IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

The hunt seems to last forever: red seated ISF

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 08:53 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

[QUOTE=Jmt1011;9720904]I define "way to high" as NADA valuation being around $33k. You know, what banks lend money on and how insurance will pay out on a total loss. You can also define it as KBB fair purchase price being $35k, even though KBB isn't the best authority on price. If he buys for $41,500, heck even $40k he just lost at least $5k right off the bat. We all love our cars but we have to be realistic about pricing when someone is asking for advice. But at the end of the day, it's what you are willing to pay for what you want👍[/QUOTE

Very understandable and understood for sure. But nada doesn't take into account warranty on vehicle, tires needed or not, brakes and other maintenance items needed or not. That's my point. By the time he pays $36-$38k for one privately, then adds all that this one has me MIGHT would have paid $1k more for this one....Just not worth the hassle or wait. Everything is DONE on this car. They go the extra mile for CPO vehicles. We bought a CPO RX350 from Lexus this summer and I am overly please on how the test the car before it even hits the lot for sale. The 161 point inspection or whatever is peace of mind. And yes, we "over paid" by about $3-4k, but with the warranty, maintinance items, new tires, free first 2 services, etc etc etc, I feel it was money well spent....No hassle involved with buying one for $4k less and me buying tires, etc etc etc involved with buying and gambling privately.
And you guys can't quote auction prices....Doesn't count one bit. We all know they are $4-10k lower than what we all pay.

V.
Old 12-30-16, 09:26 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet

Very understandable and understood for sure. But nada doesn't take into account warranty on vehicle, tires needed or not, brakes and other maintenance items needed or not. That's my point. By the time he pays $36-$38k for one privately, then adds all that this one has me MIGHT would have paid $1k more for this one....Just not worth the hassle or wait. Everything is DONE on this car. They go the extra mile for CPO vehicles. We bought a CPO RX350 from Lexus this summer and I am overly please on how the test the car before it even hits the lot for sale. The 161 point inspection or whatever is peace of mind. And yes, we "over paid" by about $3-4k, but with the warranty, maintinance items, new tires, free first 2 services, etc etc etc, I feel it was money well spent....No hassle involved with buying one for $4k less and me buying tires, etc etc etc involved with buying and gambling privately.
And you guys can't quote auction prices....Doesn't count one bit. We all know they are $4-10k lower than what we all pay.

V.

Its all valid if the one you find for $34-35-38k or whatever is in bad condition. Some can be in a better condition then Lexus CPO if previous owner cared about the car

If I was looking for ISF right now, I would probably pick up that white one I posted and import it.

Last edited by kolyan; 12-30-16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 10:28 AM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
This one is on the high side and has been for sale for a while I think. 2012 w/25k miles w/factory warranty as they say. I would not be surprised if they sell it for $33-35k USD
I don't think this car is that overpriced. It's reasonably priced for this area and I'm sure they would negotiate a bit on it.

Also USD 35k = CAD 47,057 based on today's exchange rate. So not too far off of what you think the car would go for.
Old 12-30-16, 10:39 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Looks like the black one is off the website, so possibly sold. Do you need 4 doors? If not, I'd personally get the RC-F. Since you are in WA state, for reference, I bought my 2012 Nebula Grey/Red leather with 32k miles in January 2016 for $40k before tax/other fees.

How much of a hassle would it be to register that Canadian car in the US? Is there extra cost involved? Would a US buyer have any issues with the remaining factory warranty being honored at the local dealership?

Last edited by msgs350; 12-30-16 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 11:47 AM
redstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my time of driving I have always like owning "cult" cars. I use the word cult cause it always is like that, owners really love their cars, have forums that are alive, people are always trying to get you to join, any issues you can find answers.

I will fill out some of the issues on the black isf
1. all 4 wheels were replaced as they were out of round (not a big issue until you read further)
2. the right side rear was repaired. 3/4 panel, trunk and bumper I think.
3. left side door was repaired and wing mirror replaced.
It just seems like the car wasn't looked after.

The Canadian ones are interesting and dis import my tr6 from Canada a couple of years ago as a classic, so may consider that.
Warranty I think works across NA (USA, Canada, Mexico), so should transfer.
The import duty to US as it was manufactured in Japan is 2.5% after the 1st $800
The instrument panel, some of it can be switched metric to imperial but not everything (as far as I know)
I could be wrong on a couple of above.

Above all, thanks to all the "cult" members here.

Last edited by redstar; 12-30-16 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 12:34 PM
kolyan
Advanced

2.5% import tax, shouldnt need to switch anything on instrument panel. Might need a letter from Lexus saying that it meets USA safety and emission, but its easy to get. There is 2012 with 21k miles for $32700 too. $33.5k imported....not bad for 2012 ISF with such low miles. I would definitely feel like a sucka paying +$10k in USA for that car

Last edited by kolyan; 12-30-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 09:08 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

Anothe thing to note is that the Nebula is distinctive as a newer year because the color started in 2012.
Old 01-03-17, 08:24 AM
kolyan
Advanced

They go the extra mile for CPO vehicles.

V.

Just remembered and wanted to add. One of the 1st ISF that I looked at was pretty beat up and came from an owner who didnt give a rats *** about that car. The car was for sale for roughly 9-11 months straight.....3-4 auctions, 2-3 dealerships. Ended up being sold as a Lexus CPO to a member in here for about $2-3k more then what dealer offered it to me. So not all CPOs are perfect ))
Old 01-03-17, 09:43 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Just remembered and wanted to add. One of the 1st ISF that I looked at was pretty beat up and came from an owner who didnt give a rats *** about that car. The car was for sale for roughly 9-11 months straight.....3-4 auctions, 2-3 dealerships. Ended up being sold as a Lexus CPO to a member in here for about $2-3k more then what dealer offered it to me. So not all CPOs are perfect ))
They correct ALL issues once Lexus gets it and makes it a CPO car. It can be the worse conditioned car in the world, they'll do what's necessary to make it like new visually/cosmetically and mechanically.

V.
Old 01-03-17, 09:55 AM
kolyan
Advanced

They correct ALL issues once Lexus gets it and makes it a CPO car. It can be the worse conditioned car in the world, they'll do what's necessary to make it like new visually/cosmetically and mechanically.

V.
Yes. But body work, disregard for maintenance by previous owner(s), etc....that all stays. Dealers are in the business of making money, sometimes that requires hiding info from customers. No one is going to tell you that car went though hell before )) I was in this business too, most "issues" are taken care of with a nice and shiny detail, makes everyone think cars is perfect (including me)

Last edited by kolyan; 01-03-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-03-17, 07:25 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a 2014 NGP with 25k miles, and a red and black interior on cars.com. it is not CPO though...

May be worth a look.
Old 01-03-17, 07:32 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280ISF
There is a 2014 NGP with 25k miles, and a red and black interior on cars.com. it is not CPO though...

May be worth a look.
he can still get the official warranty from lexus extended for 2k for another 4 years .. i'd grab that one
Old 01-04-17, 07:52 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

As long as the car is under a certain mileage, was not smoked in and was not in an accident, they can certify it and sell it CPO.
Old 01-04-17, 08:15 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Why would you bother importing a car from Canada while there are plenty of IS-F's on AutoTrader? They just not may be where you live.

I will be brutally honest about buying an IS-F, it's not a 20 minute ride to the dealership and you're back home in 3 hours. Maybe to some, but not for most. If you are looking for a certain year, color and price you're going to have to do some leg work, and most likely fly out of State to buy one, ship or drive it home, register it, etc. It will not be a walk in the park in most cases. You'll have an easier time buying an RC-F or a GS-F that's on the showroom floor or order one. Not trying to discourage anyone, but again as a potential buyer, you have 2 things working against you, the car is no longer in production, the car is rare.
Old 01-04-17, 08:49 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Why would you bother importing a car from Canada while there are plenty of IS-F's on AutoTrader? They just not may be where you live.

I will be brutally honest about buying an IS-F, it's not a 20 minute ride to the dealership and you're back home in 3 hours. Maybe to some, but not for most. If you are looking for a certain year, color and price you're going to have to do some leg work, and most likely fly out of State to buy one, ship or drive it home, register it, etc. It will not be a walk in the park in most cases. You'll have an easier time buying an RC-F or a GS-F that's on the showroom floor or order one. Not trying to discourage anyone, but again as a potential buyer, you have 2 things working against you, the car is no longer in production, the car is rare.
And to add to that, VERY MUCH sought after.
Consider yourself lucky if you find a seller willing to negotiate down from their asking price.

V.

Quick Reply: The hunt seems to last forever: red seated ISF