IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF vs. S4 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 09:10 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Manh3
Try shifting in an NSX or S2000 and get back to me. My M3 tranny was crap compared to my NSX and the BMW manuals have only gotten worse.
They actually gotten better. GS6-45BZ is a joy to shift even after S2000
Old 04-28-17, 05:32 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Cool car, I would personally never buy an Audi, but that's just me.
Old 04-28-17, 06:32 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
Don't you dare choose an R8 over a GT3. A driver's car vs. a baller's car.
Be the driver. Let the jewels personify the baller status
Add a P-car to my list of cars I would like to own. I think I'd rather have a 911 Turbo, even though I know the GT3 is the driver's car. But the R8 V10 sounds ridiculous with exhaust....

Originally Posted by Jz39
Went to the track with my buddy and his S5 supercharged. Stock I could beat him by three tenths (12.6 vs 12.9) but my trap was many mph higher than his, per the OPs comment about the ISF pulling away at speed. His entire run was made possible by really good Quattro launches and 60ft times! BUT, I have to admit the exhaust note sounded hideous going down the track-sorry, but it was really awful.

Next he pops the hood and plugs something in and bam 12.3!!! Dammit!

I think his 60ft times were like 1.8s. Sick. My 60ft was a lousy 2.1. If I could get a 1.8 I might be at 12 flat

Enjoy!
Thanks. I ran a 12.3 with the ISF on DR's. I think if you remove the spare and show up with less than 1/4 gas in your tank it will be possible for you.

Originally Posted by kolyan
Correct me if I am wrong but I read Audi has been busting people and voiding warranties on tuned cars, no? I read they connect car to their PC at every service and know if it was running some 3rd party software etc, if it does it gets flagged and if you have some engine issues, you'll be screwed
Correct. I am not tuned, and don't plan to, as this is my DD.

Originally Posted by kiryu
nice write up and comparison, thanks. I agree with all your conclusions, except the reliability of the S4. Knock on wood, but wait till the DSG fails under 100k miles. There's also more mechanical issues for sure. I belong to an audi club with my r8 and quite a number of fellow drivers have issues with the cars (not so much the A4), 3 have dsg failures that left them stranded. Maybe you can add MPG into the mix, I am sure the S4 would win easy over the F
Mine is 6MT, they are way more reliable than the DSG's. Believe it or not I was getting similar mileage in the F as the S4 because of the 8-speed transmission.

Originally Posted by Eedo123
Like a few have said already, I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for the reliability part. It's not even a question on which car is more reliable.
I had my fair share of issues with my 08 ISF, nothing major though. Maybe the later years are bulletproof but my F wasn't flawless. The reason why S4's reliability plummets is because people tune the cars, put smaller pulleys and do not upgrade the clutch. The DSG (auto trans) is also more prone to fail.

Originally Posted by SlowXIsf
Good comparison, ive been looking into an audi rs7 once the isf is paid off in a year.
That car is a beast!
Old 04-28-17, 08:17 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Hey VJ nice hearing from you brother. Nice to see you back at CL. Do you still have Lotus? I just pick RR Racing Tune, Tuned intake LCA Bushing and some Figs parts. My F is still running strong nice pick with Audi good choice for fast fun DD.
Old 04-28-17, 08:20 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Manh3
Try shifting in an NSX or S2000 and get back to me. My M3 tranny was crap compared to my NSX and the BMW manuals have only gotten worse.
Originally Posted by kolyan
Well my S2000 shifter felt like heaven compared to both M235 and S5 BMW only recently improved the feel of its manuals, not sure how robust they are though. M235 and S5 felt about the same in shift quality, maybe S5 a little better.
S2000 is a good competitor, so I'd imagine NSX having a similar feel to it. Good point, I'll take that. I did have an AP2 S2K for a while, so I'll agree to that.

350Z, G37, IS300...nope.
Old 04-28-17, 10:14 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Hey VJ nice hearing from you brother. Nice to see you back at CL. Do you still have Lotus? I just pick RR Racing Tune, Tuned intake LCA Bushing and some Figs parts. My F is still running strong nice pick with Audi good choice for fast fun DD.
Dave what's up brother. Still have the Lotus. We should meet up soon, would love to see how the F is doing. I was looking out for your F a few weeks ago passing JJ center, and sure enough it was there. I was on my way back home from NYC. Car's looking fresh as always!
Old 04-28-17, 12:13 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Vijay is a baller already...he owns 3 vehicles just look at his signature...
Old 05-08-17, 11:06 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
Vijay is a baller already...he owns 3 vehicles just look at his signature...
Says the guy with a heavily modded ISF, almost-new CT200h, and MR2.......
Old 05-08-17, 06:18 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 2018 RS3 is making me itch... 5 cylinder turbo like the former TTRS. It weighs in at 3300 pounds, AWD, magnetorheological dampers, dual clutch auto...

Damnit...German bastards.
Old 05-09-17, 02:20 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
The 2018 RS3 is making me itch... 5 cylinder turbo like the former TTRS. It weighs in at 3300 pounds, AWD, magnetorheological dampers, dual clutch auto...

Damnit...German bastards.
Yes yes the RS models are beastly but lack of manual transmission makes me sad. TTRS, and the old RS4 are the few RS models which come in manual nowadays.
Old 05-09-17, 08:16 PM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

The RS line up is great and all but having the engine hang over the front axle was always a deal killer to me. They have everything else going for them other than that and the front wheel bias haldex system.
Old 05-10-17, 10:50 AM
tpavdub
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a couple of VW's, no Audis. The HP and AWD look good on paper, but its hard to beat the fun factor with a RWD V8!
Old 05-10-17, 02:21 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I think the only audi I ever genuinely considered was the RS4, but finding that car was like a needle in a haystack. But I know the S4 can be a fun car as well, I drove a B5 S4 years back and it was a cool car, sound mean too. Only thing that sucked was that car had a very short mod path, similar to the ISF. But the ISF being faster out the gate helps

good review man
Old 05-11-17, 09:13 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tpavdub
I've had a couple of VW's, no Audis. The HP and AWD look good on paper, but its hard to beat the fun factor with a RWD V8!
True, I agree... but when you live in the northeast where snow is possible 4 months in the year, you want something to get you through it. I know people who drive their F's in snow on Blizzaks, I just don't want to take the risk. Plus I could only paddle shift for so long.

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
I think the only audi I ever genuinely considered was the RS4, but finding that car was like a needle in a haystack. But I know the S4 can be a fun car as well, I drove a B5 S4 years back and it was a cool car, sound mean too. Only thing that sucked was that car had a very short mod path, similar to the ISF. But the ISF being faster out the gate helps

good review man
Thanks. I also considered the RS4 but it lacks in terms of luxury, and every reasonably priced one I found had 120K+ miles. Too many for a German car. The B8/8.5 S4's can be made very fast for very little $$$. Chipwerke sells a cable where you can get 80HP for $499. Again, this compromises reliability but there's a wide array of modding options like tunes, smaller pulley, etc.
Old 05-11-17, 10:51 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
True, I agree... but when you live in the northeast where snow is possible 4 months in the year, you want something to get you through it. I know people who drive their F's in snow on Blizzaks, I just don't want to take the risk. Plus I could only paddle shift for so long.

Thanks. I also considered the RS4 but it lacks in terms of luxury, and every reasonably priced one I found had 120K+ miles. Too many for a German car. The B8/8.5 S4's can be made very fast for very little $$$. Chipwerke sells a cable where you can get 80HP for $499. Again, this compromises reliability but there's a wide array of modding options like tunes, smaller pulley, etc.
yeah agreed on all that man, once over a certain amount of miles a german car eliminates itself for me as well. but yeah the supercharged s4 car be made hella fast for cheap, its actually a dope car especially by today standard