Member Introduction & IS-F Daily Driver Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 10:42 AM
premiyum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Member Introduction & IS-F Daily Driver Concerns

Hello All,

I am brand new to this forum, and have not been an active member of an auto forum for a few years now. I have a few questions and I am in need of expert help. I am VERY interested in purchasing a used 2008-2010 Lexus IS-F as my next daily driver. I lease a Jeep (which was needed for my old job) but is due to be returned in June. My first car was a 2002 Camaro, replacing it with a Jeep, killed me. Now its time to go crazy and get myself something enjoyable again, and I cannot find a better package of performance and luxury. I am looking at 40k-70k miles used IS-F models, but my main concerns are as follows:

-Can this be a reliable daily driver? (Even being a used car with 40-70K miles)
-Are there any issues I should look for when inspecting these cars?
-Can I "get by" with this RWD system, living in Long Island, NY? (Does it perform better than other RWD's?)
-Is there a general preference to one model year, or package/option combo over another?
-Does the Navigation/Bluetooth/Camera system keep up with 2017? Any issues of connectivity or updating?
-Are there any repairs that I should be looking for, as in, to make sure they are done by the previous owner, and won't need to be instantly replaced.

I very much appreciate your help and any first hand knowledge would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Peter
Old 01-03-18, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to CL.

I did a test-drive and review of a 2008 IS-F when it first debuted....bright blue, if my memory is correct. An excellent vehicle, from what I remember, except for two significant faults. One, the torque curve was rather flat under 3500 RPM or so, but, in a narrow band from about about 3600 to 4000, everything responded at once....and you took off like a rocket. Two, for the IS-F's first year (2008) Lexus WAY overdid the stiffness of the suspension....particularly in the rear, where the loads were lighter. It was not only a PITA (literally) on almost anything but glass-smooth roads, but, I remember, even moderate frost-heaves and cracks in the pavement would bounce the rear suspension so much that the wheels actually cleared the pavement for a split-second, and the rear end would sometimes come back down at a slight angle, requiring small steering corrections. There were a number of customer complaints about the rock-hard underpinnings that year, and, from what I understand (though I didn't test-drive a 2009 to confirm it)....Lexus softened things up slightly the next year.

(Earlier, BTW, I owned a bright yellow 1Gen IS300 myself...so, I was also comparing a 2Gen IS to the 1Gen)

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 11:19 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by premiyum
Hello All,

I am brand new to this forum, and have not been an active member of an auto forum for a few years now. I have a few questions and I am in need of expert help. I am VERY interested in purchasing a used 2008-2010 Lexus IS-F as my next daily driver. I lease a Jeep (which was needed for my old job) but is due to be returned in June. My first car was a 2002 Camaro, replacing it with a Jeep, killed me. Now its time to go crazy and get myself something enjoyable again, and I cannot find a better package of performance and luxury. I am looking at 40k-70k miles used IS-F models, but my main concerns are as follows:

-Can I "get by" with this RWD system, living in Long Island, NY? (Does it perform better than other RWD's?)
-Is there a general preference to one model year, or package/option combo over another?
-Does the Navigation/Bluetooth/Camera system keep up with 2017? Any issues of connectivity or updating?
-Are there any repairs that I should be looking for, as in, to make sure they are done by the previous owner, and won't need to be instantly replaced.

I very much appreciate your help and any first hand knowledge would be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Peter
Well if you want a 'better' navigation you must go with 2010+. 2008 and 2009 don't have USB or Bluetooth Audio. But the maps regardless will be clunky and out of date. Voice control works but can be finicky. The performance and luxury (to a point) is there, but the infotainment is severely lacking so definitely find an IS F and play with it before you buy.
Old 01-03-18, 11:42 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

That car will not be your friend in bad weather

how about looking for a deal on a Q50 red sport awd?
Old 01-03-18, 03:10 PM
premiyum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for the replies, I can't thank you enough for the guidance.

Regarding the navigation, suspension, and other features, it seems like a 2010 and newer is the best bet. Which can explain the reason why so many 08-09's are for sale.

I did look into the Red Sport Q50 AWD, they are very nice but seems slightly inferior to the ISF. My friend just bought a 2017 Q50 Premium 3.0 and he loves it. It's not a bad option at all, especially with the added benefits of AWD. However, AWD VS. AWD, isn't a set deal breaker for me. As a daily driver, it would be great to have, but the car enthusiast in me, says I can look past it.

Do these commonly have issues with higher mileage offerings? In that they tend to run well to a point, and then issues start popping up? From all that I read and watch, it seems the Toyota/Yamaha dependability built into the car really shines through. I am wrong in that regard? Of course, all used cars with higher miles have issues. Just trying to avoid a DD that will knowingly have common problems and annoyances.

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-18, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey premiyum, going to move your thread into the IS F section, so you can get more traffic and opinions from owners of IS F's
Old 01-03-18, 03:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

^^^^Thanks, that explains the early responses. Obviously not ISF people To the OP, Welcome to the forum, lot's of GREAT information here, and lot's of GREAT folks willing to share. There are many threads detailing the differences between model years. Here's just one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...8-usb-isf.html

Do a search and do some scrolling and you'll find many more. Again Welcome!

Lou
Old 01-03-18, 04:31 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes! I daily mine with the exception of inclement weather. There are lots of examples well into 1xx,xxx miles doing fine. These cars are pretty solid.

Yes. There are a few common issues that hopefully will have already been corrected (such as valley plate leak). Search for common ISF problems/issues, etc. There are lots of threads covering this.

I'd have to disagree with S2000toIS350 on this one. I think the 2IS platform can be a great all-weather RWD car, with the appropriate tires for the conditions (even snow). I've been driving one since 2006 (IS350, then ISF). I keep my ISF out of the snow, but I drove my IS350 in the snow numerous times with a set of winter wheels/tires (not advisable with OEM tires).

I got caught in the 2010 "Snowmageddon" blizzard & it took me 7+ hours to get home while the snow continued to pile up. Though, I did barely make it as the snow began to pile too high for the chassis the closer I got to my house! The car did pretty darn good for a RWD sport sedan. In this regard, the only big differences with the ISF are the additional power & rear end (depending on LSD or no).

This answer to this is subjective, based on what options you prefer and what you intend to do with the car (other than routine commuting/transportation). However, the general consensus is the newer the better, as they made incremental improvements/changes throughout the 7 year model run. Check out the thread that Lou linked to above.

In general, I'd say no. That kind of tech changes too rapidly. However, that also depends on what you're looking for. My 2012 "infotainment" system has the the all the tech I really need (hands-free phone, bluetooth audio, back-up camera). The Nav is a bit outdated, but it doesn't matter to me. I prefer using apps on my phone for that, since I'd rather not pay Toyota for regular updates.

Again, this is something the plethora of "common issues" threads should cover).

Welcome, and good luck with your search. The ISF is an underated gem. Good examples are getting harder & harder to come by.

-Mike
Old 01-03-18, 05:29 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my car as a CPO because of the warranty and I planned to drive A LOT! I purchased mine with 40k miles and currently have just over 100k. I'm coming due for brakes, but other than that, it's been one set of tires and oil changes. I drive over 50 miles each way to work and I don't beat the car, but I don't take it easy by any means.
Old 01-03-18, 06:32 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Definitely search the forum and you will find a lot of valuable information. Water pump seems to be a prevalent issue in the earlier models. Same with Navigation touchscreen being unresponsive. There is a video detailing how to fix this, which I used to help me repair the screen on my 08 IS350. Most of the stuff is normal wear or maintenance, which is not a big deal for me because I work on my own vehicles. The valley plate leak, which is common throughout all years, can be expensive to fix. I was looking for a car that either didnt have this leak, or had the leak already repaired. I knew I didnt want to tackle this type of job myself. Other than that, its mostly fluid changes, plugs, brakes, filters, tires, etc. I bought mine with 93k miles. Currently has 97k. Recently did a 1000 mile trip without any problems. Go with the newest year you can afford

Shortly after I bought the F, I also bought an older Camry to drive daily because I wanted to keep the F for weekends. That didnt last very long as the car is too damn fun to drive. The Camry was sold shortly after and now the F is driven daily

Last edited by BlckGhst; 01-03-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 12:22 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i drive my isf in the winter here in CO and it does an amazing job with blizzak snow tires for sure, i have also drove my is300 with same tires 4 winters without issues
Old 01-04-18, 05:38 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 159 Posts

-Can this be a reliable daily driver? Yep, have an 08 that I put nearly 30k on since last November, flawless. I drive 40 miles each way daily and usually take weekend trips out of state too. Great MPG if you're easy on it.
-Are there any issues I should look for when inspecting these cars? Not many but the few others have already mentioned.
-Can I "get by" with this RWD system, living in Long Island, NY? (Does it perform better than other RWD's?) Yes, all seasons and skill or snow tires are key though.
-Is there a general preference to one model year, or package/option combo over another? I'd recommend the tech/nav package, and the package that comes with front headlight cleaners especially if you're using in the winter.
-Does the Navigation/Bluetooth/Camera system keep up with 2017? Any issues of connectivity or updating? The 08-10 don't have BT music streaming, but easily fixed with a transmitter. Nav I'm not too sure, I have it, but mainly use waze.
Welcome!
Old 01-05-18, 08:14 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah I daily my ISF and like said above its an 08 with 126k and still runs as good as one with less miles. No real maintenance issues, only thing ive had done was water pump because the early models had a leaking water pump issue that was resolved with newer part number. Besides that its just been regular car maintenance.

But I do wish I had the Bluetooth streaming of the 2010+
Old 01-05-18, 09:30 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I just picked up my 12 in November, slapped some Blizzaks on and it's been great so far. I can't wait to test and mod her this summer!
Old 01-06-18, 10:32 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 170 Likes on 103 Posts

Reliability - absolutely a reliable daily driver (but prepare to go through tires like crazy and 10 qt. oil changes). I have daily driven (and tracked) my 2008 ISF for 4 years and 55,000 miles. I also have daily driven (and autocrossed) my 2002 IS300 for 16 years and 130,000 miles (now the daughter drives it).

Issues / repairs - as others said...do a search. Common are coolant leaks / valley plate leak / waterpump. Haven't had a single problem with mine but it's only got 60k miles. Zero engine problems on my 16 year old IS300 - a few front suspension repairs at about year 15.

RWD - I have driven both the IS300 and ISF in Ohio snow. I've had both all seasons and winters. If you can afford a summer / winter tire setup, I strongly recommend it. My all seasons are good for maybe 1 winter and felt safer with winter tires. AWD will be better - depends on your snowy weather driving comfort.

Model year - 2010+ has much better features & suspension. But 2008-2009 will be in the $20-$29k range and 2010+ will be in the $30k+ range (obviously LOTS of variables will dictate price). So depends on your budget. The 2008 suspension beats the crap out of me. Not many options/packages available.

Nav / Tech - 2008-2009 definitely dated but personally not at the top of my list. I think common complaint is lack of bluetooth (except for hands-free phone calls).

I drive the hell out of it and still enjoy the thrill every time I get behind the wheel. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Member Introduction & IS-F Daily Driver Concerns