IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tire recommendations for stock 2011 ISF

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 02:09 PM
krbennett
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire recommendations for stock 2011 ISF

After a little over a year with my 2011 on stock wheels and suspension, I need new tires. I'd like to go a bit wider while not risking fitment/rubbing issues.

Are 245/30/19 and 275/35/19 the sizes I should stick too?

I'm thinking of Bridgestone Potenza SO4 Pole Position but I'd welcome recommendations for alternatives.
Old 12-01-18, 02:53 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

245/35 and 275/30 are the common upgrade sizes
I'm on these size tires, lowered on the front. Had some mild rubbing on a small section of the RF inner fender liner which I fixed by cutting off that small section

May go with 285s in the rear next time for a more aggressive look

The following users liked this post:
Riv8 (12-01-22)
Old 12-01-18, 02:54 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

The size you need for your wheels is 245/35/19 and 275/30/19. I would recommend the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Great tire and I’m on my second set. There’s a good thread on them in this forum.
Carlos250 (09-13-20)
Old 12-01-18, 04:53 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

Michelin ps4s is the best.
GaaraOTS (12-04-18)
Old 12-01-18, 04:54 PM
krbennett
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I'll check out that thread.
Old 12-01-18, 05:41 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewISF
The size you need for your wheels is 245/35/19 and 275/30/19. I would recommend the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Great tire and I’m on my second set. There’s a good thread on them in this forum.
Hears another great tire option General Gmax RS. Here is review I did on them its a little long lol but hope it helps
Hey guys sorry about the delay wanted to live with tires for few months and see how they performed under different weather, roads, breaking, noise, handling etc. Also had cervical fusion of several vertebrae, slip disks and herniated disk of my lumbar and hip issue had accident at work cant discuss .Let just say my car is in better shape than I am �� lol. Because of these physical issues I have not been driving car much most time driven by brother or friends thats why it takes me a long time to do review. Also HAD to modify my suspension but that's a whole other thread.

Here repost of I did for a CL member asking questions about GMAX RS

The reason I went with Gmax was couldn't get the Firehawk Indy 500 anywhere at the time they were completely sold out no matter where I looked. I was talking to one of the tirerack reps when he recommended this tire to me he had told me that they had recently went on a track Day event for tirerack and this is one of the tires that they were using that day. One of the things he told me was that everyone seem to really like the tire that it was comprable to Firehawk and it had a 45-day trial. If you didn't like them you can send them back. I called tirerack the next day spoke to a different rep ask him about the gmax and his experience he basically told me the same thing great Tire excellent in the wet very good in the dry. One of the things I did find out online was that it had one second place for best new tire at Sema 2017 behind all terrain tire. They will come be oem tires for 715hp Roush Mustang.
Here are three reviews if you haven't seen them yet. The Firehawk indy 500 is great tire i i don't see much of difference with these two other than Firehawk may have bit better grip in dry but Gmax has better grip in wet and higher wear capability it's basically a 50000 mile Tire which is crazy for high-performance summer Tire. Since you're in California rain isn't that big of an issue for you as it is for me here being in New York where it rains a whole lot LOL.

https://www.sema.org/news/2017/10/31...-award-winners

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gene...ires-are-made/

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...s-to-the-test/

Its excellent in the rain very good in the dry you're getting an a rated A quality tire but paying B rated tire price. There relatively quiet extremely compliant over rough roads potholes Expansion Joints things of that nature very good ride quality.
They have AA Traction rating highest you can get, W speed rating 168mph thats higher than toyo R888 They are 360 wear which means 60000 miles that crazy high for UHP summer tire and A temperature rating once again the highest rating you can get. On scale of 1 to 10
10 being best like Michelin PS4 I rate them 8.5 to 9 similar to the old Michelin PSS. But half price. These and Firehawk Indy 500 are both great tires for price. There are a few tires that have better dry grip such as of PS4s and a few others. But for price and what you get they are bargin. If your looking for ultimate in Traction then PS4 are still great in that depart but these are not to far behind.

I have the them in 255 /35/19F they did not rub stock and with 1in drop in front same goes for 275/35/19R. No issues usless your really lowered.

One last thing Gmax RS are 4lbs lighter than Firehawk 500. I fell firehawk have just bit more dry traction but Gmax are very close and way better in wet in hands down. Long life, more comfortable compliant quieter Tire.

I may just post this up as thread your third person this month asking about them.

SO if you're looking for a great handling responsive tire that is phenomenal in the rain great in the dry not noisy compliance ride and won't break the bank these are great alternative are they as good as Michelin PS4s no are they pretty close yes.

The Weapon F
Old 12-01-18, 08:52 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdsong
very true, my choice
Old 12-01-18, 08:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi

very true, my choice
As long as the outside temperature is above 45F. Under that, the front end chatters like a squirrel on a u-turn and the back end steps out with only moderate throttle.
Old 12-01-18, 09:52 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by Rossi

very true, my choice
I used PS4s as the benchmark against GMAX RS, i stated PS4s were 100 then Gmax RS were 85 to 90 percent of PS4S 306.00 vs GMAXRS 175.00
with both tires having nearly Identical specifications with GmaxRS having higher UTQG 360 AA A to PS4S UTQG 300 AA A same weight 25lbs etc just see for yourself

Old 12-01-18, 10:04 PM
Weapon F

Firestone Firehawk 500 and the General Gmax RS like it or not have changed the tire game. You're getting grade A Tire quality but paying a grade B Tire price. In case of 275/30/19 a setof 4 PS4S VS GMAXRS that's a price difference of $520 on tirerack.

Last edited by Weapon F; 12-01-18 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 10:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

At the same time, $520 is half my deductible so if the alternate tire causes me to have a covered incident, I'm out $480 for deductible. Tires are the only thing between you and the road. Choose carefully.
GaaraOTS (12-04-18)
Old 12-01-18, 10:42 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
At the same time, $520 is half my deductible so if the alternate tire causes me to have a covered incident, I'm out $480 for deductible. Tires are the only thing between you and the road. Choose carefully.
i agree with you tires and brake pads are two of the most important components on any car but all I'm saying is to keep open mind. Just take look at folks using Firestone Indy 500 with great success. They are same price point as Gmax RS. Having used both tires like I stated PS4S are Benchmark at 100% score with Gmax RS close behind. And if you dont drive your car at 9 or 10ths of its potential all the time Gmax RS are great option to have. As more people start to us them your beginning to see positive reviews of them.
Old 12-02-18, 03:01 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I agree with this wholeheartedly. The tires are the only thing connecting your car to the road, so I believe one of the most important parts of your car. I always tell my friends to get the best tire possible. Get the Michelin PS4's...nuff said!
Old 12-03-18, 10:15 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I agree with this wholeheartedly. The tires are the only thing connecting your car to the road, so I believe one of the most important parts of your car. I always tell my friends to get the best tire possible. Get the Michelin PS4's...nuff said!
It's not always black and white. For example, I actually found them to be less impressive in the wet and have used other tires that have had superior wet performance. Now, it you rarely use your car in the wet, then this is of no consequence. Drive lots on cool, rainy nights, and this becomes more important.

It may be the best tire for YOUR use....but it's certainly not the best tire for everyone's use.

Last edited by RRocket; 12-03-18 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 03:24 PM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by RRocket
It's not always black and white. For example, I actually found them to be less impressive in the wet and have used other tires that have had superior wet performance. Now, it you rarely use your car in the wet, then this is of no consequence. Drive lots on cool, rainy nights, and this becomes more important.

It may be the best tire for YOUR use....but it's certainly not the best tire for everyone's use.
Well said and true about PS4s in wet. For those of us who Drive Daly In wet climate handling in wet is just as important if not more important than handling in the dry. All Michelin Tires tend to be a bit harsher over potholes and rougher roads due to side wall construction. So once again that also comes into consideration if you live in an area with poor roads. That being said I have 3 sets of rims and tires for different times of yr. Currently these are going on next.

Last edited by Weapon F; 12-04-18 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations for stock 2011 ISF