IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Fair price for 08 USB ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 05:02 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

@blkghst:
I second the question.... ummmm.... where? Where is there a 2011 USB with 70k miles for under 30,000.00 that the OP can buy? Show us all please because I’ll take another, as an owner of a USB 2011, I would happily buy another and if I can find one for 27,000.00, infact, I’ll take 10 of them, and sell for 34-36k. Now if there isn’t one out there in fantasy land (which there isn’t) like I said, you’re giving OP bad advice based on an opinion that is most certainly hyperbole, and unrealistic.

What is your example of a 2011 ISF that was a great buy? All the details miles, condition # of owners, history options colors price, when where the car came from and we’ll see how good a deal it was compared to the one the OP is looking at. So you have a 2011 USB ISF with under @70k miles you bought for $26-28k?

Also why are you proud of the fact of the car being so cheap(allegedly)? As an owner wouldnt you want top dollar for all the ones for sale? Wouldn’t you want to own a car that is not losing value or going up? I don’t understand the ISF owners that are so proud to bash other ISFs as being over priced or how cheap they got theirs. I personally hope all the ISFs bring top dollar so we can all have cars worth something in 10 years, like the Supras are now. As a buyer of this type of car I’m not interested in the cheapest one I can find or best deal. I want the best cleanest car (with in reason) and the exact one I’m looking for, and not settling, even if I have to pay a little more then I hoped. If I wanted something cheap to own I would have bought a corolla.

OP: There is some anomalies of course... like I said you can wait for a unicorn... but be ready, and you could be waiting a while (although sounds like you’ve maybe been waiting awhile already and not found one). Unicorns do show up, but few and far between.

Last edited by USB2011JAM; 12-23-17 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 05:14 PM
antnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts

I found my 09 USB with 70k miles for $25k last year after a month of searching. I actually bought it the same day it was listed on Craigslist because I knew it would sell quick here in San Francisco. Don't miss your opportunity if you find one
Old 12-24-17, 05:07 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
USB2011JAM and jz39 has summed up this thread. Everything they said is true.
Trying to save a free thousand won't get you very far. If you're penny pinching, probably not the car for you any how.

V.
Agree with this. Those posts should be required reading for anyone looking for an IS-F in 2017.

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
Yea..its more about me wanting to feel like I got a fair deal than anything...the money isnt an issue, but I dont wanna feel like I overpaid.
You've jumped into the deep end of the pool, son. You're talking about a limited production car (only 5,1xx in the U.S.; 566 (I think) in Canada; and, less than 12,000 world wide) in the most desirable color and four model years after production has ceased. It would be best if you took to heart the two referenced posts and worry less about overpaying. I'm from the MKIV Supra Turbo world and there are hundreds of guys like you running into market headwinds when trying to buy a clean MKIV.

In fact, one of my personal friends missed out on 13 cars (!) during a 10-year search because he didn't want to "overpay", only to find his keeper car, a 24k mile black hardtop which lightened his pockets by over $80k when he finally took the plunge. The point is, like the Supra, these cars are no longer being made, are in limited supply and, like the Supra (Quick Silver; Royal Sapphire Pearl; Anthracite Metallic), you want a special color (USB). Best to recognize it is a sellers' market for USB cars and trending that way for all CLEAN IS-Fs. As said, if this car checks all your boxes, make a move. If you don't (assuming the car meets all your criteria), over time, you run the risk of waiting forever for the right car and, like my friend, paying through the nose once you find it.

Ken.
Old 12-25-17, 09:49 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
Agree with this. Those posts should be required reading for anyone looking for an IS-F in 2017.

You've jumped into the deep end of the pool, son. You're talking about a limited production car (only 5,1xx in the U.S.; 566 (I think) in Canada; and, less than 12,000 world wide) in the most desirable color and four model years after production has ceased. It would be best if you took to heart the two referenced posts and worry less about overpaying. I'm from the MKIV Supra Turbo world and there are hundreds of guys like you running into market headwinds when trying to buy a clean MKIV.

In fact, one of my personal friends missed out on 13 cars (!) during a 10-year search because he didn't want to "overpay", only to find his keeper car, a 24k mile black hardtop which lightened his pockets by over $80k when he finally took the plunge. The point is, like the Supra, these cars are no longer being made, are in limited supply and, like the Supra (Quick Silver; Royal Sapphire Pearl; Anthracite Metallic), you want a special color (USB). Best to recognize it is a sellers' market for USB cars and trending that way for all CLEAN IS-Fs. As said, if this car checks all your boxes, make a move. If you don't (assuming the car meets all your criteria), over time, you run the risk of waiting forever for the right car and, like my friend, paying through the nose once you find it.

Ken.
Lol 13 cars? He must not have been too aggressive. I want a fair deal is all, im not saying I want something 5k under market value....theyre out there and im sure they will come up....the last car I purchased had a production value in the US of around 1700~ cars so im no stranger to buying rare cars...its more about being able to jump on the right car as soon as it comes up, sending a deposit, wiring funds, w/e you need to do to get the car because there will be someone there the next morning if you dont.

I just wanted some opinions as I do so a pretty wide range or prices on these cars in the used market but I understand being a rare car I will have to jump on the one I want quickly.

I think the MKIV supra market is a bit different than the ISF market though lol
Old 12-25-17, 11:54 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

....I think the MKIV supra market is a bit different than the ISF market though lol
Yes the Supra market is different, for sure. They had an MSRP of high 30k, low 40k's. They can bring double that, no one is saying you should be paying DOUBLE MSRP on an IS-F. Supras have also been out of production longer. Also another fun fact, estimates of production numbers (auto and manual) turbo MKIV Supras of around 7,000 (not sure if thats world wide or just US spec), but if its US spec, thats MORE turbo examples then there are USDM ISFs @5200. If its world wide, then that flips the other direction, but not as if world wide there are a ton more ISFs either, i think @11,000 total?

So, some could argue the ISF being more rare, and possibly one day more sought after then a Supra.... However, that most likely won't happen due to the fact that the Supra has many more characteristics about it that make it more sought after then an ISF (probably ever), RWD coupe, turbo, manual, tunability, aftermarket options, 1200hp capabilities, lol, there are a lot.... While I don't think an IS-F years from now will demand double what they used to cost new, I do think that prices won't get that much cheaper then they are now (on average). I also think its not completely out of the realm of possibility that prices could go up a little more. Double MSRP? No. But the comparison is completely valid, based on the desirability right now, and production numbers alone.

A lot will argue also that the GSF and RCF are plummeting in value, so what makes an ISF any different? In short, they aren't any different.... in 2009, and 2010, you could buy an ISF for much less, they dropped like a rock, and sat around dealers new back then. I bought my first ISF in 2009, (2008 Red with 8,000 miles) for only 41,000.00. I paid close to that for my 2011 ISF as a 5 year old car with 4 times the miles, in 2016 (less, but still not much less). My point is GSF and RCF are still in production, there is a lot coming off lease, new ones have a lot of incentives, and they are still in the massive depreciation stage, that will slow down, and stop once the car stops being so readily available, as you see now with the ISF.

If you want a great deal for a car, RCF and GSF are great buys right now, especially an RCF, they are in low 40s, high 30s even... ISF right now, is just not an awesome bargain. Dont get me wrong, a "bargain" isn't always what someone should be after either, however if someone is looking for a bargain, ISF, and Supra is not the car for that. RCF is.

Last edited by USB2011JAM; 12-26-17 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 07:37 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by USB2011JAM
Yes the Supra market is different, for sure. They had an MSRP of high 30k, low 40k's. They can bring double that, no one is saying you should be paying DOUBLE MSRP on an IS-F. Supras have also been out of production longer. Also another fun fact, estimates of production numbers (auto and manual) turbo MKIV Supras of around 7,000 (not sure if thats world wide or just US spec), but if its US spec, thats MORE turbo examples then there are USDM ISFs @5200. If its world wide, then that flips the other direction, but not as if world wide there are a ton more ISFs either, i think @11,000 total?

So, some could argue the ISF being more rare, and possibly one day more sought after then a Supra.... However, that most likely won't happen due to the fact that the Supra has many more characteristics about it that make it more sought after then an ISF (probably ever), RWD coupe, turbo, manual, tunability, aftermarket options, 1200hp capabilities, lol, there are a lot.... While I don't think an IS-F years from now will demand double what they used to cost new, I do think that prices won't get that much cheaper then they are now (on average). I also think its not completely out of the realm of possibility that prices could go up a little more. Double MSRP? No. But the comparison is completely valid, based on the desirability right now, and production numbers alone.

A lot will argue also that the GSF and RCF are plummeting in value, so what makes an ISF any different? In short, they aren't any different.... in 2009, and 2010, you could buy an ISF for much less, they dropped like a rock, and sat around dealers new back then. I bought my first ISF in 2009, (2008 Red with 8,000 miles) for only 41,000.00. I paid close to that for my 2011 ISF as a 5 year old car with 4 times the miles, in 2016 (less, but still not much less). My point is GSF and RCF are still in production, there is a lot coming off lease, new ones have a lot of incentives, and they are still in the massive depreciation stage, that will slow down, and stop once the car stops being so readily available, as you see now with the ISF.

If you want a great deal for a car, RCF and GSF are great buys right now, especially an RCF, they are in low 40s, high 30s even... ISF right now, is just not an awesome bargain. Dont get me wrong, a "bargain" isn't always what someone should be after either, however if someone is looking for a bargain, ISF, and Supra is not the car for that. RCF is.
You make some good points....but for reasons you listed the ISF will never have the following the supra does. I agree with you that they probably wont get much cheaper and values could even start creeping up on more desirable colors, years, etc.
Old 12-26-17, 08:31 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been following this thread since the OP. I find many of the posts to be very actuate w the USB clean example comments. I searched for 5 years to find the right one for me as I am located in the center of the US. I was fortunate to find a Southern Cali car with majority highway miles on it about 3 hours away from me that had not been exposed to the corrosive crap thrown on the roads! All I can suggest is being patient to allow for the right one to pop up, however that is easier said than done!

Also food for thought here fellas. The USD Acura ITR which we all know had a total production run of 3,8xx.
Compare that to the ISF production of 5,1xx and you will get the sense these cars will hold and creep up in value. I believe they have leveled off already for quality cars.
Old 12-26-17, 09:33 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If that USB popped up when I was searching I would pay 30 grand. No joke, there was an 08 black with multiple owners and an accident on file at the dealers for $32k 5 months back. It test drove fine, exterior had no scratches, interior was ok I offered him $30k he didn't want to take a dime less. I walked out.
Old 12-26-17, 09:54 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ninten5
If that USB popped up when I was searching I would pay 30 grand. No joke, there was an 08 black with multiple owners and an accident on file at the dealers for $32k 5 months back. It test drove fine, exterior had no scratches, interior was ok I offered him $30k he didn't want to take a dime less. I walked out.
Wow, with how many miles? Must be super low miles for a black 08 to be 32k ?

I hate dealers that dont wanna negotiate, theyre always buying cars via auction or trade in so you know theyve always got room to move a few grand.
Old 12-26-17, 10:52 AM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

I hate dealers that dont wanna negotiate, theyre always buying cars via auction or trade in so you know theyve always got room to move a few grand.

For this reason its going to be tough for you to get what you want, and win. Wether they can move a little or not is irrelevant, the car biz has/is changing, the progressive dealers are more about pricing a car properly from the start, instead of some pie in the sky number and walking it down. Too much competition, too much information out there now for the consumer for dealers to be able to operate that way, so, when they have a nice clean car that is rare, sought after, and the color combo everyone wants, they hold steady, and firm. They usually know they have a rare car on their hands, not to mention most dealers use software systems that scrape all used car listings and auction transactions for accurate pricing, as well as market days supply, etc. they know what they have usually, and usually price it accordingly. Wether WE as the consumer agree with it, or think its correct or not, the data usually tells another story, they dont just price cars pulling a number out of their butt.

The point here is.... as the gentleman said above... he would have paid 30k for the car you're interested in... all things being equal, if you 2 were both competing to buy the that car, you'd lose. He's willing to "pay the piper" (as some one said) pay over asking (28900), and you're looking to save a buck. Doesn't work that way with these cars.

Find one that fits your criteria in terms of miles, color, condition, etc, and buy it. dont worry about saving a grand or 2. Because chances are you won't.

Walked over 2 grand.... which is fine, no problem, but I bet the dealer sold it not long after he "walked" to someone else willing to pay the price.

And the gentleman mentioning the USDM Acura Integra Type R ... another perfect example... However, ITRs are even getting into Supra type appreciation (not dollar for dollar, but % vs original MSRP) a clean 2001 ITR with clean title, stock, original, is bringing mid to high 30ks, look at bringatrailer.com, some over 40K if super low miles, that car had an MSRP of 26,000.00 BRAND NEW! 40K for an Integra...

Will this be the ISF in 10 years? I don't know, maybe? I don't know about doubling MSRP, or being worth 80-90k, but i definitely don't think its out of the realm of possibility for clean (especially USB) ISFs start creeping up closer to their original selling price, as cars get more and more expensive, more and more NA V8s going away, more and more regulations built into cars, cars like the ISF will be more sought after... But would hate to be the guy that passed on 4,5,6 ISFs because a dealer isn't willing to budge 2 grand and 10 years from now have an ISF worth 50-60K, and paid 30 for it... just sayin. Worst case it starts to plummet in value like any other car, and your in no better position then you were.

Last edited by USB2011JAM; 12-26-17 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 11:04 AM
ageslurkin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're set on blue and want a deal, you may be able to buy one of the other colors and wrap it a matching blue color. The USB hunt is always a struggle and as the others have noted, you won't likely find a steal as you're one of many searching for a unicorn which drives prices up. The wrap obviously isn't ideal, but you can always flip colors at a later date.
Old 12-26-17, 11:05 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it had 23k miles on it 3 owners 1 accident. But the exterior with whatever magic shine they put looked like a million bucks! Seriously was showroom condition, even had 2012 wheels.

But the fact that I lost to him at auction (my cousin bid for me) at $29,000 price, infuriated me to pay him the $32k haha

Week after that I went to auction and got an '08 starfire pearl with 38k miles, clean titile for 30 even made up for that car. So yes, even at auction these cars are going for 28-30k for low miles, let alone a clean, one-owner ultrasonic blue. Jesus.
Old 12-26-17, 11:09 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by USB2011JAM
For this reason its going to be tough for you to get what you want, and win. Wether they can move a little or not is irrelevant, the car biz has/is changing, the progressive dealers are more about pricing a car properly from the start, instead of some pie in the sky number and walk it down. Too much completion, too much information out there now for the consumer for dealers to be able to operate that way, so when they have a nice clean car that is rare, sought after, and the color combo everyone wants, they hold steady, and firm. They usually know they have a rare car on their hands, not to mention most dealers use software systems that scrape all used car listings and auction transactions for accurate pricing, as well as market days supply, etc. they know what they have usually, and usually price it accordingly.

The point here is.... as the gentleman said above... he would have paid 30k for the car you're interested in... all things being equal, if you 2 were both competing to buy the that car, you'd lose. He's willing to "pay the piper" (as some one said) pay over asking (28900), and you're looking to save a buck. Doesn't work that way with these cars.

Find one that fits your criteria in terms of miles, color, condition, etc, and buy it. dont worry about saving a grand or 2. Because chances are you won't.

Eh, I respectfully disagree... the car would have to be priced very aggressively for me not to negotiate and as rare and cool as these cars may be nobodys lining up around the block to pay thousands over asking, the car im talking about has been sitting for coming up on 4 months, theyve lowered the price 1k already from 29,900 to 28,900 and theyve already agreed to come down even lower from there so yea, im already thousands below the original price of 29,900 if I do choose to purchase that car.

But hey, if he wants to jump on that car and pay 30k go for it, it wont hurt my feelings, there will always be another car, he can take that Win. lol

As I mentioned before, my previous car had production numbers in the 1,7xx range and would sell in hours if priced well...I understand the market and can adapt if I need to, but if a cars sitting for 4 months and theyre dropping the price you cant act like theres no way to negotiate that car down or get it for less than 29k lol

FWIW, I bought my previous car site unseen for asking price, wired the cash, had it shipped to me because it was priced right and I knew it would be gone if I dicked around and tried to negotiate it down.

Last edited by sc3dreamin; 12-26-17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-26-17, 11:12 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ninten5
Yes it had 23k miles on it 3 owners 1 accident. But the exterior with whatever magic shine they put looked like a million bucks! Seriously was showroom condition, even had 2012 wheels.

But the fact that I lost to him at auction (my cousin bid for me) at $29,000 price, infuriated me to pay him the $32k haha

Week after that I went to auction and got an '08 starfire pearl with 38k miles, clean titile for 30 even made up for that car. So yes, even at auction these cars are going for 28-30k for low miles, let alone a clean, one-owner ultrasonic blue. Jesus.
23k miles is extremely low, the cars im looking at are more like 70k-100k miles so big difference in miles

The one in question here was 68k miles. Few others were up 86k 92k miles etc.
Old 12-26-17, 11:13 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ageslurkin
If you're set on blue and want a deal, you may be able to buy one of the other colors and wrap it a matching blue color. The USB hunt is always a struggle and as the others have noted, you won't likely find a steal as you're one of many searching for a unicorn which drives prices up. The wrap obviously isn't ideal, but you can always flip colors at a later date.

Wraps look like crap compared to real paint IMO, i used to have my own detailing business to im pretty particular when it comes to paint so wrap wont do

Quick Reply: Fair price for 08 USB ISF?