IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Dual intake, 3500~rpm noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 01:53 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dual intake, 3500~rpm noise?

When I roll into the throttle ive noticed this different noise around 3500 rpm, hard to describe, almost sounds like low volume flutter/rattle, seems to be directly correlated with 3,500 rpm and throttle (vacuum actuator) so im assuming its just the dual intake opening and closing, just curious if others have noticed this different noise?

I cant hear it once engine revs get higher because the exhaust drowns it out or it goes away
Old 01-28-18, 04:07 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Haha! Rookie ISF (new) owner huh?!? Lol!
yes, this is one of the main "features" of the ISF (and all the F cars if I'm not mistaking). There is a secondary intake that opens up at 3700-3800 rpm. PLENTY of threads on this! A quick search will have all your answers revealed!

V.
Old 01-28-18, 04:59 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Haha! Rookie ISF (new) owner huh?!? Lol!
yes, this is one of the main "features" of the ISF (and all the F cars if I'm not mistaking). There is a secondary intake that opens up at 3700-3800 rpm. PLENTY of threads on this! A quick search will have all your answers revealed!

V.
Lol, somewhat, ive read about it and ive only owned the ISF a short while, I understand there is a secondary intake that opens and can hear the engine/exhaust note get louder with it but I didnt know if the flutter or w/e I heard before it was anything to worry about
Old 01-29-18, 02:55 AM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Could you record it? The intake flap opens right at 3600rpm.
Old 01-29-18, 07:17 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IronNam
Could you record it? The intake flap opens right at 3600rpm.
Its very hard to make out in the video but yea it does seem to be something I hear right there at the 3600~rpm spot and only after 3600 rpm so obviously has something to do with the dual intake, just wasnt sure if the dual intake opening made noise like that, just the sound of air rushing in? My car does have a takeda intake as well.

You can kinda hear it if you listen very carefully after 3600 for a fraction of a second

Last edited by sc3dreamin; 01-29-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 08:15 AM
Vitveet
Racer

If you have a Takeda intake, you do not have the dual stage intake like the factory airbox gives you....

V.
The following users liked this post:
sc3dreamin (01-29-18)
Old 01-29-18, 08:15 AM
ISFTOMMY
Pole Position

its v tech brah....lol welcome to the club.
The following users liked this post:
sc3dreamin (01-29-18)
Old 01-29-18, 08:52 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

If you have a Takeda intake, you do not have the dual stage intake like the factory airbox gives you....

V.
Are you sure? I read the takeda intake retained the dual stage air box like factory?

"However, the Takeda is different. The reason I sold my Injen for the Takeda is because it brought back the ISF Dual-Stage air box. The Takeda intake cone filter is made to fit into the stock box, with an enclosing part of the Takeda heatshield."

my setup looks like this, correct me if im wrong but isnt that connected into the stock air box over there with that dual stage solenoid with all the little vacuum lines?>

Last edited by sc3dreamin; 01-29-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 09:04 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISFTOMMY
its v tech brah....lol welcome to the club.

Lol, I guess I should take that as its normal then and not to worry about
Old 01-29-18, 09:11 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

V.
That answer is totally wrong. The Takeda, AFAIK, is the only after market intake that retains the stock secondary intake system.

Lou
Old 01-29-18, 10:23 AM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
That answer is totally wrong. The Takeda, AFAIK, is the only after market intake that retains the stock secondary intake system.

Lou
It does, but you can hardly notice.
At least on my Takeda intake the box that the cone filter goes in has a massive hole in it. I cannot notice the dual intake difference on my car.

Also why I want to get rid of it and go back to full stock intake.
Old 01-29-18, 11:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^I certainly can tell when the secondary flap opens What inference did you get out of my post intimating that you should return to the stock intake I was the first ISF on this forum to go with the Takeda when they first came out. It's still there.

Lou
Old 01-29-18, 12:07 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
Are you sure? I read the takeda intake retained the dual stage air box like factory?

"However, the Takeda is different. The reason I sold my Injen for the Takeda is because it brought back the ISF Dual-Stage air box. The Takeda intake cone filter is made to fit into the stock box, with an enclosing part of the Takeda heatshield."

my setup looks like this, correct me if im wrong but isnt that connected into the stock air box over there with that dual stage solenoid with all the little vacuum lines?>

Ah, ok. Yep, you still have the stock airbox so you do have the 2ndary intake available to be opened at 36-3800 rpms.
But I will say that ALOT of people question the performance (or lack thereof) of the Takeda intake. Do a quick search and you'll see....

V.
Old 01-29-18, 12:16 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Ah, ok. Yep, you still have the stock airbox so you do have the 2ndary intake available to be opened at 36-3800 rpms.
But I will say that ALOT of people question the performance (or lack thereof) of the Takeda intake. Do a quick search and you'll see....

V.
Yea, was just something that was on the car when I bought it so not like I have a stock intake to put on or anything so it will have to do lol
Old 01-29-18, 05:56 PM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I certainly can tell when the secondary flap opens What inference did you get out of my post intimating that you should return to the stock intake I was the first ISF on this forum to go with the Takeda when they first came out. It's still there.
Lou
Nope, you must have read me wrong, and I might have read you wrong too. I was not inferring from your post to go back to stock. I was just stating my opinion that stock was what I wanted to return to.

Quick Reply: Dual intake, 3500~rpm noise?