IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help with RR Racing Air and Oil separator

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 09:45 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes, that could be a leak in the PCV system which is what the AOS is grafted into.
ahh ok.

ill have to be extra cautious when installing this on my car. i figure its worth it to keep oil from places it shouldn't be at.
Old 06-28-19, 09:13 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

If anyone is concerned with potential leaks, you can replace the plastic fittings with brass. and the hose with Samco FSHL 10mm oil & fuel resistant hose.

Old 06-28-19, 10:51 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rickna
If anyone is concerned with potential leaks, you can replace the plastic fittings with brass. and the hose with Samco FSHL 10mm oil & fuel resistant hose.

that is not a bad idea. i was actually thinking maybe A/N fittings?

Last edited by Wh0pp3r; 06-28-19 at 10:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
roheel (06-30-19)
Old 06-28-19, 12:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh0pp3r
that is not a bad idea. i was actually thinking maybe A/N fittings?
Way overkill. There's zero pressure in this setup, so even a stainless braided rubber hose would be way overkill. I like this setup a lot. Those OEM style clamps are amazingly reliable for what they are as long as they are properly sized.
Rickna (06-28-19)
Old 06-28-19, 03:54 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Way overkill. There's zero pressure in this setup, so even a stainless braided rubber hose would be way overkill. I like this setup a lot. Those OEM style clamps are amazingly reliable for what they are as long as they are properly sized.
just mainly for aesthetics. the samco id try and run black for more of an low key look too.
Old 07-01-19, 12:47 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

just mainly for aesthetics. the samco id try and run black for more of an low key look too.
Samco is pretty. Plain black rubber with a supporting braid of just about any fiber will be fine and stealthy.

There is no pressure on this hose, vacuum is a much bigger concern than pressure, but truthfully if the hose collapsed from low pressure, it wouldn't be bad at all. The engine was designed with a full return oil scavenging system (you have to remove it to fix the valley plate leak). It's designed to remove the OIL (not the water vapor or organic acid blowby) from the crankcase, and return it to the crankcase. Which is why I have consistently and persistently asked those with the AOS to send the contents of their AOS for analysis and get a clear picture of the composition of what the AOS is collecting. So far, no one has reported back what the AOS actually collects. Since I have not seen a before and after KCLV, or the results of an analysis, I have not and will not install any catch can of any type. The PCV system, as designed by Lexus, seems to work. Did anyone see a catch can on the Lexus CCS-R? I didn't. If you did, please post a photo and point it out. Maybe I'll reconsider the whole idea, but at this point what I see is a device working just like a coalescent filter. Sudden volume increase causes water and organic acids to fall out of vapor (see Charle's Law and Boyle's Law) and collect in the catch can. Does it make a real difference? You guys logging KCLV should be able to say - did the AOS change your KCLV?

Keep in mind, I was Chief of Operations for a gas analysis laboratory using 6 tons of liquid nitrogen a week to cryogenically distill gases of interest from whole air. I know a little bit about the gas laws and their practical applications, so if you have a response, be sure you know your science first.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-01-19 at 12:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
JayLexin (01-28-20), MLRSTJ (12-16-19)
Old 07-02-19, 09:43 AM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Which is why I have consistently and persistently asked those with the AOS to send the contents of their AOS for analysis and get a clear picture of the composition of what the AOS is collecting. So far, no one has reported back what the AOS actually collects..
If your asking to send the contents to say Blackstone, id be happy to do it. My F is due for its oil in a bit. itll be the last time i run it without the AOS. I already have my Blackstone container waiting for an analysis. So figure I can install it once i get the upgrades installed and record how many miles it was on for.

would that help?
Old 07-02-19, 01:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If your asking to send the contents to say Blackstone, id be happy to do it. My F is due for its oil in a bit. itll be the last time i run it without the AOS. I already have my Blackstone container waiting for an analysis. So figure I can install it once i get the upgrades installed and record how many miles it was on for.

would that help?
Probably. If I am correct, there won't be a lot of actual oil in it. It will be mostly water and dissolved organic acids (combustion byproducts). I am not sure if Blackstone is properly equipped to do this, but it can't hurt. I need to find a better lab...
Old 07-02-19, 01:21 PM
Wh0pp3r
Intermediate

Probably. If I am correct, there won't be a lot of actual oil in it. It will be mostly water and dissolved organic acids (combustion byproducts). I am not sure if Blackstone is properly equipped to do this, but it can't hurt. I need to find a better lab...

I wouldn't know where to start. I can email BS once my initial test comes in and i do a full oil change interval with the AOS. maybe they can give me a proper lead.
Old 12-14-19, 07:17 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have close to 170k miles and purchased this to install. Found out all the factory hoses are hard as a rock and i need to replace all the hoses. Just ordered a spool of 3/8 rubber fuel line and want to order fittings to fit the hose to the RR Racing catch can. What are the fitting size and thread pitch? TIA
Old 12-15-19, 09:37 AM
Rickna
Racer

The brass fittings are 3/8" NPT.
Old 12-17-19, 12:48 PM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 82 Posts

I had an issue with my RR Racing AOS leaking and throwing codes. Took it off and mentioned to RR Racing that it was leaking and throwing codes, they just mentioned I had probably not installed it correctly (never put it back on my car). Anyone have a photo of the rubber seal where the tank screws onto the top? The seal on mine looks weird. Ill see if I can post up a photo here.
MLRSTJ (12-18-19)
Old 12-17-19, 01:05 PM
ALexusF
Pole Position

Here are the photos. Does anyone else's AOS rubber seal look like this? Mine has a weird indent (as if it melted).
Attached Thumbnails Help with RR Racing Air and Oil separator-img_3431.jpg   Help with RR Racing Air and Oil separator-img_3432.jpg   Help with RR Racing Air and Oil separator-img_3433.jpg  
Old 12-17-19, 03:05 PM
Rickna
Racer

@ ALexusF, Not sure if it melted, but it's definitely deformed.
Old 12-17-19, 04:10 PM
ALexusF
Pole Position

@ ALexusF, Not sure if it melted, but it's definitely deformed.
I had mentioned that to RR Racing in my initial email to them. I am trying to see if anyone else's seal looks like mine. The leak was very audible and came directly from the canister itself (instead of the hose connections like most with this issue have stated).

Quick Reply: Help with RR Racing Air and Oil separator