IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clunking NS400 pads part II - video inside, appreciate input

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 04:06 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Clunking NS400 pads part II - video inside, appreciate input

As a follow up to my previous post on this topic, take a look at the video and let me know your thoughts.

I can easily move the pads from left to right, however, this is not too dissimilar to what I can do with the pads on my G Coupe with Brembos, just takes less force to move them on the F.

My guess is that the problem lies more so with my ability to move them up and down as well. Indeed, at times after a road imperfection, it sounds like a second later the pads "drop" and you hear the clunk not only going over the imperfection, but after recovery as well. So, seems as though they are moving in both the x and y directions, and this is leading to a lot of noise.

If these pads really fit this loosely, others should without a doubt be hearing what I am; it is easily discernible with the windows open. If I apply brake pressure when going over he same imperfections to grip the pads tight against the rotors, no noise!

Final thoughts? Can someone else check their NS400s for movement?

Old 05-11-17, 04:50 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, when I had mine in it did the EXACT same thing like in your video. Mine were probably worse as 90% of the time when I stepped on the brakes it would clunk. I did notice that the clips were loose as well so I wonder if bending them so they clamp on the pads more will help?

Either way I am back to the dusty as hell stock pads but they do not clunk at all.
Old 05-11-17, 05:41 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The spring on top was my first concern- if that is a little bent and making little to no contact with the top of the pads then it can't do it's job. I'm not 100% convinced that's what is going on here but it wouldn't hurt to double check.

I belive we are going to see if we can get the OP another set of either Type NS or NS400 to see if it's a problem with this specific set of pads. Either way I'm pretty stumped because we have other pads from this batch out and on cars without issue. One way or another we'll try and get to the bottom of what's happening with the OP's brakes.

-Matt M.
The following users liked this post:
supersonic (05-11-17)
Old 05-11-17, 06:00 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Originally Posted by revolut1on
Yep, when I had mine in it did the EXACT same thing like in your video. Mine were probably worse as 90% of the time when I stepped on the brakes it would clunk. I did notice that the clips were loose as well so I wonder if bending them so they clamp on the pads more will help?

Either way I am back to the dusty as hell stock pads but they do not clunk at all.
Did you "bend" the clips before putting your stock pads back on? Funny thing is before these I had Stoptechs pads that dusted like crazy and squeeled like hell, but didn't clunk at all. And the clips are pretty sturdy, not really prone to bending. And it does the same thing on both front sides, thus just doesn't seem like a one off issue on my calipers.

Speedfreaks has been great and we've patiently collected more and more data on the issue. Perhaps it's as simple as the pads being on the edge of tolerance and perhaps some calipers are just slightly on the opposite side of tolerance and together they are loose.
Old 05-11-17, 11:30 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What process did you use to replace the pads? Theres an instructional video of a ISF brake pad change on youtube that I know people on here are using. The person on the video giving details actually pried the retainer "cross spring" out of the two pins, rather than removing a pin first and taking the cross spring out. IMO removing the spring first before the pins is incorrect, since it will put a lot of stress on the spring and can deform it while bending it to come out. The purpose of that retainer spring is to keep tension on the pads and keep them in place. If yours is deformed, than you will likely have loose pads. I would check those cross springs first, and probably replace them, since they are cheap.
Old 05-12-17, 12:55 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Bend your pad spring so it put some pressure on the pads if it looses tension get a new spring
Old 05-12-17, 04:51 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Originally Posted by isfvss
Bend your pad spring so it put some pressure on the pads if it looses tension get a new spring
You mean to tell me that all of my springs for all four front pads are all bent or need to be replaced simultaneously when they worked perfectly with the last set of pads on there??? On a car with less than 50k miles on the clock? Yet my Brembos on my 150k mile G Coupe continue to hold the pads in there flawlessly???

And, just to be sure, these pads were installed by the lead GTR technician at my local Nissan dealer and a good friend, so, the installer is someone skilled in the art who tells me things straight. Additionally, two Lexus mechanics did the initial diagnosis, so, three sets of trained eyes all saying the same thing that there is too much play in the pads. None of them seemed to think that springs needed to be bent to hold them in better. I don't think those springs bend that easily--they are pretty resilient metal, not deforming easily.
Old 05-12-17, 08:54 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
I don't think those springs bend that easily--they are pretty resilient metal, not deforming easily.
Your incorrect there. The metal spring clips bend easily. They are easy to deform. And in some cases, you need to bend them more so they apply tension to the pad.

If all 4 brakes are acting up, your installer could of easily overlooked that step of bending those clips back to apply tension. The sole purpose of that spring is to keep the pads from moving around...and obviously they are not doing the job on your car. And just looking at it isn't going to diagnose your problem, you have to take the parts out. Swapping pads is actually an easy process and can be done in about 45mins(less if your good at it). I would actually swap back to the stock pads just to see what happens.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 05-12-17 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-13-17, 12:39 AM
isfvss
Racer

HEY I just check my half worn NS 400,s and no movement I check the spring pressure and there it a lot, NO MOVMENT and yes a am a mechanic 45year of experience and why would it take 2 lexus techs to figure this out ..................I know they were Irish to be sure to be sure...... sorry..... I hope you sort it, let us know cheers Neill
Old 05-13-17, 03:51 AM
Jz39
Advanced

^^^Thanks for checking! Funny enough, when I was at lunch yesterday I looked out the window and saw a blue ISF on the used car lot next door and I took a quick look at it and checked the brakes--funny at it had green project mu pads on it. I checked both front sides and no significant movement of the pads that I could feel....but, that being said, the car was in pretty lousy shape and it could have been that they were rusted onto the rotor from sitting on the lot.
Old 06-08-17, 05:00 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Originally Posted by isfvss

How would one go about getting new springs?
Old 06-08-17, 05:31 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
How would one go about getting new springs?
Project Mu's don't come with new anti rattle clips/hardware for the pads? I know most here aren't fans of the StopTechs but it was included for the fronts with mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-FA...hXWEf1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by msgs350; 06-08-17 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 05:32 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Front: 049470W010 <$25
Rear: 049480W010 <$15

Clunking NS400 pads part II - video inside, appreciate input-screen-shot-2017-06-08-at-8.31.46-pm.png
Old 06-08-17, 05:59 PM
isfvss
Racer

Did you put new springs in and sort the problem ????
Old 06-08-17, 07:19 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Nice! Thank you! Just ordered the front and rear sets.

isfvss--I'm going to try these before I swap in new pads to make sure that one way or the other this issue is resolved the next time I have my mechanic work on it. Hopefully it will turn out to just be the clips. ! I'll report back as to the final resolution once it's complete.

Last edited by Jz39; 06-08-17 at 07:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Clunking NS400 pads part II - video inside, appreciate input