IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What a nice Accessory for my living room.(Subwoofer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 07:35 AM
BennyISF
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Found this subwoofer https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...nd-SWS-8X.html depth is 2 1/8 which would fit a lot better. eBay has them for $117 might be a better option.
Old 09-16-18, 08:06 AM
stock08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneFastF
You will need to find a DVC 4 Ohm amp, don't go fancy on wattage, what I have does amazing. Stock amp doesn't have much bass anyways, besides anymore may cause rattling
I wanted more bass but didn't want a box in the trunk so gave the option a try.
Old 09-16-18, 08:07 AM
stock08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BennyISF
Found this subwoofer https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...nd-SWS-8X.html depth is 2 1/8 which would fit a lot better. eBay has them for $117 might be a better option.
thats not going to work with factory sub. Its only a single 4 ohm. Need a dual to make it into 8 ohms to be closer to the ohms on the factory amp.
Old 09-18-18, 11:54 AM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm okay... The sub is pretty Subpar to me (haha) -.- I'm going to explore options to make it fit with the OEM connector. I can put in sometime to design a bracket for that location, but I must have enough interest. Also it won't be universal to all subs, stay tuned. Already ripped apart the old sub.
Assuming since your going to use the OEM connector you are going to try and power a new sub off the factory amp?
Old 09-18-18, 11:59 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Correct.

Amp works well with the sub, I know most would ask for more. Have to hear it really to know.
Old 09-18-18, 06:00 PM
steeven001
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Someone please confirm this is how you wire 8ohms
It looks like you have the voice coils wired in parallel which would give you a 2 ohm load.

To achieve an 8 ohm load you need to wire in series.
Old 09-18-18, 06:03 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steeven001
It looks like you have the voice coils wired in parallel which would give you a 2 ohm load.

To achieve an 8 ohm load you need to wire in series.

Hi, ive fixed it I'm enjoying the sub, planning if I should post a video, but can't really hear bass over it. I have a rode mic idk if that woukd pick it up.
Old 09-18-18, 06:51 PM
BennyISF
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Do u have a picture of the rear deck completely installed on the car any clearance issues?
Old 09-19-18, 09:13 AM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct.

Amp works well with the sub, I know most would ask for more. Have to hear it really to know.
Isn't the factory subwoofer like 14.5 ohm or something like that - dropping that down is going to increase current and might put the factory amp at risk. I'm no expert though and this project is interesting regardless just pointing it out in case you had not considered.

Best!
-Abe
Old 02-10-19, 08:49 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redcrxsi
Isn't the factory subwoofer like 14.5 ohm or something like that - dropping that down is going to increase current and might put the factory amp at risk. I'm no expert though and this project is interesting regardless just pointing it out in case you had not considered.

Best!
-Abe
No problems so far... Still working like usual.
The following users liked this post:
Rickna (02-11-19)
Old 02-11-19, 04:19 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 166 Posts

I've been think about a sub upgrade. This thread gave me a lot of inspiration & ideas. I think I'm going with the MB Quarts sub and make my own bracket. Duplicating the the stock mount. Thank you OP.
Old 02-12-19, 09:20 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rickna
I've been think about a sub upgrade. This thread gave me a lot of inspiration & ideas. I think I'm going with the MB Quarts sub and make my own bracket. Duplicating the the stock mount. Thank you OP.
MB quart would prevent u fron closing the grille all the way, if you can find something thinner it would work, but it never bothered me with the ample amount of bass it had for its cost.
The following users liked this post:
Rickna (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 11:37 AM
Rickna
Racer

MB quart would prevent u fron closing the grille all the way, if you can find something thinner it would work, but it never bothered me with the ample amount of bass it had for its cost.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. If I made a custom bracket/mount and had it sit lower do you think it stick out too much on the bottom?
Old 02-12-19, 11:39 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rickna
Thanks, I appreciate the info. If I made a custom bracket/mount and had it sit lower do you think it stick out too much on the bottom?

You are limited to how low it sits. I can't recall how low, but it gets to the point where the sub could eventually hit a brace. (Which is isn't good) , but I can show you when I get back to my IS F (it's been out of commission).
Old 02-21-19, 08:50 AM
Rickna
Racer

OneFastF 1st, I'd like to thank you for your inspiration. 2nd, I don't mean to jack your thread. Based on what you did I have taken your solution to the next level. I took a sheet of 1/4" ABS and fabricated a mount for the MBQ sub. In my configuration the sub faces up. It didn't seem practical to face it down. I have test fitted and it does not interfere with the rear deck/grille. However it does protrude ever so slightly against the trunk lining. Not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I did not find any framework below the sub hole (MY '09). That was a great benefit. There was no way to screw/bolt the frame I made to the sub so it's attached with silicone RTV. Since the sub faces upwards I figure it's own weight and the RTV will hold it in place. Once again thank you for the inspiration and motivation!

Last edited by Rickna; 02-21-19 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: What a nice Accessory for my living room.(Subwoofer)