IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Misfire cylinder 8

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 10:37 AM
Omar96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire cylinder 8

Hey everyone,<br />I got a 2008 Lexus ISF With 180000 km. It started ideling very rough and codes for a misfire in cylinder 8. It goes into limp mode with the engine light flashing, and vsc light on. I did a compression test and it was at 90 psi while the rest of my pistons were about 138 psi. I did a leak down test and it wasn't "leaking", no air coming from the rad, oil cap, intake, or exhaust. While the car is on there is no blow by. Its not burning oil. Runs better once the engine is hot.
Old 01-26-18, 11:12 AM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Broken ringlands on that cylinder maybe? Would explain the compression loss, and they do "get better" once warmed up and expand.

Although if they are all at 138psi that sounds low. Typically these compression test at 185+
Old 01-26-18, 12:10 PM
Omar96
Driver School Candidate

Wierd, maybe my compression tester is messed up. It still runs awesome and tons of power.
Old 01-27-18, 07:03 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you bought the black one on Kijiji in Calgary that was listed for 16? The ad said the engine was already repaired, but a year later cylinder 8 misfiring again..?
Old 01-28-18, 09:42 AM
Omar96
Driver School Candidate

Well it was a black on off kijiji, but it didn't say anything about the engine being repaired..... Maybe I should just swap the engine.
Old 02-02-18, 02:52 PM
KidAYo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure its the same car that BLKLBL is referring to. The Kijiji ad definitely stated that the engine was previously repaired and then the issue came back again. I was curious if anyone ever actually bought this or if the posting was just taken down due to it being winter.
Old 02-04-18, 07:35 AM
suicide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KidAYo
I'm pretty sure its the same car that BLKLBL is referring to. The Kijiji ad definitely stated that the engine was previously repaired and then the issue came back again. I was curious if anyone ever actually bought this or if the posting was just taken down due to it being winter.
i would love to know if anyone bought the car as well. I live in Onatrio and emailed the seller about the car and was very serious as I am a Master Tech for toyota and have been looking for a ISF for a while. The seller told me he would only sell local and wouldnt give me any real information. I wad willing to fly out and look at the car and pay cahs but he still said no. Seemed very odd to me.
Old 02-04-18, 12:21 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

It appeared to sell rather quickly, good to know I can sell my 08 ISF with a blown engine for 16k in one week, if needed 👍
Old 03-09-18, 11:19 AM
KidAYo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suicide
i would love to know if anyone bought the car as well. I live in Onatrio and emailed the seller about the car and was very serious as I am a Master Tech for toyota and have been looking for a ISF for a while. The seller told me he would only sell local and wouldnt give me any real information. I wad willing to fly out and look at the car and pay cahs but he still said no. Seemed very odd to me.
Looks like the car is back up for sale at $16K CAD again (but now with a cracked bumper and a spare engine included). You should message the OP if you're still interested in acquiring and working on the car. Could be a decent opportunity if you're a tech for Toyota and have access to everything you need to fix the engine.
Old 03-09-18, 01:49 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Omar96
Well it was a black on off kijiji, but it didn't say anything about the engine being repaired..... Maybe I should just swap the engine.
I wouldn't go as far as swapping the engine. You need to find someone who really knows internals, figure out the problem and get it fixed.
Old 03-15-18, 05:50 PM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

Looks like it's posted again but updated this time with no mention of the spare engine.

Had a similar issue in my IS350 a while back, error code was P0306 and P0300. Lexus took a look at the car and diagnosed it as bent valves in cylinder 2 and replaced bank 2 cylinder head and replaced the bent intake valves. Thankfully was all under warranty at the time, but pretty sure the issues OP have been having are the exact same as the ones I experienced. Basically a cylinder bank rebuild.
Old 03-15-18, 08:04 PM
fwdGTP
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Cracked ringland possibly, that's what happened with my ISF after I supercharged it, although I had a bit more compression than that. Have you tried checking your intake where the valve cover breathers connect for oil, if you have a piston or ring issue you'll have a lot of oil coming out of the valve covers. You could also cap the intake and run the holes open on the valve covers and see if they spray a lot of oil out when doing a pull.
Old 03-17-18, 10:36 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fwdGTP
Cracked ringland possibly, that's what happened with my ISF after I supercharged it, although I had a bit more compression than that. Have you tried checking your intake where the valve cover breathers connect for oil, if you have a piston or ring issue you'll have a lot of oil coming out of the valve covers. You could also cap the intake and run the holes open on the valve covers and see if they spray a lot of oil out when doing a pull.
solid diagnosis info, but the OP has the car back up for sale.. So maybe he was hoping for an easy fix and a quick flip, but now wants to unload it probably due bigger issues than he bargained for.