New ISF Owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 08:41 PM
ISFMatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New ISF Owner with a few questions

Hello all ISF owners!

I recently bought a high mileage 08 ISF, which I believe it to be the cheapest one for sale in the united states, paid only 11k for it with a clean title. As expected it came with a few minor issues given the price and the mileage on it. My question is, besides the obvious oil change, spark plugs, and etc what else do you all recommend I do to ensure that glorious V8 keeps roaring forever? I would also appreciate any suggestions on websites and stores in or around ct that could help me find the parts I need to bring the car back to its original glory. Some of the issues I'm having are as follows:

1-Touch screen does not work (bought a new digitizer on ebay, hope that fixes the issue).
2-Driver side mirror can't be adjusted.
3-Lumbar support on the driver's seat does not work, and overall operation of the seat is very slow.
4-Something stuck on the sunroof, will not open/close.
5-Rear is slightly sagging, won't know the extent until I put the car on a lift.

I am sure more will come up as I start working on the car, but for now that's all I could identify in my short 20 minute drive.

Thank you in advance for the help!
Old 12-17-18, 04:39 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Make sure you buy legit plugs from a reputable source. A lot of counterfeits that can cause issues.

the rears all sag. Mine has 30k miles and it does it. We have a bit of a reverse rake. Some members lower the front or put spacers in the rear to correct it.

RR racing and Figs are highly valued Vendors. Meraki seems to be very active on this board and usually willing to help out.
Old 12-17-18, 05:22 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

First welcome to CL for oem parts Lexusparts.com. Cheaper than dealership all genuine OEM Lexus parts

Motors are definitely going out on that seat don't know how difficult it would be to you change out the motors might be easier just to swap out seats you guys selling seats online here on CL ebay etc.

Mirror and moonroof could be relay or bad motor on both moonroof and mirror, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's a bad relay or electrical issue for sidemirror and moonroof.

Regarding rear sagging even if the shocks were blown the car still would not sag, and odds of springs being that worn out are low but it could happen. How many miles on this ISF?

Use this to help you find part numbers description pic of parts etc.http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus

The following users liked this post:
Rickna (12-17-18)
Old 12-17-18, 06:29 AM
ISFMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Make sure you buy legit plugs from a reputable source. A lot of counterfeits that can cause issues.

the rears all sag. Mine has 30k miles and it does it. We have a bit of a reverse rake. Some members lower the front or put spacers in the rear to correct it.

RR racing and Figs are highly valued Vendors. Meraki seems to be very active on this board and usually willing to help out.
That makes sense, it's really not a bad sag just a small difference from the front. i was planning on doing coilovers on it anyways, so that could help. Thanks!
Old 12-17-18, 06:39 AM
ISFMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Weapon F
First welcome to CL for oem parts Lexusparts.com. Cheaper than dealership all genuine OEM Lexus parts

Motors are definitely going out on that seat don't know how difficult it would be to you change out the motors might be easier just to swap out seats you guys selling seats online here on CL ebay etc.

Mirror and moonroof could be relay or bad motor on both moonroof and mirror, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's a bad relay or electrical issue for sidemirror and moonroof.

Regarding rear sagging even if the shocks were blown the car still would not sag, and odds of springs being that worn out are low but it could happen. How many miles on this ISF?

Use this to help you find part numbers description pic of parts etc.http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus
Car has 160k miles.
I'm definitely going to try to swap out the motors on the seat before buying a whole seat, the seats are overall in great condition. As far as the sunroof goes the seller told me there was something stuck in there, blamed it on his kids lol I'm hoping if I get out whatever is in there than all will be well, but chances are something will definitely need replacing.
Old 12-17-18, 08:58 AM
Jwconeil

We look forward to following your progress.
Old 12-17-18, 11:19 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice! Congrats! I just picked an 08 myself with 145k on it.
Old 12-17-18, 06:53 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats and welcome!
Quick question though. Why didn't you opt to buy an 08 for around $20k? Would probably have been around the same mileage as this one and I'm sure less "issues". You're going to fast approaching $20k anyhow after it's all said and done. Anyhow, just my thinking, lol. Enjoy!!

V.
Old 12-19-18, 08:35 PM
ISFMatt
Driver School Candidate

The opportunity just came up to buy the car from a friend of mine, I have another car so not concerned with having a bit of a project. I hope it won't cost me anywhere close to 20k tbh lol
Old 12-20-18, 05:44 AM
Jwconeil

You can fix this stuff for under 8k. The potentially expensive stuff is a new seat (a set of 2 fronts is roughly 1000), and a new radio screen. Idk how much those are. If you just replace the seat motor, much cheaper. I think you made a good purchase.
Old 12-20-18, 06:12 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

You can fix this stuff for under 8k. The potentially expensive stuff is a new seat (a set of 2 fronts is roughly 1000), and a new radio screen. Idk how much those are. If you just replace the seat motor, much cheaper. I think you made a good purchase.
$11k purchase price plus $8k in repairs puts him right at $20k.....quicker, less work/frustration to buy a clean 80-120k mile 08 for $20k imo. Ever will all the repairs, this car is still approaching 200k miles fast.
Also, something tells me that it's .or an easy fix for the sunroof. If it was as easy as pulling a stuck item out, I'm sure the previous owner would have done that by now!

V.
Old 12-20-18, 06:53 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Doesn't sound like that friend of yours cared very much about this particular ISF unfortunately and dumped it for cheap...
Old 12-20-18, 06:56 AM
ISFMatt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
$11k purchase price plus $8k in repairs puts him right at $20k.....quicker, less work/frustration to buy a clean 80-120k mile 08 for $20k imo. Ever will all the repairs, this car is still approaching 200k miles fast.
Also, something tells me that it's .or an easy fix for the sunroof. If it was as easy as pulling a stuck item out, I'm sure the previous owner would have done that by now!

V.
I bough a new digitizer for $40, pretty sure that'll fix the headunit. New sunroof assembly with a motor is like $450 on Ebay worst case scenario. Seat motors will probably fix the issue for under $400. If not I'll get some nice bucket seats if anything. Car drives great so it'll give me some time to fix everything without having it sit around.
Old 12-20-18, 06:56 AM
ISFMatt
Driver School Candidate

I don't regret it (yet anyways). I honestly love it
Old 12-20-18, 07:03 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Congrats and welcome!
Quick question though. Why didn't you opt to buy an 08 for around $20k? Would probably have been around the same mileage as this one and I'm sure less "issues". You're going to fast approaching $20k anyhow after it's all said and done. Anyhow, just my thinking, lol. Enjoy!!

V.
rubbing salt on the wound....lol

Quick Reply: New ISF Owner with a few questions