IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Check engine and turn off on Track day

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 08:24 PM
ChileanISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine and turn off on Track day

Hello everyone, I'm new to the LC, I just bought my 2012 ISF about 3 months ago and just went to my first track day on a small track in Chie (Leydaring). It drives great, no leaks, etc. Until today... driving on track after only about 5 or 6 laps, the oil temp went a bit high (about 3/4) and sudenly the check engine turned on and the car turned off. No abnormal smells, leaking, smoking, etc. After waiting for 30 minutes and disconecting the battery to reset the ECU the car started perfectly, so y went for another laps and same thing happened after 4 laps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-17, 01:49 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

GET IT TO A GOOD SHOP ASAP before some thing goes BANG have you checked all fluids, I would say you have low or ***** oil and filter don't push it.
The following users liked this post:
ChileanISF (01-13-17)
Old 01-13-17, 04:02 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

get the codes when the CEL is on, then go from there...
ChileanISF (01-13-17)
Old 01-13-17, 05:10 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Oil temps going high were normal for me when tracking the car without an Oil Cooler. I would even see temps as high as one bar from highest, after getting the oil cooler I don't see it go higher than 1-2 bars above mid, however I never got a CEL or car shut off on me. Read the CEL codes and get to the bottom of it as it does not sound good.
ChileanISF (01-13-17)
Old 01-13-17, 06:17 AM
ChileanISF
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I will do that snd let you know. ��
Old 01-13-17, 09:02 AM
bbong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChileanISF
Thanks guys, I will do that snd let you know. ��
I think I read once somewhere on this forum, that someone did get a CEL tracking their ISF, where Oil Temps reached high and CEL was thrown due to high transmission temperatures, but I don't remember seeing car shutting off on them. By looking at your location, you are in relatively warm climate, how hard were you pushing it? It does sound from your description that it maybe shutting off due to high temperatures somewhere, protecting itself from further damage.
Old 01-13-17, 02:30 PM
ChileanISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbong
I think I read once somewhere on this forum, that someone did get a CEL tracking their ISF, where Oil Temps reached high and CEL was thrown due to high transmission temperatures, but I don't remember seeing car shutting off on them. By looking at your location, you are in relatively warm climate, how hard were you pushing it? It does sound from your description that it maybe shutting off due to high temperatures somewhere, protecting itself from further damage.
Its a pretty rough track with very slow curves so a lot of shifting involved, oil cooler will work for the engine, so whath do you recomend for the transmission?? I have 50k mikes and we had 75°F that thay. Any good oil that could make a diference?
thanks again guys. 😁
Old 01-13-17, 04:52 PM
bbong
Intermediate

Its a pretty rough track with very slow curves so a lot of shifting involved, oil cooler will work for the engine, so whath do you recomend for the transmission?? I have 50k mikes and we had 75°F that thay. Any good oil that could make a diference?
thanks again guys. 😁
Frankly I have not had any issues with tranny and I'm not saying that you do either, pull the CEL codes and see what they were, also 75F isn't bad either, rather perfect temps for tracking a car and when I got the ISF I wasn't comfortable with the car to be really pushing it, so I took it easy at first to see what I can and can't do before I finally opened it up, but starting tracking it I didn't need an Oil Cooler either, until I would start being more aggressive with it and upping mine and its potential when Oil Temps started to become an issue for me, only then I opted for an Oil Cooler.

Hit up Rafi @ RR Racing or Mike @ FIGS, they are great at supporting our platform with mods to make it quicker, stop quicker, keep it cooler or better planted to the road.
Old 01-13-17, 07:12 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you change the oil and filter when you bought the car? If not, this is a good time to do so and invest in some good synthetic oil that will withstand higher temperatures.
Old 01-14-17, 06:06 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
If not, this is a good time to do so and invest in some good synthetic oil that will withstand higher temperatures.
Agreed
FWIW, my oil temp has consistently been one bar lower (both DD & track days) since I switched to Red Line oil. I've done track days in the low 90s with no oil temp issues. I'm slowly increasing my oil change intervals (with Blackstone analysis) to help offset the higher cost of Red Line oil.

-Mike
Old 01-15-17, 11:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Oil temperature is not monitored by the ECM, so you could have oil ready to auto-ignite and the engine would keep running. 75F is cold. There should be zero thermal issues at this OAT. I tracked my car in South Carolina at 102F and never had a CEL or had the car go into limp mode. VSC cooked my front brakes, and still didn't shut me down.

You have something else causing the issue you are having. Without knowing what DTCs are set, anything is just guessing. This car (platform) has proved reliable on track at many venues at widely varying altitudes and temperatures, so hearing yours is shutting down is cause for concern for you. If you do not possess diagnostic tools or have access to diagnostic tools to help assess the real culprit, there's not much any of us can do to help other than speculate. Lots of things can go wrong and cause limp mode, but hearing your car is shutting down completely suggests this is far more serious than limp mode problems.
Old 07-17-18, 01:51 PM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Similar Experience

Hello everyone, I'm new to the LC, I just bought my 2012 ISF about 3 months ago and just went to my first track day on a small track in Chie (Leydaring). It drives great, no leaks, etc. Until today... driving on track after only about 5 or 6 laps, the oil temp went a bit high (about 3/4) and sudenly the check engine turned on and the car turned off. No abnormal smells, leaking, smoking, etc. After waiting for 30 minutes and disconecting the battery to reset the ECU the car started perfectly, so y went for another laps and same thing happened after 4 laps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I had a similar problem / experience at my track day last week.

During the long sweeper my engine cut out, on two separate occasions, at virtually exactly the same point, on two different sessions, on the same track day.

Living in Sydney Australia I was at the Sydney Motorsport Speed Park / Eastern Creek Race Track which is a 2.45m track ... the sweeper’s lowest speed in my ISF is 93mph and top speed down the main straight is 138mph.

I rang Lexus and was advised that they had had other ISF owners experience the same problem on a Track day.

They advised to disconnect the battery for two minutes which will clear the ECU. On both occasions the engine immediately fired back up and the transmission worked perfectly ... unfortunately no error logs were retained with this solution!

The explanation given for this engine cut out was that it was most likely due to the sustained lateral g where all the transmission oil has slumped to one side and if the sensor detects there is no oil present after a certain amount of time it shuts off the engine ... I am sure though that there are other ISF owners who track their cars on corners with higher speeds and longer lengths / sustained lateral g’s than this one.

For your reference I have done five other track days at Sydney Motorsport Speed Park in my ISF. The only difference this time was that I had upgraded to R compound semi slick (100 UTQG - Nitto 01), previously I had used the Nitto NT05 UHP tyre (200 UTQG).

Furthermore the transmission has continued to perform flawlessly over the past week being used as a daily driver, so I am at this stage I am inclined to accept the suggestion given by Lexus as the most likely cause.

I was advised to replace the transmission oil as this may help prevent this experience in the future (my ISF has done 65,000 miles) ... so this was done two days ago.

I will update this post after the next track day there in a couple of months and let you know whether this fixed the problem or not.

Obviously I would be keen to hear from anyone else who has experienced a similar problem and what was done to resolve it?

Matthew

Last edited by SydneyAust; 06-12-19 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Removed videos from YouTube and have deleted comments referencing it.
Old 07-17-18, 02:20 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Have you had your ECU tuned.?
Old 07-17-18, 02:48 PM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply

Originally Posted by isfvss
Have you had your ECU tuned.?
No ... It is stock 2010 ISF with the exception of the Nitto 01’s & Project mu RC09’s on Track Days.

Last edited by SydneyAust; 07-17-18 at 02:56 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling
Old 06-12-19, 04:58 PM
SydneyAust
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I forgot to update my post following a number of track days at the same circuit.

Good news is that following a ‘flush’ (multiple drains and refills) of the transmission I have never encountered this problem again on the same corner or anywhere else’s on this track, or the other track I frequent! I have completed 3 track days on this circuit since my previous post, with multiple hot laps per session and 6 sessions per track Day, so I have complete confidence that this problem has now been rectified.

On reflection I wonder now whether the ATF fluid was off a little to begin with and such a problem was only evident on track with semi-slicks?
mike33 (06-12-19)

Quick Reply: Check engine and turn off on Track day