IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

FIGs Front Sway Bar End links or OEM ones

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 08:45 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question FIGs Front Sway Bar End links or OEM ones

I Need to replace front swaybar end links, I guess even i only have 21,000 miles on my ISF, my country roads and doing track days has made the original ones die early on.

I was thinking on going with the figs adjustable ones, it kind of make sense to me that with the car lowered the oem ones will apply some preload in comparison with these ones were you can adjust them to fit and have a cero preload allowing a neutral balance to the sway bar.

Or should i stick to the OEM ones?

Opinions?

Thanks,

JP
Old 04-22-18, 08:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

There is no preload on swaybars. If there is, something is desperately wrong. The adjustment in the links allow you to set the bar "neutral" with the suspension at the ride height you've selected. If you have lowered the car, and know how to set the bar to a neutral position with adjustable links, you'd be better off with adjustable units. If not, just buy stock pieces and install them.
Old 04-23-18, 08:05 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is no preload on swaybars. If there is, something is desperately wrong. The adjustment in the links allow you to set the bar "neutral" with the suspension at the ride height you've selected. If you have lowered the car, and know how to set the bar to a neutral position with adjustable links, you'd be better off with adjustable units. If not, just buy stock pieces and install them.
Thanks Lance. Now if you do a google search on "preload on sway bar", it seems its something that do exists. ill go with the adjustable ones and try to set it on cero preload, otherwise oem endlinks will most likely put a preload on the sway bar besides they will not last long because of the change in the suspension geometry due to the lowered car.

JP
Old 04-26-18, 12:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

It certainly can exist, but it's a band aid on a band aid. Not something I would do to a car intended to turn both left and right. I would definitely do it to a left turn only car where I have limited ability to change spring rates though.
Old 04-30-18, 04:18 PM
djiawan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you end up getting ones or sticking with OEM?
Old 09-06-21, 11:10 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts

https://shopfigs.com/v3/2IS3GSRRSWAY-ELV2
https://shopfigs.com/v3/2IS-3GSFRSWAY-ELV2

Anyone upgraded their sway bar end links? I seems like @FIGS offers a nice upgrade.
I see one review: "It indeed does speed up the front sway bar response. The difference is felt immediately when turning into a corner. Much more responsive and more balanced."

Anyone can chime in?
I already modified my sway bars and thinking this might be another great tweek to my setup. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-bar-mod.html

Old 09-07-21, 07:43 AM
FilwithanF
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi

Anyone upgraded their sway bar end links? I seems like @FIGS offers a nice upgrade.
I see one review: "It indeed does speed up the front sway bar response. The difference is felt immediately when turning into a corner. Much more responsive and more balanced."

Anyone can chime in?
I already modified my sway bars and thinking this might be another great tweek to my setup. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-bar-mod.html
I just had mine installed and really like them. The quality is very nice and they seem more stout and less prone to failure than the OEM units.
The following users liked this post:
Rossi (09-07-21)
Old 09-08-21, 11:39 AM
Toprawman
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

I ordered the front figs endlinks. I highly recommend them if you are lowered. The turn in is noticeably tighter. If you or the installer can preload properly, do it. I had poppin from my front sway bars when entering my driveway. It solved my problem immediately. For the price, why not order them.
Rossi (09-08-21)
Old 09-09-21, 10:08 AM
Rossi
Racer

Yes, I am lowered mildly on KW V3s, I would like to bring the sway bars back to 90 angle. There should be zero preload right? ..... when installed on the ground/ramp.

Old 09-09-21, 01:41 PM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,594 Likes on 697 Posts

Yes, I am lowered mildly on KW V3s, I would like to bring the sway bars back to 90 angle. There should be zero preload right? ..... when installed on the ground/ramp.

No preload if links are adjusted to same length and as long as the bar isn't deformed/twisted. Adjustable links can be used to preload the bar on either end if you want to stiffen/soften one end, not sure for what kind of application though.
Old 09-09-21, 02:04 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Installed Figs endlinks 4 yrs ago. Noticeable differences especially since my car is lowered. Great build quality as well.

Figs Engineering endlinks and adjustable toe with skikky sway bar in rear.

This was my setup from 4yr ago

Current suspension setup
Rossi (09-09-21)
Old 09-10-21, 02:22 AM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 275 Likes on 156 Posts

Anyone can chime in?
@Rossi I think you will be happy with the Figs end links. They are thoughtfully designed and of high quality. I installed them with my coilovers, so unfortunately I cannot quantify a clear before/after impression due to the end links alone. I tried to zero out the preload myself, but the alignment shop seemed to do a much better job on the alignment rack while corner balancing, and turn-in was smoother afterwards.

Note on installation, do not use an Allen key on the hex head to react against while torquing down the Nylock nut on the stud that attaches to the bar. That hex head is not designed for that torque, it is just a safeguard for the press-fit stud. There are machined flats on the nut side of the ball joint that should be used instead. I missed the subtle machined flats, and since my Mazda's RSB has a large hex head that is used for torquing, I thought this hex head could be used for that purpose as well. Alarm bells were going off, but I was rushing a bit and ended up shearing off one of the hex heads.

The front end link stud flats are a similar style, but wider and more evident.

Red arrow points to subtle flat on rear end links.
Rossi (09-10-21)
Old 09-10-21, 10:24 AM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
No preload if links are adjusted to same length and as long as the bar isn't deformed/twisted. Adjustable links can be used to preload the bar on either end if you want to stiffen/soften one end, not sure for what kind of application though.
Great clarification. I keep getting some rubbing on hard left turns only, so annoying. That could be a good application if the links themselves with zero proload don't do the trick. Thank you
Old 09-10-21, 10:26 AM
Rossi
Racer

Thank you all for chiming in!

Order placed, I will report with a review after the instal.

Last edited by Rossi; 09-15-21 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-24-21, 12:02 PM
Rossi
Racer

All right, I installed the rear set, Am I trying to set the sway bar to sit flat (parallel to the ground) or create 90 degree angle between the sway bar and the end links?
(If I do 90 degrees, sway bar end points upwards somewhat)

Last edited by Rossi; 09-24-21 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: FIGs Front Sway Bar End links or OEM ones