IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Should I get this ISF

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-18, 02:20 AM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdunivin
Hey everyone. Looking for opinions on if this is a good deal or not. I have an IS-F on CarMax with a $35K out the door price before maxcare. One prior owner, 37K miles on the silver 2008. Has parking sensors and nav, no auto cruise.
Think I should get it? How do you think it’ll hold its value?
A couple of my opinions regarding CarMax:

They are the most expensive place to find popular cars in the up to year old sweet-spot for value. Their warranties are high-quality and relatively well-priced so some of the premium you pay to avoid spending time haggling is made up by that - if say you were looking for a CPO used car that had just expired as CPO.

For more rare cars, they can have what a buyer is specifically looking for but struggling to find. The markup on cars like this can be relatively lower since if a car is hard to find, the value tends to be a bit higher than more common models.

CarMax is a great place to test drive and get experience driving a wide variety of cars conveniently without intending on buying from them; again mostly because their prices are essentially higher than mostly everywhere else.

Using the CarMax cash price can be a decent benchmark to base negotiations on a car someplace else.

I've read articles about this - I'm not trying to preach and my opinions are totally subjective. My impression of CarMax is they typically are 10%ish above the market for many, if not most cars. If the easy buying process is a significant bonus for you, it may be worth the higher price, especially considering their competitively-priced extended warranties that are solid compared to most non-CPO extended warranties elsewhere.

I think that '08 is too high, especially if (like previous posters said) you plan on flipping it. Lobuxracer couldn't have given better advice, in my opinion. I'd look for a 2011 or newer for around $35k, especially searching constantly online at other manufacturers dealerships. If you find an ISF at, say an Infiniti dealership they probably would want it off the lot ASAP for people who didn't know about the ISF and it's glory until seeing it at their lot. That means it'll go to auction sooner rather than later (again, I mean at a competitor dealership used car lot) and you can haggle/bid based on wholesale rather than retail, which could be a huge bonus. Or they'll tell you to beat it.
Old 10-09-18, 08:28 PM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For 35k id find a 11+. I just found my 12 sfp with 42k miles with warranty for around that price and had it shipped.
Old 10-10-18, 09:35 AM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NjzFinest
For 35k id find a 11+. I just found my 12 sfp with 42k miles with warranty for around that price and had it shipped.
Oh wow that sounds like a great deal. How’d you find it?
Old 10-10-18, 12:01 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Oh wow that sounds like a great deal. How’d you find it?
Who knows if it was a good deal or not?!? He didn't list condition inside or out, didn't list what kind/type of warranty, didn't say whether it was all stock, tastefully modded or horrendously modded, didn't say if it's been garage kept or it the paint/headlights are in bad shape or not, didn't say if it came from a northern (salty) state or not, didn't say if it had a clean Carfax or if it has a bunch of previous owners, didn't say how and how far away it got shipped from (and if it was enclosed or open container shipping wise), and lastly, didn't list an exact price.

Without knowing all of that, we have no clue if that was an awesome deal or a horrible deal!!

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 10-10-18 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 12:33 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know what's going on with prices, but I paid 32k for my 08 ISF in 11 with 55k, then sold it with 100k for 29k. I don't think 08's will hold value because they don't have the LSD. You are better off looking at an RC-F IMO right now if you can get one under 40 for a 15. To me, that's a better value.

You really want a 10+ IS-F as the LSD makes a big difference if you ever put the car on the track or just want to hoon around from time to time.
Old 10-10-18, 02:22 PM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zazzn
I don't know what's going on with prices, but I paid 32k for my 08 ISF in 11 with 55k, then sold it with 100k for 29k. I don't think 08's will hold value because they don't have the LSD. You are better off looking at an RC-F IMO right now if you can get one under 40 for a 15. To me, that's a better value.

You really want a 10+ IS-F as the LSD makes a big difference if you ever put the car on the track or just want to hoon around from time to time.
50K miles later selling for $3K less than you bought it - not bad! That’s what I’m trying to figure out haha.

I won’t be tracking it so for me the LSD matters less, but IK when I go to sell it that will change.

Intresting point about the RC-F. Personally I feel like the IS-F was more competitive at the time and a more special car, but the RC-F with its being newer advantage being a better car in comparison to IS-F. Curious to see how it will depreciate and impact the depreciation of the IS-F. Plus there’s the GS-F which IK the GS350 is a good car (considered a loaded ‘13 for $24K) This all said I’m much less connected to that car than the IS-F and as you can tell I have a bit to learn there as well.
Old 10-10-18, 07:23 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new 3rd generation 2015 IS, RCF & GSF are way more balance and have better handling than the previous 2nd generation IS, ISF. The ISF have the advantage in lighter weight but it's an old engineered car. Btw, I think 2015/2016 RCF with 40k miles for low $40k is a better deal !
Old 10-10-18, 09:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350
The new 3rd generation 2015 IS, RCF & GSF are way more balance and have better handling than the previous 2nd generation IS, ISF. The ISF have the advantage in lighter weight but it's an old engineered car. Btw, I think 2015/2016 RCF with 40k miles for low $40k is a better deal !
I disagree. I own both an IS F and a GS F. My IS F handles better hands down.
Old 10-11-18, 06:31 AM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF350
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I disagree. I own both an IS F and a GS F. My IS F handles better hands down.
I wonder if that’s just down to it being a bigger car, the 400 lbs weight penalty the GS-F carries over the IS-F from a handling perspective. In a quarter mile too I think most tests show the IS-F a bit ahead. RC-F from a weight and performance standpoint is more similar to GS-F being only about 100lbs less.

Personally I know that I would get great joys out of any of them, as well as other non Lexus buys, but ultimately finding the car like the previous user who sold it after 55K more miles for only 3K less than he paid for the car itself (I realize consumables aren’t cheap on such types of cars) is the ultimate dream goal.
Old 10-11-18, 07:11 AM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in April I purchased my 2012 F with 19k miles for 39k which was the only IS-F in Florida for sale. You can get a lot more for 35k but you're going to have to shop around.
Old 10-11-18, 08:28 AM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Default Some that I’ve found.

Okay I’ve done my country wide search.
I get a bit more nervous with higher miles and no warranty like Carmax bc I’ve had some bad luck in the past - though I’ve never owned Lexus.
I’m also curious what your thoughts are on winter performance? This car would be my new daily.
Probobly sell it after 2 years at the most as keeping the overall cost of ownership at the lowest with depreciation etc is my ultimate goal. If none of these are good values I can always keep looking but I’d LOVE to get your opinion, it’s super appreciated.

In no particular order. All have nav, none have auto cruise. No accidents except the last which I noted.

1. Grey 2010 price: $28k Miles: 100K Owners: 3
https://www.carmax.com/car/16428935

2. Silver 2012 price: $26K miles: 101k Owners: 2
https://www.kuniautocenter.com/used/...8cc36b49a0.htm

3. Silver 2011 price: $27.5k miles: 90k owners: 3
https://www.sirwalter.com/VehicleDet...-NC/3277940403

4. Black 2010 price: $29k miles: 41k owners: 3
https://www.landrovernorthfield.com/...63c464f019.htm

5. Blue 2011 price: $29k miles: 76k owners: not sure. Has the most records I think though.
https://www.arlingtonhonda.com/used/...939d4ff63d.htm

6. Blue 2008 price: $26K miles: 74k owners: 3. Carbon fiber diffuser and 3rd party intake.
https://www.mcgrathlex.com/VehicleDe...-IL/3276061463

7. Red 2008 price: 19.6K miles: 120K owners: 3.
No accidents but damage done that needed bumper replaced as well as headlights.
https://www.mcgrathacura.com/auto/us...e-il/30081060/

Last edited by Mdunivin; 10-11-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 06:54 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Your #2 is off....that's a silver F with 160k+ miles on it and is $26k.
Also, #3 is a few mins from me if you want me to check it over for you.

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 10-11-18 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 07:14 PM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
You #2 is off....that's a silver F with 160k+ miles on it and is $26k.

V.
thanks for the color correction. Silver indeed. I spaced out the price. Based on the website it says 100,624 miles on it.

Any thoughts on any of them?
Old 10-11-18, 08:00 PM
Vitveet
Racer

thanks for the color correction. Silver indeed. I spaced out the price. Based on the website it says 100,624 miles on it.

Any thoughts on any of them?
Ah, you are correct. Pic #16 says 161,xxx KM, not miles, lol. My mistake. But lmk if you are serious and want me to check out the #3.

V.
Old 10-11-18, 08:42 PM
Mdunivin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Ah, you are correct. Pic #16 says 161,xxx KM, not miles, lol. My mistake. But lmk if you are serious and want me to check out the #3.

V.
I am seriously considering that one along with a 2011 60K miles and $4K more.

Really good catch on that in the 16th picture though!

I dont fully know what you mean by the last part of your message, but maybe that’s bc I don’t know what IMK means - guess I’m behind

Quick Reply: Should I get this ISF