IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Found a decent 2012 ISF, need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 05:24 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Found a decent 2012 ISF, need some input.

I found this example for sale on Car gurus and went to check it out today.

Based on the lexus service history and carfax, there was hail damage that was repaired by insurance, but no accidents. There also seems to be a service record for a valley plate leak repair at 52k miles:

DESCRIPTION: REPLACED WATER PUMP AND GASKET ASSEMBLY. REPLACED DRIVE BELT ~ ~OP CODE: 161011=1.4, WATER PUMP--- LEAKING COOLANT. ~ ~LEAKING COOLANT POOR CONTACT W/P-ENGINE BLOCK REPL W/P AND DRIVE BELT ~ ~52315 LEAKING COOLANT DUE TO POOR CONTACT BETWEEN WATER PUMP GASKET AND ENGINE BLOCK. 161011=1.4 T1=66 T2=41 FPN= 16100-39506 140 REPLACED WATER PUMP AND GASKET ASSEMBLY. BLED COOLANT SYSTEM. OPERATING NORMALLY AT THIS TIME. REPLACED DRIVE BELT AS WELL.
Besides a few minor scratches chips and typical wear the car looks to be in decent condition.

When I drove it, I noticed a couple small things that made me a little hesitant to buy it. One of them was the transmission. I had it in sport mode and was shifting with the paddles. I was slowing down to a stop with my foot off the gas. I was downshifting while slowing from 3, then 2, then 1. It would shift quickly, but would lurch after every shift. It was kind of like the engine doesn't rev up in time to match the speed at each shift so the passenger and I got thrown forward a little. Kind of like when you don't rev match in a manual car and it slows abruptly as engine has to rev up to match the speed of the vehicle. Is this normal?

When accelerating, It was fast, but was would hesitate from a dead stop. I could floor it and it would accelerate a little slow at first and after a second or so would finally feel like it was sorted out and would really go. The dual stage intake worked fine and the engine revved nicely. It just felt like the transmission was slow to respond. I don't think this could be called hesitation, because the car would still move, the engine and tranny would shift smoothly, it just felt like it was slower than other ISF's I have test driven.

If I do buy this, I would probably get a warranty and have the dealership check the tranny fluid, or does this sound like something is terminally wrong with the transmission?
Old 02-24-18, 06:05 PM
drifto
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The transmission fluid could be low, this cars are very sensitive with oil levels. In Canada, the lexus user manual calls for a transmission fluid change at 96km. You are enclosing on that quickly with 52kmiles.
The following users liked this post:
ThisOldNSX (02-24-18)
Old 02-24-18, 06:42 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I would have an independent ASE Master Certfied mechanic do a PIP.
ThisOldNSX (02-24-18)
Old 02-24-18, 07:12 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

nice car and price seems right (maybe even low for a dealership retail price, which may be a bit of a red flag). i just test drove an 11' IS F last week and didn't have any of the issues you mentioned though. lurching and hesitation are not good signs

Last edited by liazon; 02-24-18 at 07:18 PM.
ThisOldNSX (02-24-18)
Old 02-24-18, 07:16 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Thanks guys, I don't think a transmission fluid change/check has ever been done on this car. I will ask the dealer about it on Monday and see if I can find another one to look at.
Old 02-24-18, 07:40 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I would look at other cars, many buyers get into this emotional roller coaster of "Oh I have to buy this car right at this minute".

No you don't.

Look at other cars before pulling the trigger.
ThisOldNSX (02-24-18)
Old 02-24-18, 07:43 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

I have looked at other cars. Been looking for over a year now. Test drove 4 of them so far. This one is pretty much on the mark for me. 2012, under 60k miles, not red or blue and under $35k. I don't have to buy this one, but it is very close to what I want. If the transmission needs work, I will pass on it.
Old 02-24-18, 07:54 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by ThisOldNSX
I have looked at other cars. Been looking for over a year now. Test drove 4 of them so far. This one is pretty much on the mark for me. 2012, under 60k miles, not red or blue and under $35k. I don't have to buy this one, but it is very close to what I want. If the transmission needs work, I will pass on it.
Sounds like you almost found it.

A year? I waited 6 years....ended up buying new.

Waiting does suck.
Old 02-24-18, 07:58 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

I can wait. No real hurry. Waited 2 years to find my S2k and about 5 years to find my NSX. I don't need an ISF, just want something with power, comfort and rarity.
Old 02-24-18, 08:03 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Originally Posted by ThisOldNSX
I can wait. No real hurry. Waited 2 years to find my S2k and about 5 years to find my NSX. I don't need an ISF, just want something with power, comfort and rarity.
You have an advantage, you're in the middle of the country. Can always go to either end to find one. Not sure what is your search radius and how far you're willing to go.
Old 02-24-18, 08:10 PM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
You have an advantage, you're in the middle of the country. Can always go to either end to find one. Not sure what is your search radius and how far you're willing to go.
Would be nice to find one close, but I am willing to make a road trip for the right one.
Old 02-24-18, 09:23 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

The lurches while downshifting on mine are more pronounced going to 2nd and 1st. Above that, its light. Even when I drove it the first time, I thought it was normal. I have also changed the transmission fluid since I bought it 5 months ago

This is the service record on mine for the valley plate leak repair:

description: REMOVED INTAKE MANIFOLD AND FOUND LEAK FROM HEATER EXCHANGE PLATE. RESEALED PL ~ ~GUEST STATES HEATER ONLY BLOWS COLD AIR. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE ~ ~AIR IN COOLING SYSTEM, COOLANT LOW. TEST COOLING FOR CO LEAK..TEST COOLING SYSTEM FOR LEAKS, FOUND LEAK COMING FROM ENGINE ALLEY. FND THERMOSTAT SEIZD ~ ~REMOVED INTAKE MANIFOLD AND FOUND LEAK FROM HEATER EXCHANGE PLATE. RESEALED PLATE. PRESSURE TESTED SYSTEM, NO MORE LEAK
ThisOldNSX (02-25-18)
Old 02-24-18, 10:48 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The lurching would be hard to diagnose without actually bring there. I can tell you that this transmission in M mode is a lot smoother higher up in the rev range. If you're downshifting and above 3K rpm, it does nice smooth downshifts with pronounced throttle blip. Anything below that and especially from 2nd to 1st you'll notice it jerk. Either way, I would have the trans fluid looked at.
The following 2 users liked this post by j3ff:
HyunR (02-24-18), ThisOldNSX (02-25-18)
Old 02-25-18, 09:19 PM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Have you seen this one that just popped up in the area:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5475/overview/
Old 02-25-18, 10:35 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had my trans fluid checked and leveled. Even after the service, it would jerk from downshifting 3rd to 2nd. Like you experienced, it is as if the engine RPM wasn't bumped up to rev match. But anything above 3rd gear, it's fine.

Quick Reply: Found a decent 2012 ISF, need some input.