IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2011 IS-F with Air Conditioned Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 04:49 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2011 IS-F with Air Conditioned Seats

Ladies and gentlemen.... I present to you the only 2011 ISF with Heated and Air Conditioned semi-aniline leather seats.

This has been a project of mine two months in the making. I ordered the seats, ran all the wiring needed, and modeled the parts I needed to duct air into them in CAD and had them fabricated in ABS.

Last edited by GaaraOTS; 08-15-18 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 09:05 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Impressive, and congrats on the ride again.

P.
Old 08-16-18, 06:21 AM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Congrats and please do a full write up on how you did this!!
Old 08-16-18, 06:43 AM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you just swap in the seats from an ISX50 and add the logo from the ISF seat?
Old 08-16-18, 07:05 AM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Originally Posted by Kenny88880
Did you just swap in the seats from an ISX50 and add the logo from the ISF seat?
No, it was quite a bit more complicated than that. The 2011 does not have the wiring pre-run for any of the additional features, What I had to do was
1. Source seats in good condition that had memory and heat/vent option (this was the hardest part)
2. I had to obtain the center console switch, the proper A/C Amplifier, and the plugs needed for it.
3. Then I had to run the extra wiring from the AC amp to the switch and seats.
4. Then once the seats were operational I added some 3/4" PVC tubing to duct cold air from one side of the vent into the back of the seat where the rear fan is, and installed the other duct on the other side of the vent to duct cold air up into the bottom of the seat.

The patches are actually custom made, I sketched up the logo in Adobe Illustrator, and had it digitized and made into two patches the exact same as the OEM ones.
I also used fabric markers to change the color of the stitching on the seats to match the blue stitching in the F.
Old 08-16-18, 07:10 AM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like you took the time to think this out and do it correctly.

I still can't believe that the ISF didn't come with them from the factory. I guess I understand the weight gain/performance car aspect of it but it doesn't seem very significant.

I had an IS350 with them and while they weren't extremely effective, they were still a nice feature and worked well enough to notice a difference when they were on for sure. I do miss them a little.
Old 08-16-18, 08:35 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Impressive work! I'm sure your butt (and your passenger's) will greatly appreciate this hard work now.

I wonder why did you not explore the option of using the RCF/GSF seats in lieu of these seats? Could they have worked or are the wiring completely different? I'm just curious about this seeing as how you basically surgically installed this feature.
Old 08-16-18, 08:55 AM
MGallagher
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-18, 09:25 AM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Originally Posted by mk416
Impressive work! I'm sure your butt (and your passenger's) will greatly appreciate this hard work now.

I wonder why did you not explore the option of using the RCF/GSF seats in lieu of these seats? Could they have worked or are the wiring completely different? I'm just curious about this seeing as how you basically surgically installed this feature.
Haha I like your analogy. I wanted to keep the car as stock looking as possible, my goal is to create a "2018 IS-F" i guess you could say, matching current design trends and using OEM parts. Part of the charm of the ISF is its unique, and I wanted to retain that, not make it into something its not, IE turn it into a GS-F.
Old 08-16-18, 10:12 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GaaraOTS
Haha I like your analogy. I wanted to keep the car as stock looking as possible, my goal is to create a "2018 IS-F" i guess you could say, matching current design trends and using OEM parts. Part of the charm of the ISF is its unique, and I wanted to retain that, not make it into something its not, IE turn it into a GS-F.
Understood...I just thought that you would have saved some trouble when the vents are already built into the newer seats, haha. I like the idea of "2018 ISF"!

All in all, do you think this was worthwhile?
Old 08-16-18, 12:38 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Absolutely. I live in texas, and i get pretty sweaty sometimes. nuff said.
Also, the reason I decided on the F in the firs place was its trifecta of power, luxury, and reliability.It was the only car i looked at that even had the possibility of adding vented seats.
Old 08-16-18, 03:19 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

You traded down in seat though. Now you have pretty much no bolstering and the x50 seats aren’t as comfortable. I’ll take a warm bottom in trade for good bolsters in a high performance car...

i actually have thought of putting F seats in my 50 for that reason. I don’t like it’s seats.
Old 08-16-18, 03:39 PM
DreDilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
You traded down in seat though. Now you have pretty much no bolstering and the x50 seats aren’t as comfortable. I’ll take a warm bottom in trade for good bolsters in a high performance car...

i actually have thought of putting F seats in my 50 for that reason. I don’t like it’s seats.
I actually think the IS-F seat bolsters are a smidge too aggressive, would be great if they were electronically adjustable
Old 08-16-18, 05:32 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by DreDilla
I actually think the IS-F seat bolsters are a smidge too aggressive, would be great if they were electronically adjustable
by most standards they are actually conservative. Go drive a newer car with bolstered seats... you will slide around less than you do in a stock f.
Old 08-16-18, 06:12 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

I still have the stock seats if i want to swap them in.

Quick Reply: 2011 IS-F with Air Conditioned Seats