IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 12:13 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

As milehifcar has said, its true many of us have been blending for quite some time now. Him longer than us. Trust me we all kind of raised eyebrows when he started blending. With the proper research it appears to be safe and very effective. We have done ALOT of datalogging on e85. As stated we have been having low kc values at altitude with the tune. An e30 blend has been a great balancer. With the tune...personally used to run 13-16 kc on just pump 91, and with e30 16-19. Still not the ideal 20+ many are getting at sea level but it has helped us out alot. Unsure if it would be beneficial at sea level but i would imagine it would only help by further advancing timing
Old 10-24-16, 12:14 PM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your mpg similar when using the E85 blend compared to normal gas?
Old 10-24-16, 01:08 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xellos
Is your mpg similar when using the E85 blend compared to normal gas?
Actually seeing a 1-3 mpg increase 👍
Old 10-24-16, 01:11 PM
minator
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm another high altitude blender... running about 30-38% ethanol. I've been doing so since about August. The largest difference is noticed during hot weather, particularly low end throttle response. In 90F, the car feels as responsive as days in the 50s. I haven't data logged with the blend yet, i think dcguy may still have my 91 data logs? I am running the sea level tune still. While running 91 there was a substantial low rpm hesitation where it felt like the Ecu was trying to figure out timing; this is largely gone while running the e85 blend.

I've been running garage studies on corrosion of e85 on mild steel (NACE) and copper, and have found nothing of worry, even when adding several percent of water to the mixture.
If you guys knew how corrosive gasoline is you wouldn't be worried about the corrosivity of ethanol
Gasoline has various corrosion inhibitors injected into it (some supplied by my company), so if you're blending with pump gas you get those as well, they just get slightly diluted.
The only thing I have slight concern about is the lubricity of the fuel, but that is a concern with gasoline or ethanol. I haven't heard of any fuel pump failures due to wear, though with the passing of new low sulfur rules for gasoline (just like they did with diesel, many owners of which found out that many components that are removed when they remove sulfur acted as lubrication for the fuel pump and injectors) it kind of peaks my interest. May not be a concern since gas direct injection is much lower pressure than diesel. Either way, commercially available lubricity additives for diesel work the same for gasoline, I just don't see any evidence of it being needed yet. But I digress!
Old 10-24-16, 05:03 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I have to be honest.. This whole thread seems kind of corny..

-Mike
Old 10-24-16, 05:06 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft

-Mike
Just a little bit.
Old 10-24-16, 05:10 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by dcguy
Actually seeing a 1-3 mpg increase 👍
Ditto, seen an increase in mpg by about the same^^^^probably due to the fact that they car is running a little bit leaner at part throttle applications would be my guess?

Guys,

I've been so happy with the results of splash blending with the F that I started blending with my other very non sport vehicles (Odyssey, Azera). I have seen the same results with them as far as better mpg's and better throttle response with both vehicles + it's cheaper every fill up
Old 10-24-16, 05:12 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikersoft

-Mike
Lol......... well I get told now that my exhaust smells like corn more often then not? Strange thing is it hasn't increased my consumption of popcorn
Old 10-24-16, 05:14 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

should we be concerned about the cleaning effect of E85 and maybe clogging injectors or fuel filter ( which I don't think the ISF has) on cars with higher miles?
but I do like the Idea of all this, I have E85 not too far from me and lot less than the $9.99 a gal Sunoco GT260/105 octane
Old 10-24-16, 05:17 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

If your concerned that your system is very dirty (because your right it does clean out your fuel system which is good!), then I would start off with E20 then increase from there so it'll be a gradual clean per se.

I started with one tank of E25 then moved up to E30 and fluctuate between E30-35 usually
Old 10-24-16, 05:35 PM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey do you guys think I'll have a problem mixing e85 and 93 at sealevel I'm from miami I have fob and the tune
Old 10-24-16, 05:41 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eddyisf
Hey do you guys think I'll have a problem mixing e85 and 93 at sealevel I'm from miami I have fob and the tune
Not at all, and it seems from Idoke results who is in Cali (sea level) and has the tune his numbers went up to 24!! That's crazy because I think you can only max out at 25 on the KCLV! So he's seeing full timing advance with the tune, I'd say go for it, report back what you think?
Old 10-24-16, 05:46 PM
Fuzzyoner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please explain to me what these mean so I can understand this thread completely

KCLV
FBO

.....there's no such thing as a dumb question lol
Old 10-24-16, 05:47 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Im on the tune and tuned intake and FBO, will get some this weekend , will probably do a E20 blend and work to a E30 to work towards that 25 KCLV
Old 10-24-16, 05:49 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fuzzyoner
Please explain to me what these mean so I can understand this thread completely

KCLV
FOB

.....there's no such thing as a dumb question lol
FBO= Full Bolt On's

KCLV= knock level

Quick Reply: Will the ISF run well with a blend of e85?