IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Clanking

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-18, 05:41 PM
henry1229
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Clanking

Hi All - I replaced my front pads with Project Mu HC+800s paired with new OEM rotors a week ago. Since doing so I've driven from LA to Vegas and back, and driven the LA canyons half a dozen times. I also bedded in the Mu's with two sets of 5 hard stops from 80-15 the same night that they were installed, followed by a 40+ minute nonstop cruise at highway speeds.

This week I began to notice a loud clanking noise when going over rough roads. It's coming from both front wheels, depending on which wheel is going over the bumps at the time. It sounds like the pads are bouncing around or something metal is loose and clanking around within the wheels. No sound over a single bump or speed bump. It's when there are a series of road imperfections all at once.

I'm installing coilovers and Fig's oil cooler tomorrow so will have an opportunity to poke around in the guts of the wheels. What could be causing that noise and what can I check on while I'm in there?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
tas02 (06-20-18)
Old 06-17-18, 05:05 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I remember seeing a thread where the pads fit a little loose in the caliper. Try pushing them and moving them around to see if that is the case.
Old 06-17-18, 06:43 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep, that thread was me. My NS400s clunk like crazy. The pad is loose around the pins. I have a new set of the TypeNS (the made in Japan version) that I will install soon and see if that fixes anything. I love the pads, but this is the first time I’ve ever had a pad make noise like this.

Only thing you can do is apply some brake pressure when going over the imperfections to bind the pad to the rotor and you won’t hear it . And yes, I pretty much only hear it going over depressions in the road; speed bumps are not an issue.

Old 06-18-18, 02:18 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

I had something similar once after taking off my calipers (on my previous car G35) I didn't install them back correctly or at least didn't torque the caliper bolts back in correctly.

Did you remove your main caliper bolts in the process? i.e. the two main bolts that hold the calipers to the suspension? if so then take a look and see if any of those bolts are loose.
Old 06-18-18, 04:02 AM
Jz39
Advanced

No, it’s the design of the pad backing and the holes that the pins go into. After the first clunking, we replaced the pins and clips with Lexus oem parts and no difference at all, just a waste of time and money. You can grab the pads and move them back and forth a bit and hear the sound. Disappointing from an otherwise awesome pad. Still odd to me though that more haven’t reported on this. This has been diagnosed by a Nissan GTR mechanic as well as the Lexus dealership, they both confirmed its the play in the pads.
The following users liked this post:
henry1229 (07-02-18)
Old 06-19-18, 02:16 PM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Yep, that thread was me. My NS400s clunk like crazy. The pad is loose around the pins. I have a new set of the TypeNS (the made in Japan version) that I will install soon and see if that fixes anything. I love the pads, but this is the first time I’ve ever had a pad make noise like this.

Only thing you can do is apply some brake pressure when going over the imperfections to bind the pad to the rotor and you won’t hear it . And yes, I pretty much only hear it going over depressions in the road; speed bumps are not an issue.

Were you able to install the factory shims with the NS400 pads? When I installed mine I absolutely could not get the shims to fit and ended up leaving them out.
Old 06-19-18, 02:45 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I can attest to the NS400's being loose fitting. I installed them with my father (mechanic of 40 years) and used all the original hardware. They worked like a charm for noise and dust and TBH didn't notice any sort of clanking/shifting noises until I read a thread about them shifting slight under initial braking. Now I hear them all the time when making 3-point turns and such, and also on even roads. It is a little odd that its just a quirk with these pads but no real concerns.
Old 06-19-18, 05:58 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Yep, OEM shims went in fine.

Here is a pic of the new Type NS pads that I am going to try in place of the NS400s. Are the pin holes on other pads this larger and or elongated?

Old 07-02-18, 03:22 PM
henry1229
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jz39
Yep, OEM shims went in fine.

Here is a pic of the new Type NS pads that I am going to try in place of the NS400s. Are the pin holes on other pads this larger and or elongated?

My HC800 pin holes are the same. While I was in there I noticed a little play in the pads but I'm honestly surprised that such little movement can result in the loud metal clanks that I hear. I pushed and banged on a bunch of parts in the wheel and suspension, everything else was solid as a rock. Oh well, performance has been stellar and at this point it's more racecar than comfy cruiser so I'm fine with it. Headers & LCA bushings in next week! Thanks everyone for your responses