IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clicking noise turning wheel? *video*

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-17, 11:52 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Same noise, but I only hear it when I'm in reverse.
Old 06-03-18, 01:35 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Figured I'd bump this thread since I think I may have finally solved the noise thanks to a thread I found on the FB page. Not long after I made the video I had the PSC ball joints installed but the noise continued. Today I finally had some time to get under the car and try the suggestion. The two 19" bolts below the steering knuckle that hold the lower ball joint and tie rod didn't look remotely loose but hit them with the impact and it seems to have solved the noise in my video.

borrowed image from MisterSkiz and circled the bolts
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (06-05-18)
Old 06-05-18, 11:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

That's interesting. I've checked torque on all those bolts to no avail. Maybe I need to loosen them first and then retorque them. If this solves the problem, I'll send you a PM!

Gotta say though, that outer tie rod joint looks really ugly, like the boot is split.

Those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 89 ft-lbs.

Just did this to both sides, and it seems better, but I still heard noise a couple of times. Might need to look into loosening and retorquing a whole bunch of front end pivot bolts.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-05-18 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 10:11 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Old ball joints

Replaced rotors and brake pads as well.

WS pad order from RRRacing

New ball joints rotors and pads
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's interesting. I've checked torque on all those bolts to no avail. Maybe I need to loosen them first and then retorque them. If this solves the problem, I'll send you a PM!

Gotta say though, that outer tie rod joint looks really ugly, like the boot is split.

Those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 89 ft-lbs.

Just did this to both sides, and it seems better, but I still heard noise a couple of times. Might need to look into loosening and retorquing a whole bunch of front end pivot bolts.
Lance had Same is clicking noise as well, mine too had loosens up slightly torqued them down to spec still had the same clicking noise. Order two new OEM ball joints had my cousin installed noise gone car turns and rides better now. Had my cousin Mike do bunch repairs for me recently do to injury i have. But I had nice comfortable chair that I was able to supervisor lol.
Old 06-07-18, 10:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Interesting. I wondered about that but I also wondered if my steering rack got damaged in the accident that hashed the front wheel in the wheel weight thread.

I considered new ball joints, but I figured if I was going to do that, I'd just do a whole front end refresh - ball joints, upper control arms, rear LCA pivots, etc., and do something with the brakes at the same time. Not sure how extreme I want to go on brakes yet, but...
Old 06-08-18, 06:41 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
that's not a pic of my car. I didn't take any pictures when I was working on the car but found one online from someone else. Just figured I'd throw it in there if I wasn't describing the correct bolts for someone to figure out. My sound is still gone so that's good. I was going to buy lower ball joint to see if that was the issue in the near future but this saved me the $ from buying a new one even though they aren't that expensive ($80~). Problem is I would have thought that was the issue but in my case it was just the bolts. Can't remember when the sound had started but guessing it was around the time I did my header install so makes sense.
Old 06-15-18, 09:50 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im currently having this noise too as i turn the wheel, it all started one day when i went up a very steep hill. The other day i bought a cheap stethoscope from harbor freight and had my dad listen to suspension components as i turned the wheel. The part that made the loudest creaking sounds came from the driver side upper control arm by the ball joint. We're going to try to grease it and see if the that fixes the noise. Weird thing is, the noise doesnt start until ive driven the car for maybe 30 mins to 1 hour, otherwise its quiet. This is in a MY11
Old 05-14-19, 12:46 PM
Kdkvvv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same exact problem on my rc 350 awd...
Old 06-08-21, 10:29 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Bumping this old thread.

Mine started doing this a few days ago on my 2010 IS-F. I had a lot of bushings replaced listed below;

SPC upper ball joints (installed on OEM upper control arm)
Proforged lower ball joints
RR Racing USRS
MOOG sway bar bushings
Beck/Arnley sway bar endlinks

Suspension;

Tein H-Tech springs
Tokico HP Blue struts

Turning the wheels underload will create the click but I only hear it on the front driver side. I have not been able to lift the car up due to moving to Hawaii and living in a hotel until my home is ready so my schedule is pretty tight. Anyone able to resolve or identify their issue of the source of the clicking besides the ones that just replaced all their bushings, that seemed to fix the issue? Seems odd to have this issue after replacing those parts and only about a year old. The bushings and endlinks don't even have 8K miles on them.
Old 06-10-21, 09:42 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

I'm the OP and didn't replace any bushings and I haven't had the noise return since I've tightened the bolts in my post #17
Old 06-11-21, 10:28 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

I remember having a noise in the front and the whole time it was making noise only under load too and it was the upper control arm bushing . I swapped them with some Polyurethane ones and noise gone . Well good luck finding what it is just letting you know my experience .
Old 06-11-21, 02:46 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

I'm having my suspension checked today. I know from the last shop I took it to, my buddy worked in it and said that the bolts that go through the upper control arm bushings backed out in their own and torqued them down. Hopefully it didn't do it again. I'll find out in a few hours when I go.
Old 06-11-21, 04:01 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

I'm having my suspension checked today. I know from the last shop I took it to, my buddy worked in it and said that the bolts that go through the upper control arm bushings backed out in their own and torqued them down. Hopefully it didn't do it again. I'll find out in a few hours when I go.
Old 11-26-21, 09:05 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

I forgot to report back so I'm posting up. My clicking noise was actually from a bent dust shield that is behind the rotors. The guys at the shop bent it back in place and sure enough thr clicks went away.
The following users liked this post:
MileHIFcar (11-27-21)
Old 11-27-21, 03:21 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Good to hear that it was something that was easily fixed!

Quick Reply: Clicking noise turning wheel? *video*