IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ABS light On, trac light on after wheel bearing replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 05:03 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts
Default ABS light On, trac light on after wheel bearing replace

Hi guys. Got my drivers side wheel bearing replaced and now my abs light is on as well as my trac light. It is the Timken brand. Will a pax side bearing bolt on the drivers side? The shop ordered both but the other box had a Mazda wheel bearing inside. So they only replaced the drivers side which had the problem anyway. But now they are saying the drivers side might actually be the pax side that they installed hence the lights. Isn’t timken side specific? So technically a pax side won’t bolt to drivers side and vice versa?
Old 02-26-21, 07:12 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I just had my wheel bearings replaced while doing some preventative maintenance. I did replace with Timken hubs (which are side specific), when I asked the mechanic when he installed them about specific drivers side vs passenger side and what the difference were he said they were identical except for the fact that you would just have to flip the wheel speed/abs sensor backwards and it should connect just fine by twisting the wire if you had two of the same side hubs.

Maybe they didn't flip the connector around and plugged in in backwards?
Old 02-26-21, 07:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

They have specific part numbers.. L & R

Any reason why you didn't pick up OEM hubs..??

Timken

OEM

Joe Z
Old 02-26-21, 07:34 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I just had my wheel bearings replaced while doing some preventative maintenance. I did replace with Timken hubs (which are side specific), when I asked the mechanic when he installed them about specific drivers side vs passenger side and what the difference were he said they were identical except for the fact that you would just have to flip the wheel speed/abs sensor backwards and it should connect just fine by twisting the wire if you had two of the same side hubs.

Maybe they didn't flip the connector around and plugged in in backwards?
how do you flip them? The connectors only go one way. So you’re saying that the pax side can be placed on the drivers side and just flip the connectors?
Old 02-26-21, 07:36 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
They have specific part numbers.. L & R

Any reason why you didn't pick up OEM hubs..??

Joe Z
availabilty. Timken was available in my area. So you cannot just swap left and right but they just bolt in on either side without any problem?
Old 02-26-21, 08:25 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by av8or
availabilty. Timken was available in my area. So you cannot just swap left and right but they just bolt in on either side without any problem?
I honestly couldn't tell you.. I haven't done mine yet..

The sensor is marked L & R for sure. That I know.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...earings-2.html

Joe Z
Old 02-26-21, 08:34 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

how do you flip them? The connectors only go one way. So you’re saying that the pax side can be placed on the drivers side and just flip the connectors?
That's what he told me🤷‍♂️....the hubs were already installed when I picked it up so I was just asking out of curiosity (why or what the differences between driver and passenger side hubs on the ISF). He made it sound like the connector is just flipped 180 degrees on the hub so your harness/wire would just flip to match the connector on the hub?

Maybe Lance can chime in since he's done the Timken hubs on his car I think🤔
Old 02-26-21, 09:41 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Made this mistake. You will get those lights when the speed sensor is not connected, but most likely they broke the speed sensor. Its very fragile and easy to forget to remove before pulling the assembly apart, the stem will snap with minimal force. I only unplugged it instead of unbolting it, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal... but there is about a 2'' stem that sticks inside the hub and when I pulled the hub off it sheared the stem on removal, and easy to go unnoticed when putting it back together. This happened to me on the rears, the sensor only bolts on one direction and the plug will only go in one direction. The factory sensor is around $212 but was able to snag an off brand one off of amazon for cheap and it worked great.

Last edited by dcguy; 02-26-21 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 02-27-21, 01:31 PM
galaxy7
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm shopping for a sensor right now for a hub replacement issue. Have a bad hub/bearing and the dealer said the sensor is also bad. Just checked RockAuto and they have a lot of options for sensors. Prices range from $13 to $150 for the sensor. Don't really understand that part. What's the difference between them from one sensor (brand) to the other?
Old 02-27-21, 02:01 PM
av8or
Intermediate

So I finally got the right Timken part put in by the mechanic. The one that they previously installed has a stamped R near the ABS connector ( I needed the driver side ). It was messing up the speed sensor on manual mode, gear would not cycle to first gear going to a stop. It stays on whatever gear I had. So I checked the correct part prior to install and it says L and all the lights went away immediately after a short drive and gears now cycles to first on manual mode coming to a stop. Also there is no way to flip the connectors. They are specific on driver and pax side due to spinning of the abs sensors ( clockwise for pax and counter clockwise for driver.
As a final thought, Timken and Duralast are the ones for the isf as they are side specific. Moog brand is neither side specific. Dealer I spoke with says it works on both sides. Also Moog for the isf will have the blue plastic cover at the end and not black. Timken is the most expensive then Moog and Duralast the cheapest. Hope this helps isf owners.
Old 02-27-21, 03:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

@av8or don't forget the OEM parts I listed.. They seemed to be priced well from online Lexus stores..

@galaxy7 I believe the sensor comes already on a new hub..

Joe Z
Old 02-27-21, 10:50 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
@av8or don't forget the OEM parts I listed.. They seemed to be priced well from online Lexus stores.

Joe Z
it has been posted that Timken is the OEM part. Credit goes to “MCPIERSON” for the pic

Old 02-28-21, 12:47 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

it has been posted that Timken is the OEM part. Credit goes to “MCPIERSON” for the pic
Im not sure that was actually truly confirmed in that thread.. @lobuxracer had these both in his hands..

I have some new OEM fronts on the shelf for a rainy day, I'll get some pics..!!

http://www.showmetheparts.com/timkenmobile/

Joe Z
Old 02-28-21, 09:40 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,861 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I got the wrong part in the right box from Rock Auto twice. You have to validate the part when you take it out of the box. The ONLY difference between left and right is the speed sensor.

You can also remove the speed sensor from your old hub and install it on a new hub. The FSM shows how to do this, and there are videos on YouTube showing the same thing. The factory procedure makes it sound difficult. The videos show it's not hard at all with some basic tools.

dcguy - sounds like yours was the rear hub. If that is the case, yes, it is common for those who have no experience to damage the speed sensor on the rear hubs.

So, I'm NOT endorsing this as the do-all be-all video, but it does show pretty clearly how the speed sensor comes off and how it can be installed. The factory says you need a bearing splitter to remove the sensor and you need a press to put it on. I don't think it's quite that critical, but that's the for sure way to do it right.

The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (02-28-21)
Old 02-10-23, 02:27 PM
Devan1234
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, i had the same problem

Quick Reply: ABS light On, trac light on after wheel bearing replace