IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pics of removing boot lid liner

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 12:52 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of removing boot lid liner

i was attempting to swap the license plate LED's to the parking lights to see if i should order some. i didn't quite complete the task as you'll see. i did take some photo's of removing the trunk liner and metal guard. i didn't take any overall scale photo's, which would have helped. maybe someone has already done this?

just some tools, notice the top secret paper clip tool, more on this later.

the top has some velco attachments to tighten up the finish of the liner. on mince, the sticky side was not stuck on the metal, so this was easy.

velco errr, sticker on handle side.

pop these suckers off, for some reason engineers still think this is the best plug. whoever has the patent on this (might be dead) is farting through silk. there's something like 7-9 of them, one pic is enough.

ok, here's the first "figure this one out". all the plugs pop off, but the liner is still attached by the yellow "suprise the mafia" emergency pull. from the left side, slide your hand in and snap the cable up and out of it's retaining collar.

pop!

then the part that will test your dexterity. there's a one way clip right in the middle, holding your whole liner on. PITA! i didn't just try to pull, fearing i might break it and have a $700 repair on my hands. so i developed a tool to reach to the backside and un-latch the clip. and voila! notice the small scratches, i'm AR.

reverse view of top secret paper clip tool, when the liner was off.

now you have more room to work, pull the yellow tab gently to inflate, errr, pull the yellow tab out. and you'll see a metal stopper.

pull the stopper out of the glow tag.

Old 09-18-07, 01:00 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Default Part 2

that will leave it looking like this.

back on your left side ease the cable off of the pulley and out of the retainer.

on your right, now you can pull the stopper out. finally! it's detached!

detached.

ease the corners off.

there's two sides to every issue.

widest angle pic i took.

yet another thing in the way! i have no idea why this is here but it is. most likely to prevent squashing of the wires or something. so just use a nice wrench and take it off.

key (manual key) side.

sticker? i think not! a clever clip plug. another PITA. you grab the black metal thing and you pull. listen for the clip to bounce around, it becomes a projectile!

Old 09-18-07, 01:03 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Default Part 3 geez

i found it 10 feet away and held it back for you guys.

i have access! pull!

no bulb! crap!

so i try to unscrew the 'toyota' light housing but i don't have a good angle on it. i striped the screw a teeny tiny bit and i gave up. BOOO!

thanks for looking!
Old 09-18-07, 04:23 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

lol thanks for contributing... why the last picture has two TOYOTA signs vs 0 LEXUS signs!!
Old 09-18-07, 08:00 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

good info
Old 09-18-07, 08:16 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hate to tell you this, but taking out the entire emergency trunk latch mechanism was totally unnecessary. you just have to take off the black plastic cover on the outside, then pull the glow in the dark thing and unlatch the cable. got this info from the instructions when installing the oem spoiler. good info nonetheless!
Old 09-18-07, 09:38 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by hapaboy
i was attempting to swap the license plate LED's to the parking lights to see if i should order some. i didn't quite complete the task as you'll see. i did take some photo's of removing the trunk liner and metal guard. i didn't take any overall scale photo's, which would have helped. maybe someone has already done this?
Nice photos...

Do you think swinging by the local Lexus/Toyota Dealership, researching the part number & price and possibly even buying 2 on the spot, would have been just a bit easier ??

Also, are they even the same size / stlye wedge bulb?? I haven't researched this yet...

Joe Z
Old 09-18-07, 04:07 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Nice DIY pics and write-up. Only thing, all this work and you don't have a happy ending ???
Old 09-18-07, 08:43 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Nice photos...
Do you think swinging by the local Lexus/Toyota Dealership, researching the part number & price and possibly even buying 2 on the spot, would have been just a bit easier ??
Also, are they even the same size / stlye wedge bulb?? I haven't researched this yet...
Joe Z
yep it sure would have. but i like to take things apart, lexus wasn't open at 10p.m., and who knows what the bulb costs. anyone have a part number??????

Originally Posted by socalJD
Nice DIY pics and write-up. Only thing, all this work and you don't have a happy ending ???
no i went for a happy ending someplace else.

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
hate to tell you this, but taking out the entire emergency trunk latch mechanism was totally unnecessary. you just have to take off the black plastic cover on the outside, then pull the glow in the dark thing and unlatch the cable. got this info from the instructions when installing the oem spoiler. good info nonetheless!
really? shoots brah! i couldn't pull that glow pull any more out. oh well.
Old 05-18-08, 08:02 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh man yeah bringing back life to an old thread....but I have the same exact problem as you do bro

I too need to pull the rear license plate light housing out too not for the bulb but to pass a wire through from the outside (see the link to my thread I made)

did you by any chance have more luck on figuring it out?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=355956
Old 05-18-08, 08:30 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iskcon
oh man yeah bringing back life to an old thread....but I have the same exact problem as you do bro

did you by any chance have more luck on figuring it out?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=355956
how funny we posted in each others thread at the same time.

no, i just wrapped everything back together and left it. there's other more important things for me to do. good luck!
Old 05-18-08, 08:44 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol yeah that's funny....but yeah thanks...

if anyone has the subscription to the toyota tech thing, if they see instructions for opening this...could they let me know please cause then I'll buy the one day access thing
Old 05-18-08, 09:44 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but your pictures aren't clear enough.

Could you please start over!

Thanks!
Old 04-20-09, 10:40 AM
Lohus
Pole Position

The license plate light could not be removed like you've pictured... it could be removed only outside the trunk lid, here are the pictures from the techdoc:

Old 11-16-10, 05:12 PM
birdvillag
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lohus
The license plate light could not be removed like you've pictured... it could be removed only outside the trunk lid, here are the pictures from the techdoc:

sorry, if you moved out the pictures...i see no pictures here..

Quick Reply: Pics of removing boot lid liner