Square Setup 18"

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 02:59 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfurlly
So confusing....

You said you were looking for wheels in the $200 range. PF01s are not in that range, they are 4-500. PF01s are great for track use, but as mentioned previous, why not go with the 9.5"? They are only an extra $30 and that will result in better performance for the money.
I did state 200-300 range on one the replies, but that's ok I didn't inform properly. I saw a cost per wheel around 334.85 (9") and 369.95 (9.5"). You are right! There is a small difference in price... I'll take that into consideration. Thanks everyone for the info!

*Yes the picture shows a different bolt pattern, but price is the same just caught that.

https://www.proimporttuners.com/inde...=shopping_cart

I

Last edited by OneFastF; 01-01-18 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Annotating Picture
Old 01-05-18, 12:26 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm always baffled to see Enkei's PF01 referenced so regularly, when the RPF1 is farrrrrrrrrr lighter.

Yes, you'll need either 10mm spacers or to be willing to go up to the 18x9.5 so many of us are recommending to get the offset you desire, but their lightness in any flavor is undeniable, especially at the price point: http://enkei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/RPF1.pdf

Sizes and weights of interest for IS-F:
18x9 +35 - 17.1 lbs
18x9.5 +38 - 17.6 lbs
18x9.5 +45 - 17.4 lbs
18x10 +38 - 18.45 lbs

I literally last week just finished assembling a set of these for track-only use with some new NT01's I'd found on CL for $109ea.

Best pricing I'd found on the RPF1's puts them well withing your budget. http://raceconsultingagency.com/enke.../i-194545.aspx

Also FWIW, for those looking for a nice-looking 19" wheel that's both super lightweight and affordable, look no further than the Advanti Hybris HY for well under $1k a set (and shipped!) if you're good at sleuthing. My only wish is I'd held out for a black set to help hide the copious dust my track-compound pads create.... http://www.bbwheelsonline.com/advant...80B-HY99514405

Enjoy,
Nick
#ninjaneering
The following users liked this post:
YeShrug (06-29-19)
Old 01-05-18, 05:25 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander311
I'm always baffled to see Enkei's PF01 referenced so regularly, when the RPF1 is farrrrrrrrrr lighter.

Yes, you'll need either 10mm spacers or to be willing to go up to the 18x9.5 so many of us are recommending to get the offset you desire, but their lightness in any flavor is undeniable, especially at the price point: http://enkei.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/RPF1.pdf

Sizes and weights of interest for IS-F:
18x9 +35 - 17.1 lbs
18x9.5 +38 - 17.6 lbs
18x9.5 +45 - 17.4 lbs
18x10 +38 - 18.45 lbs

I literally last week just finished assembling a set of these for track-only use with some new NT01's I'd found on CL for $109ea.

Best pricing I'd found on the RPF1's puts them well withing your budget. http://raceconsultingagency.com/enke.../i-194545.aspx

Also FWIW, for those looking for a nice-looking 19" wheel that's both super lightweight and affordable, look no further than the Advanti Hybris HY for well under $1k a set (and shipped!) if you're good at sleuthing. My only wish is I'd held out for a black set to help hide the copious dust my track-compound pads create.... http://www.bbwheelsonline.com/advant...80B-HY99514405

Enjoy,
Nick
#ninjaneering
Yes the RPF1 is far lighter, but we've been told time and time again they won't fit. You're saying 18x9.5 +45 RPF1s clear front and rear with no issues without spacers? Have you mounted them and driven around to make sure they really fit with enough clearance?
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 08:06 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gymkata
Yes the RPF1 is far lighter, but we've been told time and time again they won't fit. You're saying 18x9.5 +45 RPF1s clear front and rear with no issues without spacers? Have you mounted them and driven around to make sure they really fit with enough clearance?
Interesting... I hadn't read that anywhere despite a lot of research, though I'm somewhat new to my F. I've a friend here in Austin who tracks his '13 IS-F heavily and has a track-only set of RPF1's in 18x10 +38 with 285/35/18 square rubber and zero rubbing issues...on stock suspension however. I want to lower mine and 4lbs of rotating mass isn't insignificant, so went with 18x9.5 +38 in front and +45 in rear with 265/35 square rubber. My drop will be very modest.
Old 01-05-18, 08:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Gymkata
QFT. Also, that +38 offset is a full half inch off OEM spec, and if I'm putting on wheels for track duty, I'd like to stay as close to OEM offsets as possible unless I've modeled the suspension and know what a reduced offset is going to cost me in compliance.
Old 01-05-18, 08:16 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
QFT. Also, that +38 offset is a full half inch off OEM spec, and if I'm putting on wheels for track duty, I'd like to stay as close to OEM offsets as possible unless I've modeled the suspension and know what a reduced offset is going to cost me in compliance.
Stock offsets also support skinny stock tire widths matching those of the IS-250. Something has to give... are you not tracking wider rubber?
Old 01-05-18, 09:33 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Stock offsets also support skinny stock tire widths matching those of the IS-250. Something has to give... are you not tracking wider rubber?
That statement makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You will fit the widest tire widths with (wider) wheels that have close to stock offsets...at least that's true with the ISF. (i.e. stock offsets for 2008-2011 ISF wheels are +45 front and +55 rear, and you can fit the widest possible tires with a front offset of approx +45 to +49 front and +55 to +61 rear). I think you are confusing the difference between wheel offset and wheel width.

Last edited by Gymkata; 01-05-18 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-05-18, 09:45 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Unless the stock offsets with said wider wheels interfere with suspension, fender liner, etc... which seems to usually be the case and is often corrected by moving the wheel out a bit. The stock front offset is +45 on front wheels, correct? I didn't realize a 7mm difference could have such deleterious effects on suspension geometry. Some info on this would be much appreciated.
Old 01-05-18, 10:01 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Unless the stock offsets with said wider wheels interfere with suspension, fender liner, etc... which seems to usually be the case and is often corrected by moving the wheel out a bit. The stock front offset is +45 on front wheels, correct? I didn't realize a 7mm difference could have such deleterious effects on suspension geometry. Some info on this would be much appreciated.
Sorry if the previous post came across as hostile. I saw that you owned a 2011 ISF as per your signature block and assumed you likely had a little more experience with the intricacies of fitting wide tires on an ISF based off the confidence of your previous posts. The ISF has very conservative offsets from the factory and going more aggressive will just lead to lots of rubbing on the wheel well lip, usually in the rear. There is ample room on the inside though and you can fit a lot of tire in there if you get your offsets right (which usually means a custom wheel if you want to maximize tire widths).
Old 01-05-18, 10:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

F1 sweats ride height in single millimeters. There is an optimum ride height for any given geometry and there is an optimum offset for any given geometry. Moving the wheel's centerline arbitrarily without understanding the full impact could completely negate the value of wider rubber. Same is true of ride height. Since no one is talking about the proper ride height for optimum camber curves or allowable deviation from OEM offsets to minimize negative impacts to instant centers, roll centers, roll couple, and scrub radius there is little guidance on how to truly make this chassis perform better other than "just buy our setup" and it will be great. Serious facepalm there. I've done enough chassis tuning to know it is a symphony and any arbitrary changes (just lower it an inch so it looks good) might easily make the car MUCH slower. Supra owners who actually tracked their cars found the OEM ride height was best. Any lowering at all made the car slower. I have my suspicions about the IS F, but without measuring and modeling, they've remained only suspicions.
Old 01-05-18, 10:22 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

All good. Simply sharing my experiences. I'd poured over quite a few track wheel/tire combo threads before deciding on my DD/track setups, and most seemed to recommend lower offsets, not higher... the friend's experience I referenced above seems to support this. Also, with the 19x9.5 +40 Advanti Hybris wheels I've now used 8 months for a square DD setup, I've had zero rubbing. Speaking of rears, Megan Racing incorrectly sent me their "ultra drop" rear LCA's which dropped my rear about 1.5", *well* lower than the ~.5" drop most are dialing in with coilovers, literally the day before I had a full track day at CoTA. Thought I'd have rubbing for sure, especially with the stock rear springs. I was shocked to experience zero rubbing, and I was posting respectable laps for a stockish car on a new track.

TLDR, my experience has been that (slightly) lower offsets have worked well on 9.5" wide wheels w/similar tire diameter to stock.

Last edited by Leander311; 01-09-18 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Spelling/clarity
Old 01-05-18, 10:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

They're always going to recommend lower offsets because it is the current fashion. It has nothing to do with how well the suspension actually works.

If your primary concern is rubbing, then there's not much to say. Racing isn't HPDE.
Old 01-05-18, 10:56 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Can't disagree with most of what you're saying, Lance, but as you said, who here is modeling suspension geometries? Who here has F1 resources? Let's take a step back to basics. Are you running lower suspension? Wider tires? On any modeling?

I'm often checked by the common phrase in my field, "be careful to avoid paralysis by analysis"... which ironically rung most true when I was designing race cars. In general, lower is better on most street cars modified for track duty, as due to manufacturer compromises for speed bumps and driveways, most are higher than ideal for the track... and is also generally accepted, that for the weight, our cars are seriously under-tired. To that end, my suggestions to the OP, if they fit, are useful. They closely match the desired dimensions, are incredibly light, and cheap. Same for my Advanti 19's.

one other thing I forgot earlier: I'm running 2.5 degrees negative camber in the front and 2 in the rear. This will impact rubbing as well, obviously.
Old 01-06-18, 01:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Except that roll couple increases dramatically as you lower a stock suspension. Which means you need stiffer springs, and this is painfully evident on your first HPDE when the inside rear wheel comes off the pavement the first time you take a medium fast turn at speed.

Me personally? No, my car runs stock ride height and stock offsets on the 2012 wheels. I learned my lesson with Supras after I spent a couple of seasons tuning mini-sprint chassis. Gathering data under race conditions and wanting to win the feature after winning your heat cures paralysis by analysis.
Old 01-07-18, 10:34 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

OP, if you're really into the PF01 (though 10-12lbs heavier for the set, I opine they sure win out vs RPF1 in the aesthetics category!), here's a new set local-ish to you at steep discount... you'd also need some 10mm spacers if you want to keep with stock-ish offsets.

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132064

Enjoy,
Nick

Quick Reply: Square Setup 18"