IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Cheap lights - Mars Performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 11:18 PM
scsisf
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap lights - Mars Performance

Hey guys, I wanted to give a little warning to anyone out there interested in Mars Performance lights. 2yrs ago I picked up a used ISF that had tinted tail lights. The previous owner used some thick tinted overlays that I quickly removed once the car was mine. Underneath the overlays were deep razor scratches. Instead of picking up some OEM units, I decided to order a set of Mars Performance tail lights from Australia. They have a very cool light tint to them that I really liked.

The fit wasn't as great as OEM, but what aftermarket lights are. The pigtail harness wasn't a direct plug and play, but I was able to make them work. Fast forward 2yrs, the cool lights turned to duds. After a heavy rain storm a few weeks ago here in Northern CA, I noticed that my outer tail light was full of water. It probably sat like this for about a week without my knowing.

I contacted the company on ebay and they basically said I was SOL. Their warranty is only for 1yr. So for $350, you get tail lights that only last for 2yrs. I asked if they could just sell me a outer passenger light, but they said that they couldn't and that they can only sell them in sets.

Lesson learned on my part. Stay away from Mars Performance if you prefer quality lights. The do respond quickly, but their tone is a little condescending and aren't really willing to offer any type of positive purchasing experience after they have your money.
The following users liked this post:
imp0rted1 (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 04:53 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I've seen Mars stuff on ebay. But the shipping was so expensive I never bought from them. Glad I didn't.
Old 03-07-17, 03:54 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

That sux drill a small hole in the bottom to let the water out or find out were its getting in and seal it up.
Old 03-07-17, 05:33 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

BTW: I know they're not popular on the ISF but I have EagleEye's for 2 yrs-no problems except the resistors went (common problem). I now have an updated realy, so no problems.
Old 03-08-17, 04:32 PM
scsisf
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isfvss
That sux drill a small hole in the bottom to let the water out or find out were its getting in and seal it up.
I was able to drain all the water out, but the water probably sat in there too long before I noticed it so it left a weird mark(like a tan line) inside the housing. Even it if was fixable, I wouldn't want to reuse them based on the experience of dealing with Mars Performance. I work in the aftermarket industry so I'm well aware of what's doable or not and this company flat out refused to help an old customer. Once the transaction was done, that's the end of playing nice.

I will go back to the high quality factory units.