IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Which are the best Coil Overs for the ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 11:09 AM
JG853
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which are the best Coil Overs for the ISF?

Please share your opinions on what are the best coil overs for the ISF.

Thank you,

JG853
Old 04-10-17, 11:15 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your budget? unlimited?
Old 04-10-17, 11:17 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Best at what? I think you need more clarification on what you are looking for in order for people on here to give you informed answers.
Old 04-10-17, 11:39 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Agreed. Best is relative to the driver. Some are more budget-conscious, while others want the most performance oriented coilovers on the market.

But without knowing too much, BC Racing with Swift Spring upgrade is a good coilover setup for street and track driving. Going deeper in the wallet, KWV3, Penske, and Ohlins provide great road feedback and they're engineered for the track. And from what I recently saw over the weekend, RR Racing will have a new coilover offering, so you might want to look at that as well.

It really just depends on your budget and desire for the F.

Best of luck!
Old 04-10-17, 12:38 PM
JG853
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the information.

Budget is open. I am not going to track the car, and have several other sports cars with Coil Overs (All from LG Motorsports). They are not adjustable and are full race set-ups with associated sway bars and the like.

That being said, my ISF will just be driven on the street. Thus, I like a stiffer ride and want the best set-up for the ISF (As I am not sure what is out there).

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 04-10-17, 12:59 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I run BC with swift springs (16/12K) - it is my weekend ride and I am very happy with performance.

KW's are likely the most street-able setup..the spring rates are pretty tame and KW makes a quality product.
Old 04-10-17, 01:02 PM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like stated above ,also contact Mike from figsengineering or RRracing.
Old 04-10-17, 02:49 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

RR-Racing Penskes for performance/track
RR-Racing's new offering for mid-tier
BC for budget
Old 04-10-17, 03:48 PM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget HKS also offers a set for the IS F, and the ones that do have them on their car say they like em a lot
Old 04-10-17, 04:42 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Joel,

Just let me know which route you end up going..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-10-17, 05:41 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Greddy/KW has a set as well for a good price. Unfortunately there's no feedback on them YET, but price wise, they may be hard to beat 1300-1399$
Old 04-10-17, 05:58 PM
ashutoshvs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want to get rid of my KwV3

I want to go back to stock suspension. Anyone that wants my KwV3 can come take mine. Just need to swap mine to stock.
Ash
Old 04-10-17, 07:24 PM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ashutoshvs
I want to go back to stock suspension. Anyone that wants my KwV3 can come take mine. Just need to swap mine to stock.
Ash
Are you looking to swap because you disliked the kw ride or cause you're going to sell your vehicle? Does it matter if if it's the 08 suspension or are you looking for the revised stock suspension.
Old 04-11-17, 03:16 AM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Hi from over the pond.

I was in a similar situation to you, I have a 08 ISF only used on street and was looking at upgrading the stock suspension. I went with the BC racing option 14/10 as I am on standard rims and not looking to change them. Rear height is set to stock ride height and the front is 0.5" lower than stock. Dampers are set 17 click out from full stiff front 22 clicks out rear.

Now I have had them on the car for 4 months and here is my assessment:
In terms of turn in, and body control there is a significant change for the good over the stock items (I’m also running RR USRS’s).The car is also more balancing when braking heavily and the lean forward has been reduced significantly. Comfort wise is where I am not entirely satisfied, even on the softer settings pitted roads are felt through the car however the main issue for me is how the suspension reacts to a series of undulations in quick succession on the motorway (freeway) at speeds of 70mph+. I find myself almost lifting out of my seat in this situation. These are not sharp bumps but rather a quick series of dips and crests taken at speed, the suspension simply does not cope with this well.I have spoken to a few tuners here who work predominantly on German cars like M3s, M5s, AMGs etc (Lexus Tuners are few between here) and they all came back with the same response, you’re running a far too aggressive spring rate for a daily driven car and the shocks can’t control the spring in situations outlined above. They suggested swapping out the springs for a much milder spring rate, as comparison one gentleman I spoke to who owned an e39 M5 ran 8k/6k, however I would have to send the shocks back to BC to be re-valved for the softer springs.Now reading on the various threads, most guys are running even more aggressive spring rates than 14/10, but I believe most people are lowered over stock significantly and obviously the road conditions are different in the US to here in the UK but I believe for what I was looking to achieve I should have gone with something less aggressive. I’m not disappointed though as for the price point the improvement over stock is worth it.I’m going to run with these and may look to swap out some time this year with either the KW V3s which from reading around use a softer spring rate and will be more suited to UK/European roads. Or I may look to see if I can find 2012+ OE setup or go with the Bilstein B6 dampers with OE or mild progressive lowering springs (Eibach or Tein H techs).As a side note I have not yet explored the more aggressive damper settings yet, I’m not sure that will cure the problem mentioned above but maybe it will? Open to opinions on this….my current settings are the stiffest I have tried so far.
Old 04-11-17, 12:57 PM
ashutoshvs
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to go back to stock. My coilovers have been used gently on highway 85 in bay area. I feel the stock handles better than the KWV3. I am not selling the car.
The following users liked this post:
tas02 (05-11-18)

Quick Reply: Which are the best Coil Overs for the ISF?