IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Aftermarket extended exhaust melting replica diffusers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 05:14 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Aftermarket extended exhaust melting replica diffusers?

I was wondering if anyone had issues with their exhaust tips touching replica diffusers (WALD and Tom's reps) and having them melt? I've read that some owners on even the authentic diffusers have had their exhaust tips touch or rub on the real diffusers. Just wasn't sure if anyone has replica ones installed in this situation as I'd like to avoid melting the diffuser and bumper all together? I love the look of carbon fiber but for mainly daily driving, I'd hate to crack/chip any of the pieces or have it fade from the sun.
Old 06-12-19, 06:03 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a rep Tom's diffuser in black and attempted to do the RR Racing Bazooka/magnaflow tips as an add on for my Borla. The tips touched the diffuser on many edges and I decided against it. If I were to do it again, I would do the tips but with a Lexon diffuser.
Old 06-12-19, 06:13 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
I have a rep Tom's diffuser in black and attempted to do the RR Racing Bazooka/magnaflow tips as an add on for my Borla. The tips touched the diffuser on many edges and I decided against it. If I were to do it again, I would do the tips but with a Lexon diffuser.
That was actually one of the setups I would like to do. That's unfortunate because I really like the RR Racing and ISS Forged exhausts and the Tom's style diffuser looks great. I wish the openings were a little bigger. I just wanted to see if anyone in the community had any luck or experience with this. The Lexon doesn't look bad but a little too simple for me. I guess because there's a lot of generic diffusers on the market now that people slap them on to just about everything.
Old 06-12-19, 06:27 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
I guess because there's a lot of generic diffusers on the market now that people slap them on to just about everything.
I'm the other way. Every meet I go to or just scrolling through IG nearly everyone has the Tom's or rep, while Lexon only seems to be 2 people on the forums, and maybe 2-3 others from many years old google photo searches. Wald looks great also and while less common will likely experience the same touching issue. However, the tips are double walled if I recall correctly so it's not like it will be insanely hot and melt immediately or very visibly. Hopefully others can shed more light on this.
Old 06-12-19, 09:40 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Extended tips plus diffuser (real or rep) leaves so little clearance that they're gonna make contact eventually. Over time, hangers age & sag, diffusers make contact with curbs, and aftermarket resonators hit speed bumps, especially if the vehicle is lowered.

Choose one or the other imho, unless you drive slow everywhere you go. And if that's the case, why even own an f?

Last edited by tas02; 06-12-19 at 09:43 AM.