IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 03:05 PM
MikeB139
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I installed the Vline2 as well.
At startup, the screen was off-centre, but after the OTA updates it was nicely centred.

But then, then I installed the 8.1 update...
The entire screen is off-centre bij 0.5cm (1/4 inch), but the active area you press is still centred. That's unusable.
I've opened a support ticket and hopefully it can be fixed.

Old 03-30-19, 09:18 AM
baviaannl
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeB139
So, I installed the Vline2 as well.
At startup, the screen was off-centre, but after the OTA updates it was nicely centred.

But then, then I installed the 8.1 update...
The entire screen is off-centre bij 0.5cm (1/4 inch), but the active area you press is still centred. That's unusable.
I've opened a support ticket and hopefully it can be fixed.

I would check your connections, looks like a faulty video cable or one which isn't plugged in correctly.
Old 03-30-19, 01:24 PM
MikeB139
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, but it wasn't a connection issue since it was fine after the last 5.1.1 OTA update.
It started again after the update to 8.1.

Today, to my amazement there was another OTA update and that FIXED IT!!
The screen is now centred again and all the touch areas are correct.
Man, I'm happy now
Old 03-31-19, 07:43 PM
gixxerjp
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kjer

I've been having the same issue with my V1. I'm getting really sick of having to restart the car to fix it. Please fix this GROM
Yep I get the same thing. I was told by grom support that this is normal.

From grom support
Dear Justin,
Backup camera limitations:

On some rare stereos you may experience backup camera limitations. VL2 will disable backup camera while in VLine mode. You will need either to turn the stereo off or switch to non VLine mode (such as FM) to reactivate the backup camera while in reverse.

From the videos you have provided, there seems to be no issues. When you are able to record a video of the issue, please provide us the link to view the video.

of course doing the switch of inputs or turning it off does not work either. It will still occasionally crash like this.
Old 04-01-19, 06:52 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry for not reading 114 pages lol. I have an unopened vline from the initial run back in 2016. It was an impulse buy and I never installed it because I already had a buddy of mine install a 2nd hand vaistech unit shortly before that.

Since I'm going to have the dash and panels replaced when they come in should I have Lexus install the unit while they're in there? Or is the v1 antiquated to the point where it's not worth installing?
Old 04-01-19, 07:56 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
Sorry for not reading 114 pages lol. I have an unopened vline from the initial run back in 2016. It was an impulse buy and I never installed it because I already had a buddy of mine install a 2nd hand vaistech unit shortly before that.

Since I'm going to have the dash and panels replaced when they come in should I have Lexus install the unit while they're in there? Or is the v1 antiquated to the point where it's not worth installing?
personally i would sell it.. and perhaps buy the VL2 when issues or fixed.
Old 04-01-19, 11:19 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby

Still rocking the VL1 here... with seemingly less issues than many people who post here. Its not perfect, has its quirks, and can be slow sometimes (but not sure how much slower than VL2; I imagine VL2 is faster but still not as fast as I'd ideally want it to be) but gets the job done most of the time.

If money isn't an issue I'm sure the VL2 is better (and will keep widening the gap) but, given secondhand VL1s now prob go for around $300, is it worth the extra ~$250-300 to upgrade? Well, you'll have to make that decision for yourself... but that is my main reason for sticking with the VL1 for now.
Old 04-02-19, 08:13 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WillAP1
Still rocking the VL1 here... with seemingly less issues than many people who post here. Its not perfect, has its quirks, and can be slow sometimes (but not sure how much slower than VL2; I imagine VL2 is faster but still not as fast as I'd ideally want it to be) but gets the job done most of the time.

If money isn't an issue I'm sure the VL2 is better (and will keep widening the gap) but, given secondhand VL1s now prob go for around $300, is it worth the extra ~$250-300 to upgrade? Well, you'll have to make that decision for yourself... but that is my main reason for sticking with the VL1 for now.
I agree, the VL1 still works perfect for me, some quirks, but nothing that makes me clench my fists or even get flustered at this point.

The unit itself is stable and works for everything I ask of it, some minor integrative features (sporadic backup cam etc) are not perfect, but def still worth installing.
Old 04-02-19, 08:41 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
I agree, the VL1 still works perfect for me, some quirks, but nothing that makes me clench my fists or even get flustered at this point.

The unit itself is stable and works for everything I ask of it, some minor integrative features (sporadic backup cam etc) are not perfect, but def still worth installing.
My backup camera almost never has problems. I think I have the most issues with the GPS and related apps but that also probably has a good bit to do with me leaving it in the glovebox and driving through areas where even my cellphone doesn't have signal. If I'm in the city or another area with good signal then at worst its just Waze being a bit slow to respond on the unit.
Old 04-02-19, 08:56 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

My backup camera almost never has problems. I think I have the most issues with the GPS and related apps but that also probably has a good bit to do with me leaving it in the glovebox and driving through areas where even my cellphone doesn't have signal. If I'm in the city or another area with good signal then at worst its just Waze being a bit slow to respond on the unit.
I have pinpointed what causes mine to act funky, so all it took was a little adapting and I don't even notice it, but I know it's brought up here frequently.

Do you keep your GPS dongle in your glove?? I should probably do that, I hate looking at it on the dash, it's the only thing I have exposed with my VL and I would like to get it off there...
Old 04-02-19, 10:19 AM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unagijimbo
I have pinpointed what causes mine to act funky, so all it took was a little adapting and I don't even notice it, but I know it's brought up here frequently.

Do you keep your GPS dongle in your glove?? I should probably do that, I hate looking at it on the dash, it's the only thing I have exposed with my VL and I would like to get it off there...
What did you have to adapt?

Yep I do. Works ok... probably not optimal but I don't use it too often and when I do it works just fine in all the same places my phone has a good signal. Yeah that's why I did it. A bit of an eyesore lol.
Old 04-05-19, 06:33 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

What did you have to adapt?
I just learned the quirks, sometimes if I flip it in reverse too quick before the VL starts to boot the camera doesn't go on. A few other things that are too wordy to explain, but nothing major. Like I said, I'm still in love with my VL1 after 2 years of daily use.

It really makes my 2005 LS feel new. It already has most of the safety tech making it's way into cars today, so the updated infotainment really keeps things fresh. Nobody believes me when I tell them my car is almost 15 years old
Old 04-13-19, 11:35 AM
rrholmes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two groms. Firmware release came out last few days. Upgraded my 2016 ES350 and 2016 RX350. Now both units work fine if connected in the es350 but neither will show the grom dashboard on the rx350. I can tell the units are booting up an my iPhone will detect carplay connected. Anybody with a 16+ RX350 take a firmware update in the last few days?

I double checked all connections. It stopped booting to grom immediately after installing the firmware update during it's automatic reboot cycle.

Last edited by rrholmes; 04-13-19 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 01:03 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Anyone have luck getting a bluetooth OBD2 reader hooked up to their VLine? So they can use the Torque app or something like it? My VLine just doesnt see it at all.
Old 05-07-19, 10:45 AM
tbdxb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yep I do. Works ok... probably not optimal but I don't use it too often and when I do it works just fine in all the same places my phone has a good signal. Yeah that's why I did it. A bit of an eyesore lol.
I am considering buying a VL2 for my IS, and I was thinking the same - where to "hide" the GPS antenna. Can it be installed under the dash but not shielded from any metal, and in sufficient distance to the speakers? I have seen something like this in a YT clip about installing an aftermarket navi in a Ford Fusion.
Has anyone done this? Is there a place, and how to access it for the placement?

Any hints appreciated, before I start tearing the dash apart

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?