IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My dyno w/ new SIKKY V2 headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 10:10 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking My dyno w/ new SIKKY V2 headers + RRRacing tune

Hey guys. So just got my headers installed. I had the ticking noise @ cold start but went away after warmed up. Installer said it was an exhaust leak at the manifold so a new gasket fixed it up. I was thinking it was the cracked headers that most 08's have been plagued with. Took one for the team and paid for a dyno (donations welcomed... haha).

Background to the dyno: I have an 08 w/ about 128k miles w/ RRRacing Tuned Intake (therefore their tune also), their carbon intake elbow, and their AOS (I installed all of these about last week). I still have the stock exhaust (not planning on getting an aftermarket but the mod bug may still be biting). So the baseline figure is with these mods. Enjoy. Numbers are low on this dyno but it's all about the delta.

Tip: Install headers before installing the tuned intake. I forget if it's required to remove the intake area but all my thermal tape was ripped up so i assumed they removed the intake box... Luckily i still had thermal tape left over to redo it all... again...

Aftermath: It definitely pulls hard on the highway at half throttle. I haven't full throttled as my RE-11 are about done. Next mod is new tires soon. TCS would kick in from dig all throughout 2nd gear. It is a bit louder but not obnoxious. The tuned intake before the header install was louder already. All in all, it sounds amazing when you get on the throttle.
Attached Thumbnails My dyno w/ new SIKKY V2 headers-20170810_015550.jpg  

Last edited by JKweezy; 08-18-17 at 11:30 AM. Reason: want to clarify i have the RRRacing tune + tuned intake
The following 3 users liked this post by JKweezy:
breakeroh (08-18-17), Rossi (08-11-17), WhyHateTho (12-21-20)
Old 08-10-17, 12:07 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Very nice! I already had PPE headers installed, but last week I installed the tuned intake with the tune and couldn't be happier!
Old 08-10-17, 01:59 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

A true dual exhaust system will let your other modifications work to full effect. Systems are available which include high flow cats and/or dual modes if desired.
Old 08-10-17, 02:06 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

wow, that looks impressive. why does the baseline dyno stop at just under 6500 rpm and your new one keeps going to 7000 rpm? Whats usually the acceptable a/f ratio for our cars?
Old 08-10-17, 02:18 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

With adding headers, don't you need a new tune for that setup?
How is the life with the headers inside the car? I am planning the V2 header with stock exhaust.
Wondering about the cabin noise. No intake upgrade for me.

Last edited by Rossi; 08-10-17 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 02:24 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^^^^
There's only one tune, no others are available (unless you're going custom).

And that tune was created to maximize performance with a header and aftermarket exhaust.

Last edited by tas02; 08-12-17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 02:48 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
With adding headers, don't you need a new tune for that setup?
How is the life with the headers inside the car? I am planning the V2 header with stock exhaust.
I went this route initially and my advice is to not bother with just headers. Yes, you will notice the small gain and additional sound inside the car but its not work the $3k cost of headers and install.
Old 08-10-17, 07:38 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Great gains, I love it.
Old 08-10-17, 07:57 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
^^^^^^
There's only one tune, no others are available (unless you're going custom).
And that tune was was created to maximize performance with a header and aftermarket exhaust.
I was under the impression that there is a specific tune for each setup, RRR intake, larger throttle body, headers.
I thought if you tune a stock car, you need to get new files for your handheld tuner to accommodate the headers. Am I wrong?

Originally Posted by msgs350
I went this route initially and my advice is to not bother with just headers. Yes, you will notice the small gain and additional sound inside the car but its not work the $3k cost of headers and install.
My plan is to go with V2 headers and RRR tune. I have HPS intake tube. Stock exhaust with secondary cats to avoid the loudness and smell.

Last edited by Rossi; 08-10-17 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-10-17, 08:11 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

There are only two tunes beside the one for the supercharger that RR offers. Basically the tune covers stock all the way up to intake, headers, exhaust and every combo in between. The next tune up covers their tuned intake for full bolt on applications.
Old 08-10-17, 09:27 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I was under the impression that there is a specific tune for each setup, RRR intake, larger throttle body, headers.
I thought if you tune a stock car, you need to get new files for your handheld tuner to accommodate the headers. Am I wrong?

My plan is to go with V2 headers and RRR tune. I have HPS intake tube. Stock exhaust with secondary cats to avoid the loudness and smell.
let me be more detailed..I had the PPE headers, RR Tune and JoeZ intake tube and AFE filter and didn't think it was worth what it cost. Only after I added the Borla, with hi flow cats did the car improved greatly (410 HP on a DynoDynamics dyno). There isn't a tune that I'm aware of for each "phase" of adding a bolt on, your ecu will adjust accordingly. The only time you will need a updated tune file is when you add the RR Tuned intake, which I've since added reccent .... or if you S/C your car.
My opinion is to go full bolt on or just get an exhaust and be done.
The following users liked this post:
Rossi (08-11-17)
Old 08-11-17, 12:56 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Unless someone has come up with better tuning tables that can be adjusted on the dyno ( a bit like when LS1 tunes were in there infancy ) you only have to look at what can be done with a LS1 now. If you can CAM this motor and tune maybe some big HP might come without FI.I would love to know where my tune came from over here in OZ and yes a 60rwhp gain over 3500 rpm the seat of the pants and tyres tell me this is correct. enjoy.
Old 08-11-17, 03:14 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

coasting/keeping the throttle constant sounds normal like stock... it only gets louder if you accelerate...

Originally Posted by cvt
wow, that looks impressive. why does the baseline dyno stop at just under 6500 rpm and your new one keeps going to 7000 rpm? Whats usually the acceptable a/f ratio for our cars?
i'm not very familiar with dynos but now that you mention it, i'm curious too but maybe since max hp was achieved at 6140 rpm and max torque was achieved at 5030 rpm...

Last edited by JKweezy; 08-11-17 at 03:18 PM. Reason: forgot to do a multiquote
The following users liked this post:
Rossi (08-11-17)
Old 08-16-17, 05:15 AM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good JKweezy! Solid gains from our headers I see. Looks like 50 hp and almost 39 ft lbs of torque! Very consistent with what we have seen. Glad other people are finally starting to see the light on the DELTA aspect of dyno plots and not focus on the number!
Old 08-16-17, 06:49 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Those are just awesome numbers.
Do you have cats on?

Imagine if (when) you get an exhaust!

Once I go out of extended warranty I can guarantee I will not be able to resist these numbers. Going from a 12.8 car to an 11.8 car (or thereabouts) is almost like getting a new car. That is a huge and noticeable improvement over stock.

Quick Reply: My dyno w/ new SIKKY V2 headers