IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Last Sunday ISF and CTR

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 09:48 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Last Sunday ISF and CTR

So did my third track day last sunday. Getting better, but i was amaze how good was the new Civic Type R on the corners. On the straight i pull away but, once we got back to the technical part of the circuit, he will be on my back bumper. I have the stock suspension and im all over the place while he is able to keep a better race line taking on teh corners. Well today i placed an orders on FIGS for a set of BC Racing Coilovers, hopefully iill get better balance turning.

Old 01-18-18, 11:28 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice, although not sure the BC’s will help much on the twisty bits? Got these myself at the moment, good all rounder, but not firm enough for proper track work in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, good value for money.

Enjoy the track time though, looks like a lot of fun!
Old 01-18-18, 11:44 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That car is a beast. I am actually interested in getting it as a DD but wish it wasn't so riced out. On the track, it is a real beauty.
Old 01-19-18, 12:59 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Have you seen the time the type R does Nurburgring track.ps nice pic.
Old 01-19-18, 02:20 AM
IronNam
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

coilovers WILL help some but what tires are you running? You have the weight disadvantage, that's for sure. I see you're on stock wheels.
Old 01-19-18, 05:28 AM
PTYIS2
Driver

Originally Posted by IronNam
coilovers WILL help some but what tires are you running? You have the weight disadvantage, that's for sure. I see you're on stock wheels.
Im running on toyo’s r888 235 35 19 on the 4 corners. I know i need wider ones, but in 19 they jump to 265 which will rub in the front. In plans, switch to 18” wheels eith 255 all around.

Last edited by PTYIS2; 01-19-18 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-19-18, 05:46 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by PTYIS2
Im running on toyo’s r888 235 35 19 on the 4 corners. I know i need wider ones, but in 19 they jump to 265 which will rub in the front. In plans, switch to 18” wheels eith 255 all around.
235's on the rear....?!?!?!?!😐🙄😒. What year is your F?! You need 255-275 on the rear, minimum. 235 up front will get you by, but not at the rear where the power is going, lol.
The new Civic Type Rs are pretty solid performers though. Seems like you had fun running with it on the track!

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 01-19-18 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-19-18, 05:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
That car is a beast. I am actually interested in getting it as a DD but wish it wasn't so riced out. On the track, it is a real beauty.
You can de-rice it if there's such a term. Take off wing, debadge it, change wheels maybe.
Old 01-19-18, 09:21 AM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
235's on the rear....?!?!?!?!������. What year is your F?! You need 255-275 on the rear, minimum. 235 up front will get you by, but not at the rear where the power is going, lol.
The new Civic Type Rs are pretty performers though. Seems like you had fun running with it on the track!

V.
I'm extremely confused on this as well. Our cars has a staggered setup, i don't understand how you can go narrower then the stock wheels of 255 on the rear. I can understand now why you might be all over the place.
Old 01-19-18, 11:47 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

When you are on the race track, weight is everything. That Honda is quite lite. If the F was anywhere near it, weight wise, nothing would beat it.

235's on the rear are causing much of your issues. If I tracked it, I'd go 275 30 19, which most suggest as the correct size.
Old 01-19-18, 10:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I doubt it's the car. More than likely it's the driver if it was your first day at the track with your F.

Were you using the stability controls or did you turn them off? That made the biggest difference to me when I was having issues placing the car on the track.

And those skinny tires - why? This is a 3700+ lb car. It needs a whole lot of rubber under it. If they were 235 slicks, that might work, but street tires or even DOT legal R compounds will struggle with a car this heavy.
Old 01-20-18, 01:17 PM
PTYIS2
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I doubt it's the car. More than likely it's the driver if it was your first day at the track with your F.

Were you using the stability controls or did you turn them off? That made the biggest difference to me when I was having issues placing the car on the track.

And those skinny tires - why? This is a 3700+ lb car. It needs a whole lot of rubber under it. If they were 235 slicks, that might work, but street tires or even DOT legal R compounds will struggle with a car this heavy.
Thanks for the feedback Lance.

Third track day, My rationale on the 235 tyres was that being the R888 a semi slick with a 100 threadwear, it was goint to be more sticky even at 235 on the rear. I got these tyres for a great deal almost new (a guy bought them for his CLA45 and only went once to the track), so i decided to give it I try. I guess it didn't work out, so more contact area sometimes is better than a low threadwear. Now im considering going 18" (more choices of sizes) maybe with a 255/40 square setup still on 888´s or other R compound tire.

Here is a short video on that session where there was a crazy dude on "SUV" Grand Cherokee SRT and behind me, the civic. Be aware that some "Track Days" protocols are not 100% homologated in Panamá, although i let them past me

Old 01-20-18, 05:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

You would be in a better place with good street tires in 275/30 and 255/35. The 888's aren't bad tires, but they'r DOT legal tires so the amount of grip they have is still pretty limited compared to real slicks. Speaking of which, that standing water on the course is a good reason to be shy of running full slicks.

And yes after watching your video, most of this is really driving. If you have the opportunity to get an instructor to help you better dissect the track and get some clean lines you'd be amazed at how quickly you can improve. Going alone more often than not just reinforces bad habits and you progress very, very slowly compared to having second set of eyes guiding you around the course so you can focus more on car control and less on when to be doing exactly what.
The following users liked this post:
IronNam (01-22-18)
Old 01-20-18, 08:51 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Enjoyed watching the video! Thanks for posting!

V.
Old 01-21-18, 06:08 AM
PTYIS2
Driver

Question

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You would be in a better place with good street tires in 275/30 and 255/35. The 888's aren't bad tires, but they'r DOT legal tires so the amount of grip they have is still pretty limited compared to real slicks. Speaking of which, that standing water on the course is a good reason to be shy of running full slicks.

And yes after watching your video, most of this is really driving. If you have the opportunity to get an instructor to help you better dissect the track and get some clean lines you'd be amazed at how quickly you can improve. Going alone more often than not just reinforces bad habits and you progress very, very slowly compared to having second set of eyes guiding you around the course so you can focus more on car control and less on when to be doing exactly what.
Funny thing is that the instructor was seating right beside me and i was trying to follow the line he recommended, but i believe there was a delay between when he said "cut now into the inside of the corner" and me actually doing it.

On the other hand, whats you opinion on square setup, based on your recommendation, it doesn't seems something you are in favor of. ?

Quick Reply: Last Sunday ISF and CTR