IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pulling trigger on coilovers, pls look over my choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 01:59 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

Sorry if I missed this, but what are the spring rates for the V3? Which one is more track friendly?
I believe the KWV3 spring rates are 11/8. Might be on the softer side for track duty. They also require you to cut your top hats as well to retain the OEM quietness and feel.
Old 03-21-19, 02:26 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
I believe the KWV3 spring rates are 11/8. Might be on the softer side for track duty. They also require you to cut your top hats as well to retain the OEM quietness and feel.
Yes, I've been told kw v3 is 11 kg front and 8 kg per rear. I have them on my car and they are quiet and smooth for sure at any ride height I've had them at, although its not recommended that you ride "slammed" with these, which i don't anyways. I don't track so can't comment on that.
Old 03-21-19, 02:52 PM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
Yes, I've been told kw v3 is 11 kg front and 8 kg per rear. I have them on my car and they are quiet and smooth for sure at any ride height I've had them at, although its not recommended that you ride "slammed" with these, which i don't anyways. I don't track so can't comment on that.
Riding below their "drop" specifications voids your warranty. I'm not sure how they can tell though.
Old 03-21-19, 04:00 PM
SCORP69
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have KW V3 FOR two years now. I have them set two clicks counter clock wise. about perfect for SoCal. I haven't tried any other settings except what is set from out of the box which was rough here in SoCal streets.
Old 03-22-19, 01:16 AM
Kubbz
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Greddy KW's I'm not liking them

Originally Posted by FFM
Agree with the above. GReddy/KW from MIJ are much less than advertised MSRP and I trust KW’s valving all day compared to BC’s for the same price.

I do believe you can dial in the BC’s especially when mated with the Swift springs, but the moment you enter preload adjustability into the mix you need to be quite suspension savvy to know what you are doing.

The Greddy’s I daily two clicks from full stiff and rides great. I may go Öhlins some day but for the price I’d be tempted to go bags and it ride like a Cadillac since this car will always just be a point A to B vehicle, a fun one at least
I recently bought the Greddy KW's, been running them for a month now. It just doesn't inspire confidence at highway passing speeds. Feels like the car is lifted and riding on tall skinny tires. In other words it will easily dart left or right with minimal input. Compared to my 2011 OEM suspension which felt much more planted at higher speed and stable ( 2 clicks in the front and 1.5 rear) The worse part is the steering feels overly touchy and not in a good way. Btw I have not done alignment as yet. My goal is slightly stiffer in the rear than OEM, other than that I was happy with the OEM set up. I plan to track maybe once a year. I use this car as my daily
Old 03-22-19, 02:17 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Interesting.

Ive had cruise control set in the 110-120mph range up in Canada taking highway corners through the pass and never once felt uneasy about the experience.

I’d venture to guess your steering input issues are from the alignment. I punched it on a back road today and hit a small bridge connection at 80mph that nearly jumped the entire vehicle and they controlled the rebound no issues. Wasn’t anticipating that dip but handled it just fine haha.

The Greddy’s are merely a V2 KW with a galvanized shock body a higher spring rate, something people claim is too low on the V3’s for this chassis. V3’s have compression adjustment, but I doubt there’s more than a handful on here that have even adjusted/fine tuned it. It rides “smoother” in part by using the stock rubber top hats which doesn’t transfer as much road vibration. Similar to the stock LCA’s vs the RR ones.
Old 03-23-19, 10:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Tracking with rates that low will allow the inside rear wheel to come off the ground. The OEM suspension does this on track, so a softer rate will only make it worse. Like most things suspension, they might feel good, but they won't provide mechanical grip when you really want it.
Old 03-23-19, 10:53 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Tracking with rates that low will allow the inside rear wheel to come off the ground. The OEM suspension does this on track, so a softer rate will only make it worse. Like most things suspension, they might feel good, but they won't provide mechanical grip when you really want it.
These rates seem way to low for this heavy car.’comfort isn’t about low spring rates, it is about matching spring rates with the appropriate dampening and rebound (I think, I’m learning).

Thats why I will go custom builds by Figs or RR. They can help you get what you want and still perform.
Old 03-23-19, 11:27 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil

These rates seem way to low for this heavy car.’comfort isn’t about low spring rates, it is about matching spring rates with the appropriate dampening and rebound (I think, I’m learning).

Thats why I will go custom builds by Figs or RR. They can help you get what you want and still perform.
To a point, this is true, however, lighter springs need less damping so wheel compliance is easier to maintain all else being equal (which it never actually is). The real problems are when people crank up compression damping to compensate for inadequate spring rates. It's a band-aid at best, and an utter disaster at worst. The other problem is, very few shocks have useful adjustments for damping control. The only adjustable shocks I've seen that produce consistent results from using the adjusters are Penske. Everything else is a guessing game and no two units are the same. While it may sound useful for owners to exchange configuration information, it is very unlikely adjusting two different shocks to the same settings will produce the same results (with the exception of Penske, and probably the higher end Ohlins). At least one of the CL vendors is providing shock dyno charts with a lower cost option so you can at least be confident the four units you are installing are reasonably matched. Without dyno charts, it's Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get.

Even springs suffer this fate. Few spring brands actually measure out at their rated numbers, which is why Hypercoil is so popular in the racing community. You get the rate the box says you should. Once again, if you want an education in mechanical grip and performance, go here: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html. The guy is pretty opinionated, but he's forgot more about suspension than I'll likely ever know and won a few championships along the way.
Old 03-23-19, 04:04 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bilstein does offer dyno graph sheets at extra cost
Old 03-23-19, 09:24 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who has put Swift springs 16/12k on kw v3?

I've had these coilovers on for a while and considering the upgrade. According to site vendors they say this is a common upgrade but yet have had anyone comment on the improvements
Old 03-24-19, 07:32 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by samjones
Bilstein does offer dyno graph sheets at extra cost
I might have missed this, what size tires are you running? I'm leaning towards doing the bilsteins myself.
Old 03-24-19, 09:26 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubbz
I recently bought the Greddy KW's, been running them for a month now. It just doesn't inspire confidence at highway passing speeds. Feels like the car is lifted and riding on tall skinny tires. In other words it will easily dart left or right with minimal input. Compared to my 2011 OEM suspension which felt much more planted at higher speed and stable ( 2 clicks in the front and 1.5 rear) The worse part is the steering feels overly touchy and not in a good way. Btw I have not done alignment as yet. My goal is slightly stiffer in the rear than OEM, other than that I was happy with the OEM set up. I plan to track maybe once a year. I use this car as my daily
This is probably more a rear toe related felling than a shock setup as the rear multi-link changes quite a bit in bump. One reason we adjust the rear geometry.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-24-19, 09:36 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
I went from swift 16k front and 14k rear BC coilovers to Penske 18k front and 16k rear and all I can say is BC coilovers ride like garbage. If you ever make the change you WILL know exactly what I’m talking about. BC coilovers to me felt really harsh and never settled well after bumps. No matter how much I tried adjusting the damper for them it never felt good to me.
This sounds more like the spring balance was off. We found the car way more stable with the change in the rear spring and damping configuration and the separation between the 2 targets different natural frequencies. With the rates so close together and perhaps the damping was off as well, the car will oscillate back and forth. This will make things worse as you factor in bump steer and geometry changes while driving and the way the shocks are handling the motion. The more sophisticated valving can compensate better but they may have been setup drastically differently as well or ride height and alignment might have bee different between the 2 setups. We just won 2 national racing series on BC DS series shock with an extensive setup so I think it's unfair to call them garbage based on the 2 data points.

If you are more spirited than the DS series might be a better fit. There are no 2 customers that have identical ride preferences, budgets and setup experience. That is why we are here to help.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-24-19, 12:42 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton6964
I might have missed this, what size tires are you running? I'm leaning towards doing the bilsteins myself.
I was on the RCF set up wheels and tires (255/35/19 & 275/35/19)....since then I have switched to a square set up 255/35/19 with different wheels