IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF used parts market

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 10:46 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
You don't see those very often, how about 7k?
i see a bidding war here.. 10k.. if you include tpms..
Old 04-12-17, 10:11 AM
Lextasy4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by av8or
i see a bidding war here.. 10k.. if you include tpms..
Sold. PM me
Old 04-12-17, 10:42 AM
spollack93
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Wow, I've got a set mint 2011's with brand new rubber (Pilot Sports), good to know I can sell them for a pretty penny. I'm saving them for a rainy day tho
Old 04-12-17, 01:08 PM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spollack93
Wow, I've got a set mint 2011's with brand new rubber (Pilot Sports), good to know I can sell them for a pretty penny. I'm saving them for a rainy day tho

Everyone knows that nobody wants the 2010-2011 spider rims. I'll give you 500 for them haha
Old 04-12-17, 01:47 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
I agree. I see lots of used parts demanding top dollar. However, there are cases of fluctuating prices--KW coilovers bounced between 2200-2700MSRP, affecting used party sales--and of course, availability--pay 1000 used to get it now rather than paying 1200 to get it in a few months.
^^^^^^^^^yeah I have to agree with this one. perfect case would be KW coils, when my boy got a set years ago he paid about 2k, he recommended me get a set now, I was like bro KW are almost 3k now lol. but like everyone else said as well, its the people paying almost new price for used parts that are making it worse, not the sellers. Just like you look at diffusers coming down in price from where they were 2-4 years ago.

I mean if I sold my joe z exhaust for almost new price, and someone said okay cool, you think I wouldn't sell it? haha
Old 04-12-17, 05:22 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It's called the free market. Supply and demand. If you don't like the price, shop elsewhere.

You whine about used car parts, how about purchasing a home in a hot market?
Old 04-12-17, 05:44 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by tas02
It's called the free market. Supply and demand. If you don't like the price, shop elsewhere.

You whine about used car parts, how about purchasing a home in a hot market?
F no! That's why we haven't bought. Screw paying CA pricing in PNW **** weather. In for another dive soon, but that's a whole other topic
Old 04-12-17, 08:32 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

The other part of the equation is cheap buyers on CL in general and the IS-F community in particular. Coming from the Supra community, this surprised me quite a bit. I assumed, wrongly as it turned out, that guys and gals paying $55k-$65k for a new IS-F would be similar to used parts buyers in the Supra community. Boy was I wrong.

I try to establish competitive prices in the first place, so I'm not one to negotiate on price. I sold a single owner '07 IS-350, with all records, and 69k miles about 1 1/2 years ago for $17k. EVERY offer I received on CL, except the winning one, wanted me to reduce the price by $3-4k, hold the car, take payments, you name it. It took a while, but I finally sold the car.

I also had a BNIB set of PPE headers I purchased in FIGS' group buy. The headers were never unboxed. I finally decided to sell them for what I paid for them $1600, but dropped the price to $1,4xx when I was informed the headers were cast steel and not the stainless steel I had represented in my OP. Again, I received every cockamamie offer you can imagine until, 6-months after I posted my for sale thread, I sold the headers for my asking price.

I currently have a 13.7k mile OEM LSD for sale from my 2010 IS-F. I no longer need it because I have the OS Giken TCD LSD in my car. I checked dealer pricing before putting it up for sale ($4,5xx) for $1,500. Once again, I've been deluged with offers that are just plain insulting. I rarely sell parts because it's such a hassle for me. That said, OEM parts for my Supras and the IS-F deserve special consideration because of the rarity of the cars and, in the case of my Supras, parts that are NLA. As a result, I have no problem retaining such parts and, in the uncommon event, I put such items up for sale, I either get my price, or retain ownership, a win-win for me either way.

CL contains an inordinate number of out and out cheap asses, so a thread on this topic does not surprise me in the least.

Ken.
Old 04-14-17, 07:27 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
The other part of the equation is cheap buyers on CL in general and the IS-F community in particular. Coming from the Supra community, this surprised me quite a bit. I assumed, wrongly as it turned out, that guys and gals paying $55k-$65k for a new IS-F would be similar to used parts buyers in the Supra community. Boy was I wrong.

I try to establish competitive prices in the first place, so I'm not one to negotiate on price. I sold a single owner '07 IS-350, with all records, and 69k miles about 1 1/2 years ago for $17k. EVERY offer I received on CL, except the winning one, wanted me to reduce the price by $3-4k, hold the car, take payments, you name it. It took a while, but I finally sold the car.

I also had a BNIB set of PPE headers I purchased in FIGS' group buy. The headers were never unboxed. I finally decided to sell them for what I paid for them $1600, but dropped the price to $1,4xx when I was informed the headers were cast steel and not the stainless steel I had represented in my OP. Again, I received every cockamamie offer you can imagine until, 6-months after I posted my for sale thread, I sold the headers for my asking price.

I currently have a 13.7k mile OEM LSD for sale from my 2010 IS-F. I no longer need it because I have the OS Giken TCD LSD in my car. I checked dealer pricing before putting it up for sale ($4,5xx) for $1,500. Once again, I've been deluged with offers that are just plain insulting. I rarely sell parts because it's such a hassle for me. That said, OEM parts for my Supras and the IS-F deserve special consideration because of the rarity of the cars and, in the case of my Supras, parts that are NLA. As a result, I have no problem retaining such parts and, in the uncommon event, I put such items up for sale, I either get my price, or retain ownership, a win-win for me either way.

CL contains an inordinate number of out and out cheap asses, so a thread on this topic does not surprise me in the least.

Ken.
Nailed it, Ken.
Old 04-14-17, 08:05 PM
FFM
Racer

Being frugal is just smart. I've been modding cars for years. Been able to walk away from most of my mods with minimal loss due to deals from classifieds. Just being smart with money, because I like it too much to throw it away
Old 04-14-17, 09:46 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Being frugal is just smart. I've been modding cars for years. Been able to walk away from most of my mods with minimal loss due to deals from classifieds. Just being smart with money, because I like it too much to throw it away
frugality is a good thing but, as a seller, recouperating as much as possible from what we spent on parts to begin with is the goal. if folks are willing pay top dollar for used parts, then let it be.
Not sure why the "crackhead", or other negatives comments were nesseary in this thread.

Last edited by msgs350; 04-14-17 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 11:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
...Not sure why the "crackhead", or other negatives comments were nesseary in this thread.
Sounds like you don't frequent the classifieds here. I don't even bother with listing anything here anymore. Total waste of time. Craigslist is way better and doesn't have all the thread crappers and cheap asses we have here. Sorry if it offends, but it is my observation after being here 10 years.
Old 04-15-17, 12:57 AM
FFM
Racer

Haha I see it's opposite. You asking $50 less than MSRP as new, on a used part, you are a smoking crack. Sorry but just like a new car, you assume the loss of being the guy who had to have it fresh and new.
Old 04-15-17, 05:04 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

My headers were BNIB. My used 2010 OEM LSD has 13.7k miles and I listed it for one-third of the MSRP. Still received an abundance of crazy, low-ball offers. It is the way of the world on CL and people have no idea what the word "FIRM" means. I still receive cheap-*** offers even though I've made it clear my price is firm and it's not a distressed sale.

Lobuxracer is right. These kind of buyers are endemic on CL. On Supraforums, a low-ball offer is defined by the for sale rules as any offer less than 10% of the asking price and any discussion of price is deleted from the thread with the strong suggestion that such discussions take place via PM. In my for sale thread for my headers, I had to ask lobuxracer to delete a couple threads by a member who began crapping in my thread because I turned down his low-ball offer.

I'm cool if I don't sell my LSD but, if I do, I won't be trying to sell any more parts on CL. Life is already too short and I can't handle the brain damage.

Ken.
Old 04-15-17, 05:43 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Haha I see it's opposite. You asking $50 less than MSRP as new, on a used part, you are a smoking crack. Sorry but just like a new car, you assume the loss of being the guy who had to have it fresh and new.
This makes no sense whatsoever. If the market dictates i can get $50 less than MSRP, thats what I'm going to ask for a used part. There is no rule that says if a part is used, you must ask X% less than what MSRP is.
-R

Quick Reply: ISF used parts market