Print Wikipost

DIY: IS-F & 2009+ Tail Light Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 10:27 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DIY: IS-F & 2009+ Tail Light Installation

I posted this DIY earlier in a different thread, but keep seeing questions about the IS-F taillight install pop up. So, I figured I'd make a dedicated thread and will cross my fingers that people actually use search to find it henceforth. Anyway, here it goes:

1. You'll need your IS-F tails (obviously), the two harnesses, and a pair of turn signal bulbs (#7440). The tails and harnesses are usually sold together, but double check before you purchase. For the turn signals, I would recommend Stealth Bulbs or LEDs so you don't get the "egg yolk" effect where you see the amber bulbs behind your clear lenses.

2. You'll also need a large flathead screwdriver, a small flathead screwdriver (~2-3mm wide) and a 10mm socket wrench. There's a 10mm wrench in the little tool pack in your trunk that you can use, but it's a LOT easier with a socket.

3. Pop off all those plastic tabs holding the trunk liner in place using a flathead screwdriver. Don't be afraid to damage them, and if you do they're cheap to replace. Just place the flathead firmly into the tab and pop it out using whatever leverage you can.

4. Remove the grocery net hook using the 10mm socket or a Philips head screwdriver. After you remove the screw, just pull the hook out. There was another hook near the top of the trunk liner that I also popped out as shown in the pictures below, but it turns out you can just leave it in there.

5. Peel back the trunk liner so you can access the backside of the outer tail lights. Remember, the IS-F tail lights ONLY replace the outers, no need to touch the inners. Be careful when peeling the liner back so as not to bend it too much and create permanent creases. It's pretty resilient though and because it's carpeted any creases you do create are hardly visible.

6. Twist the bulb assembly and pull it out from the back of the tail light. There's also a tiny connector you'll have to disconnect by pinching and pulling out.

7. Remove the three nuts that hold the outer tail light assembly in place using your 10mm socket. Do NOT let the nuts fall into the abyss.

8. Pop the outer tail light assembly out. I find the easiest way to do this is to push on the 3 rods that the nuts were on to loosen it up and them use your hands to pull the assembly straight out from outside the car. There's a little clip in the corner that still holds it in place, you just have to pull hard enough until it pops free.

9. Swap the OEM harness out with the IS-F tail light one. It's a little hard to reach down to where the connector is - you have to slide a tiny flathead screwdriver in between this little gap to release the connector tab (you'll see what I mean when you get to this point). You don't squeeze but rather pop the tab out using the screwdriver and then pull at the same time. An extra set of hands here doesn't hurt.

10. Pop the new IS-F tail light assembly in.

11. Put your new turn signal bulbs in, twist it into place and reattached that smaller connector.

12. Repeat on the other side, make sure all the bulbs function, and then put everything back together.

##############################################

If you need to remove the inner tail lights (e.g. if you're upgrading your '06-'08 tail lights to 2009+), it's even easier than the outers:

1. Peel the fender liner back.

2. There are two plastic covered bolts on the side, remove them.

3. There are two other bolts on each side behind the fender liner directly behind the inners, remove just the lower of the two.

4. Disconnect the wire harness. You do this in two stages, first by disconnecting the part that attaches the harness wire to the metal part of the trunk by squeezing on the white tab and wiggling it out. Don't make the mistake I did and try squeezing it with tweezers or something and scratching the paint. It's easier with your fingers. The second step is to disconnect the male connector from the female connect by squeezing the tab and pulling.

5. Pop out the inners.

Here are some pictures that might help for the outers:

Starting to pull the liner back after removing all the hook and clips:

All the stuff you remove:

Step #5, pulling the liner back to access the backside of the outer tails:

After popping the assembly out:

Here's the clip (the white thing) I mention in step #8:

Another view:

Finished with one side:

Another angle:

A comparison of the OEM vs. IS-F tails. Notice the different pattern, which is why you need the different harness:

##############################################

I had to recite this all from memory (since I did the install a couple of months ago), but I think that's all there is to it. Just take your time, it's a pretty easy DIY (which is probably why one wasn't made until now). If you're in NorCal and need help with the install, shoot me a PM.

Last edited by brociouz; 11-19-12 at 08:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MrHarris (02-08-22)
Old 12-14-10, 10:42 AM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great DIY! big thanks!!!
Old 12-14-10, 10:52 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice, brociouz! My ISF tails have been ordered, and this will be extremely helpful.
Old 12-14-10, 10:58 AM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Nice write-up! This thread should be stickied.
Old 12-14-10, 04:21 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Great DIY write up and pics brociouz
Old 12-14-10, 05:57 PM
ILL250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man this is going to be very helpful with my install
Old 12-14-10, 10:51 PM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bookmarked. thanks
Old 12-23-10, 07:32 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice DIY.... I have been resisting this mod. But with Sewell's lower price and this DIY thread I couldn't resist. Thanks!
Old 12-23-10, 07:43 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting this DIY at a perfect time! I was actually looking for one but couldn't find one.
Old 12-23-10, 09:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice DIY Brian. Easy enough installation, but It got tiresome with my ebay tails since the outer two don't work! Removed OEM, Installed ebay tails but had codes thrown so had to put the old ones back. I left the inner two in once I figured it was the outer ones causing a problem. The fix someone told me though, is that I need a resister to tap into the the outer lights wiring harness.
Old 12-23-10, 10:59 PM
650IS350
Lead Lap

keeping this so when I get my ISF taillights begging of next year.
Old 12-24-10, 07:11 AM
awd_pwnz
Driver

Where's the cheapest place you guys purchase your is-f outer tails?
Old 12-24-10, 12:29 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

very nice write up Brian!
Old 12-27-10, 09:33 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice DIY Brian. Easy enough installation, but It got tiresome with my ebay tails since the outer two don't work! Removed OEM, Installed ebay tails but had codes thrown so had to put the old ones back. I left the inner two in once I figured it was the outer ones causing a problem. The fix someone told me though, is that I need a resister to tap into the the outer lights wiring harness.
Tim to the rescue?

Originally Posted by awd_pwnz
Where's the cheapest place you guys purchase your is-f outer tails?
Sewell is (or was) having a holiday sale for a little under $350 as I recall.
Old 12-27-10, 10:19 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice DYI, thanks again Brociouz...

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F & 2009+ Tail Light Installation