LC Model (2018-present)

Finally ready to look for a 2021-2023 LC 500 Vert, but....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 03:50 PM
yidal8
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Finally ready to look for a 2021-2023 LC 500 Vert, but....

I say finally, because I still love my 2013 Jaguar XKR convertible. Car is a pleasure to own and drive, mint with low miles and very desirable spec, but I really want an LC ......
Since I haven't personally sold these kind of cars before, need suggestions for smoothing the process of selling the XKR and the best way to go about it.

Thanks
Old 05-07-24, 05:59 PM
StuM
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
I say finally, because I still love my 2013 Jaguar XKR convertible. Car is a pleasure to own and drive, mint with low miles and very desirable spec, but I really want an LC ......
Since I haven't personally sold these kind of cars before, need suggestions for smoothing the process of selling the XKR and the best way to go about it.

Thanks
You can try your local Jag dealer as an outright sale to them. Then maybe any local sports/exotic resellers for a straight purchase, or on consignment. Seems a lot of activity on the online auctions these days for special cars, but it’s a bit of work, hit or miss and takes time. (BAT, PCar, Cars and Bids, etc)
Old 05-08-24, 05:24 AM
AutoCrazy
Pit Crew

Received 165 Likes on 92 Posts

Firstly, as a stranger to your ownership journey you mention that you still “love” your XKR convertible. Have you driven a LC500 convertible to determine that you’ll likely love it more?

Secondly, my local dealers (Ontario, Canada) listing XKR convertibles in top condition for sale are asking relatively high retail amounts; remnant pricing from the highly inflated chip shortage and pandemic market. However the vehicles are not selling. Seems the auto sales market has/is returned/returning to historical sales patterns.

You’ll likely be offered a very low trade in price through a dealer. Selling privately might yield a slightly higher sale price, but most buyers will be looking for a bargain price. Add that Jaguar vehicles historically have a higher depreciation rate and your end price for selling might be less than acceptable.

If you know you “love” the LC more than the XKR, find a dealer LC that is closest to your desired spec and use your XKR as a purchase price negotiating tool.
The following 2 users liked this post by AutoCrazy:
2959 (05-08-24), mehran888 (05-08-24)
Old 05-08-24, 06:08 AM
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Personally I'm from a "let the Dealership" handle it perspective, but I've also been exclusively Lexus for the past 10yrs so I have a pretty good rapport with my Dealership. While the purchase cost is usually higher on my end with a lower return price on my trade, I prefer the convenience of walking in/out the same day and just signing some paperwork (the pricing has normally been set before my arrival at the Dealership anyway). My advice if looking for 21-23 (you may still find a new 23 vert) is if purchasing used, only do the Lexus Certified program. To get an idea of what's available around you Dealership wise I would use this (not sure how accurate it is); https://www.lexus.com/search-invento...rim%5B%5D=9262

The following users liked this post:
AutoCrazy (05-08-24)
Old 05-09-24, 05:02 AM
yidal8
6th Gear

Thanks.
I own a 2023 GX 460 BL in Nori Green, which is my first Lexus.
Yes, I plan on L-Certified LC
Yes, I test drove a new LC, (a coupe) at the dealer last month
I doubt a Lexus dealer would be interested in my 2013 XKR trade? maybe.
Old 05-09-24, 05:18 AM
AutoCrazy
Pit Crew

Thanks.
Agree, Lexus dealer will likely wholesale to another dealer or sell at auction. The trade value will be disappointing.
Selling privately will yield your best price but it is much less convenient as 2959 noted.

2959 (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 05:18 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks.
You can trade in any car you want. It just a matter of the price they give you.
Depends on where you are, there’s some tax saving when you trade in a car.
2959 (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 06:11 AM
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks.
My current dealership has a used Jag I-Pace for sale, obviously someone traded it in. Several things I've determined with my Dealership; depends what your trading for (new has much more negotiation room than used), how bad their sales month is, buying towards the end of the month regardless and buying what they have on the lot (also cash vs financing is a motivator).

It also pays to have at least a recommended contact at the Dealership, otherwise you get the luck of the draw with the Salesperson and that can be a deal killer right there.
Old 05-09-24, 07:21 AM
StuM
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

One of our local Lexus dealers has a recently traded Jag F-Pace for sale, so some do take them in. Good luck.
Old 05-09-24, 02:23 PM
yidal8
6th Gear

Originally Posted by StuM
One of our local Lexus dealers has a recently traded Jag F-Pace for sale, so some do take them in. Good luck.
I'm sure they will take in the F-Pace on trade. That's exactly what I did when I bought the GX last year. Dealer bought off my leased F-Pace S from the bank (2 weeks before end of lease), and even paid me a nice bonus to 'sell' it to them instead of returning to the bank. Everybody was happy.
But that's different than an 11 year old XKR..................
Old 05-09-24, 03:41 PM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm sure they will take in the F-Pace on trade. That's exactly what I did when I bought the GX last year. Dealer bought off my leased F-Pace S from the bank (2 weeks before end of lease), and even paid me a nice bonus to 'sell' it to them instead of returning to the bank. Everybody was happy.
But that's different than an 11 year old XKR..................
Did you still have to pay sales tax on the residual before transferring to the dealer?
Old 05-10-24, 05:15 AM
yidal8
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tennman117
Did you still have to pay sales tax on the residual before transferring to the dealer?
No tax owed by me. The dealer got the total buy-off balance from the bank (statement good for 48 hours) and took care of it. I drove in the F-Pace, they moved the plates to the new GX and I was on my way.
However, since I bought the GX outright, It did lower my credit score , because now I have no active bank loans anymore (after 15 years of leasing Jaguars) - lol

Last edited by yidal8; 05-10-24 at 05:27 AM.
2959 (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 06:12 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

However, since I bought the GX outright, It did lower my credit score , because now I have no active bank loans anymore (after 15 years of leasing Jaguars) - lol
I get that too. I pay off any cc balances monthly and depending on the posting date my score fluctuates by as much as 8 points. It is lower when there is no balance shown on them.
Old 05-10-24, 09:44 AM
jbuffett
Intermediate

Received 177 Likes on 110 Posts

Look at any dealer's website and see what brand of used cars they have the most of. It's always the brand that they're selling new. Why? Because when a customer walks up and wants a new Lexus RX but can't afford it, the dealer can sell them a used RX for less.

Point being, your trade-in is most valuable to a dealer who sells your brand of car new. Nobody walks onto a Lexus lot looking for a used Jag, so off-brand cars tend to sit longer and have a much higher chance of going to auction.

National search on Jag XKR's shows prices in the $20-35K range, your car is likely older than any new dealer wants to deal with so it will probably end up at auction.
AutoCrazy (05-12-24)
Old 05-12-24, 08:15 PM
AutoCrazy
Pit Crew

Thanks
You’ve probably seen this new thread about a ‘21 LC vert for sale. Apparently, the pricing is good…

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...e-for-88k.html

Quick Reply: Finally ready to look for a 2021-2023 LC 500 Vert, but....