filter 1.5" thick just after primary filter inside stock air box

Boost Logic 6" stainless mesh conical filters with 3" intake pipes.

Do you still need an explanation as to why the stock air box is restrictive? LOL
Old 02-07-18, 11:11 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Old 02-07-18, 03:31 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
Do you still need an explanation as to why the stock air box is restrictive? LOL
LOL. Just because something might look complicated/restrictive, it must be restrictive. Right? Two things come to mind:

1. Have you ever thought that there might be a reason Lexus went to all that trouble to make such a complicated looking intake? Did the engineers say 'our shareholders are rich so lets make the intake stupid complicated and blow the budget on unnecessary R&D, mock ups, tooling, increased manufacturing costs, etc.?'

2. I would think this would go without saying but sometimes, looks can be deceiving and can be contrary to what most would consider common sense. Take the blunt/rounded nose of a submarine. One might think that a sharp, pointed nose would cut through the water better so your top speed and efficiency would benefit. But obviously, that's not how it works in practice. One might think that lowering/opening the lift gate on the back of a pick up truck would reduce air resistance/C of D, right? That makes sense, doesn't it? Why would you want a flat, solid piece of metal sitting directly perpendicular against the air flow? It turns out that having the lift gate up actually helps MPG because of how it works with the rest of the truck's aerodynamics.

Have you ever considered that the stock intake might be taking advantage of the car's aerodynamics, which might direct/concentrate air flow to the stock intake? If so, is it possible that deleting the box and changing the location of the aftermarket intake might even hurt performance?

With all that said, we just have a simple difference of opinion. I propose that we agree to disagree.
Old 02-07-18, 07:04 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

LOL. Just because something might look complicated/restrictive, it must be restrictive. Right? Two things come to mind:

1. Have you ever thought that there might be a reason Lexus went to all that trouble to make such a complicated looking intake? Did the engineers say 'our shareholders are rich so lets make the intake stupid complicated and blow the budget on unnecessary R&D, mock ups, tooling, increased manufacturing costs, etc.?'

2. I would think this would go without saying but sometimes, looks can be deceiving and can be contrary to what most would consider common sense. Take the blunt/rounded nose of a submarine. One might think that a sharp, pointed nose would cut through the water better so your top speed and efficiency would benefit. But obviously, that's not how it works in practice. One might think that lowering/opening the lift gate on the back of a pick up truck would reduce air resistance/C of D, right? That makes sense, doesn't it? Why would you want a flat, solid piece of metal sitting directly perpendicular against the air flow? It turns out that having the lift gate up actually helps MPG because of how it works with the rest of the truck's aerodynamics.

Have you ever considered that the stock intake might be taking advantage of the car's aerodynamics, which might direct/concentrate air flow to the stock intake? If so, is it possible that deleting the box and changing the location of the aftermarket intake might even hurt performance?

With all that said, we just have a simple difference of opinion. I propose that we agree to disagree.
I'm assuming the common restrictive factory air boxes help to lower emissions so that they will pass EPA requirements and possibly reduce engine noise. I would also assume factory air boxes give the vehicles the MPG as advertised in order to be competitive in sales in the quest for fuel economy.

Your argument here is moot though. The fact is, the aftermarket intakes specifically the BL for the LC500 have increased performance on my car. Do you own an LC500? Have you driven one with stock intakes at WOT and over 100+mph and then one with the Boost Logic intakes at WOT over 100+mph for any real length of time? Arguing dyno results from a company that have set many records with their Supras, GT-R's and other vehicles is kind of foolish don't you think? Why would a company who's made a name off of world records release false dyno results on a brand new halo car from Lexus that they are in R&D on for a supercharger kit? Kind of defeats the purpose don't you think?

Remember the topic is Boost Logic intakes. BL making 21hp and 26 lb ft of torque to the wheels off a set of twin intakes on a 5.0 V8 N/A is relatively comparable to what the old Coyote 5.0 Mustang motors would see with just an intake. There are plenty of dynos from all over online on different different dynometers with so many variables yet the final numbers are marginal of each other generally 16whp and 7-10 lb ft tq. for the 5.0 coyote with just an intake.

As far as your "Myth Busters" tailgate test it's wrong and I'll explain why. Myth busters did not take into account headwind or sloped elevation in their testing. If there is any elevation distance between your start point and your destination, then you would have been driving net uphill one way and net downhill the other. It has been proven by many race divisions of car manufactures in wind tunnels that a gate like on a truck with an open bed creates drag on the vehicle. Now, if your so called silly myth busters test results were indeed accurate why then do the NASCAR Camping Trucks ALL have covered beds with a small spoiler on the rear if a it creates drag having a tailgate down or off as myth busters suggested? A covered bed is relatively the same as no tailgate FYI.

Old 02-08-18, 10:25 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

^^^ agreed.