IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF... with 333,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 02:50 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! I need to know, did you contact the seller after seeing my thread?!

8 grand is an absolute bargain... I would have seriously considered this car if I hadn't picked up my F a couple weeks back. I still lurk CarGurus, AutoTrader and Craigslist for some silly reason.. ha
Old 07-31-17, 05:02 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

waa damn...so our cars will never depreciate to zero or close to that, like my acura did
unless the day comes when internal combustion engines are illegal to be on the roads..
334k miles for 8k..that is amazing
Old 07-31-17, 06:43 PM
rtan
Driver School Candidate

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Got the car on a lift today to inspect suspension and for leaks.
Bearings/hubs were solid, no play at all. Most bushings on control arms are still in good shape. Noticed one cracked bushing on the driver lower control arm.
Rear diff housing is a bit rusty but no signs of leaks. Driveshaft insulator rubber disc is in great shape.
Overall the undercarriage is pretty clean. This car was driven all year round. The rust isn't any worse than most cars of this age (year wise)
Only need to address the passenger headlight, fitment of front bumper and perhaps a respray it too.

Here are some more photos for those who are curious to see what a 334k car and undercarriage looks like!

Not a whole lot of leaks here...
Not working... probably a bulb issue but there was condensation so it could be shorted/damaged

Front scrapes

No leaks on transmission. But planning to do a fluid change
no signs of leaking under the engine oil filter

lower driver control arm bushing... only bushing that was cracked
slight oil between engine and transmission...

Last edited by rtan; 07-31-17 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 07:46 PM
rtan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gc86
Congrats! I need to know, did you contact the seller after seeing my thread?!

8 grand is an absolute bargain... I would have seriously considered this car if I hadn't picked up my F a couple weeks back. I still lurk CarGurus, AutoTrader and Craigslist for some silly reason.. ha
I actually contacted the seller the same day he had the ad posted.
I found this thread a few days ago.
Old 07-31-17, 07:48 PM
rtan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kiryu
waa damn...so our cars will never depreciate to zero or close to that, like my acura did
unless the day comes when internal combustion engines are illegal to be on the roads..
334k miles for 8k..that is amazing
Figured even an ISF without an engine is easily $4-5k in parts.
Old 08-01-17, 05:39 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

That front bumper needs some major work.
Old 08-01-17, 06:31 AM
rtan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Diesel350
That front bumper needs some major work.
Nothing more than heating up the lower corner and a respray. Far from major work. Don't see any cracks or broken tabs. It's in pretty good shape considering the mileage on the car.
Old 08-01-17, 06:35 AM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you ask the owner what he does to rack up so many miles? More importantly, how many miles do you plan to put on the car a year? I'm hoping a lot so we can see the first ISF to crack 500k miles!
Old 08-01-17, 06:40 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rtan
Nothing more than heating up the lower corner and a respray. Far from major work. Don't see any cracks or broken tabs. It's in pretty good shape considering the mileage on the car.
Guess I'm OCD but I would be having the entire bumper wet sanded and resprayed.
Old 08-01-17, 07:39 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats rtan, welcome to the family. There will be a lot of people on here curious to hear how the car continues to age. New brakes are typical. The caliper rebuild is interesting. When I went through the service history above I noticed that 3 of 4 calipers have been replaced. I wonder if this is the last one that is still the original. Gas mileage is not so great as well, but you'll soon forget about that when you feel the acceleration rush. I would get a can of MAF sensor cleaner and give the MAF a good rinsing and then pour a bottle of Redline Oil SI-1 fuel system cleaner in the tank, change the oil to a synthetic and then drive the heck out of it.

I just went back and looked at the pictures. Amazing condition for that car with that many miles in the rust belt! Great purchase. Don't paint it, do a full body wrap!

Last edited by UCrazyKid; 08-01-17 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-01-17, 07:45 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by rtan
Congrats on your purchase and agreed - the car is in great shape.
Mine's an IL car too and thankfully the only REAL rust I had was the diff housing, just like you said.
Enjoy your ride & welcome to the forum.
Old 08-01-17, 07:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Just wow.. I had to click on this post.. Just goes to show that mileage is nothing on these cars. Most i've seen have roughly 100k maybe a little more but 333k is just insane.. Looks in pretty good shape.. Only thing i see is cosmetic things and most of that can be found here, FB, or ebay. Congrats my friend Welcome to the forums
Old 08-01-17, 07:57 AM
rtan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Congrats rtan, welcome to the family. There will be a lot of people on here curious to hear how the car continues to age. New brakes are typical. The caliper rebuild is interesting. When I went through the service history above I noticed that 3 of 4 calipers have been replaced. I wonder if this is the last one that is still the original. Gas mileage is not so great as well, but you'll soon forget about that when you feel the acceleration rush. I would get a can of MAF sensor cleaner and give the MAF a good rinsing and then pour a bottle of Redline Oil SI-1 fuel system cleaner in the tank, change the oil to a synthetic and then drive the heck out of it.

I just went back and looked at the pictures. Amazing condition for that car with that many miles in the rust belt! Great purchase. Don't paint it, do a full body wrap!
Will certainly update once the brake job is done. The calipers themselves seem to be in good shape. Very little paint chipping near the pad pins. Gas mileage is irrelevant! I'm used to low gas mileage driving my 540i and 997S. Cleaning the MAF is a good idea and will do that next maintenance. Can't wait to get the car refreshed with headlights and front bumper repairs! The rest of the body should clean up nicely with a thorough wash, clay, and polish!
Old 08-01-17, 10:37 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Crazy my FJ Cruiser just rolled 250k. Toyota builds them right.
Old 08-01-17, 11:49 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I could see the bushings issue by there time I got to the trans picture! Throw in some Figs super pro bushings in and you'll be set. If you don't want to spend money on bushing I'll send you some stock takeoffs I have it the shop for free.
Its kinda funny that the previous owner was so hung up on alignment yet those bushing were still the originals which is a weak point by design.
I have seen a few ISFs in the 150k range that have been through a few New England winters and that car looks no worse!
I suppose the numbers of winters matters more then mileage driven. At 330k that car probably didn't sit for days with condensation under it in the winter months so I would say that driving it probably helped keep the underside clean.
The following users liked this post:
rtan (08-02-17)

Quick Reply: ISF... with 333,000 miles