RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 09:23 AM
Sk8Surfr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD vs AWD

Any 'negatives' on the AWD cars?

I know the majority of them are RWD - I'm an Audi Quattro fan, so am partial to AWD cars - just checking that Lexus knows what they're doing when it comes to all four corners turning.

TIA!
Old 06-02-11, 09:26 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

I have an AWD. If your planning to lower your car, alot of ppl get vibrations at certain times with the AWD only. But if you wanna be practical and have to deal with harsh winters, then i would say AWD.
Old 06-02-11, 09:28 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Just two come to mind atm, heavier and more gas usage. You can stagger wheels if you're into that. I'd stick with rwd if you don't really need awd.
Old 06-02-11, 09:43 AM
NickTomsyc
Pole Position

I have AWD and love it....

as said before issues are:

MPGs - I have IS250awd and average 29.X on the car (actual works out to ~27.X) -- don't know what RWD is.

Lowering seems like a PITA - I haven't done it and won't for the vibration issues

Only had mine since Feb but we had a LOT of snow this winter in Wisconsin and it handled it all like a champ. Didn't consider the RWD just because of our winters here
Old 06-02-11, 09:50 AM
Sk8Surfr
Driver School Candidate

No winters here! (Sunny South Florida)

Not planning on lowering

I've just always even loved my Audi's in the rain.

I know I sacrifice some gas mileage with my cars now, just was really curious if there were any mechanical issues people have had.
Old 06-02-11, 10:12 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

another possible controversial thread... lol
Old 06-02-11, 10:25 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

No mechanical issues here (had mine for 2 years). Just keep your maintenance up. If you don't abuse your car then you'll be fine. I've only had to take it in twice, once for the gas valve tightening and second time for the brake pad dust TSIB.
Old 06-02-11, 10:29 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk8Surfr
Any 'negatives' on the AWD cars?

I know the majority of them are RWD - I'm an Audi Quattro fan, so am partial to AWD cars - just checking that Lexus knows what they're doing when it comes to all four corners turning.

TIA!
There have been several threads on this already- largely presenting evidence that AWD is a waste of money for most owners of it.

It's more expensive up front
It costs more in fuel
It's heavier (thus slower)
It has higher drivetrain loss in power (thus slower again)
It doesn't help braking (quite the opposite, being heavier)
It doesn't help handling either unless the vehicle is traction-limited- which very few are under 400 horsepower on a paved road in most conditions.
It's higher maintenance (extra moving parts, 2 extra differentials to maintain, etc)
It gives a false sense of security in bad road/weather conditions- including making folks drive faster than they should, and also making folks think they don't "need" winter tires in the winter because they have a magic AWD system... despite the fact tires matter a lot more than drivetrain.

Folks who actually go off-road might need it.

Folks doing rally racing certainly do. (though they kinda fall into the off-road category generally)

Folks who spend most of their time with snow on the ground might need it (though they'd be better served with a higher-clearance vehicle than an IS)

Most everyone else who has it drank the marketing k00l aid and would've been better off with 2WD.

The last thread on this went to 8 pages though- I'd suggest you read through it before posting further here to avoid repeating the same debate again:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...the-track.html

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-02-11 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 10:40 AM
cloo7
Pole Position

^^^ lol thanks for making me feel bad about my investment. I actually wanted IS 250 rwd loaded w/ automatic transmission, but this lexus business model does not allow me to get what i wanted. All dealerships around here only have 250 awd in stock, so that gave me more negotiating power. I was ready to jump ship. BMW, MB, and Audi are all nearby.

Last edited by cloo7; 06-02-11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 11:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, you could always special order what you wanted... or buy from out of state if no local dealer would be reasonable about it.
Old 06-02-11, 11:04 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was waiting for kurtz to post. I have agreed with him on the awd topic in every thread haha
Old 06-02-11, 11:30 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

^ Most everything has been said. I got the RWD because I wanted a 350 and didnt want to pay for a new car. Since you are in FL, I dont think you need to spend the extra dough to get the AWD, I kind of agree with Kurtz a few posts up.

If you plan to lower the car, get RWD
Old 06-02-11, 11:33 AM
Acingteam
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not everyone with AWD fell for their marketing. It's almost impossible to find a RWD car around where I live, most of the IS being sold are AWD because of the demographics. But I would have to agree, if you don't need AWD, definitely get the RWD one.
Old 06-22-11, 12:11 PM
xnfsx
Pole Position

i have an awd, i lowered, i run a staggered set up. I dont have any vibrations. But i do notice the gas mileage is a bit less than rwd is250s
Old 06-22-11, 02:21 PM
LexusFan77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Acingteam
Not everyone with AWD fell for their marketing. It's almost impossible to find a RWD car around where I live, most of the IS being sold are AWD because of the demographics. But I would have to agree, if you don't need AWD, definitely get the RWD one.
Same here in Nebraska. You see nothing but AWD here. RWD is useless come winter time. However if snow never happens where you are, I'd say there's no reason for it.

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD