IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 05:34 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastF
Even with bugs and glitches possible that's just an excuse, while all the cars my family have no glitches or bugs have appeared... and the whole screen literally controls the entire car. Yeah maybe theres a black screen, but that happened once in four years.

Same goes for any software. There's difference between minor and major, this looks pretty major.
Exactly, that is what I am thinking.

for the "software developer..... an example of what I mean with my post is when I buy a $60-$80 no name tablet for my 5 yr old I expect of it to be a piece of crap that could work just ok and have many issues, but when I buy, say a Samsung for a few 100's I expect something much better, and for the most part they are bug free!

That is what I expect for the Vline to be if I was to pay what they are asking, if it was a couple 100's I would not have much of an issue with it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-19, 03:58 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by luislopezt
Exactly, that is what I am thinking.

for the "software developer..... an example of what I mean with my post is when I buy a $60-$80 no name tablet for my 5 yr old I expect of it to be a piece of crap that could work just ok and have many issues, but when I buy, say a Samsung for a few 100's I expect something much better, and for the most part they are bug free!

That is what I expect for the Vline to be if I was to pay what they are asking, if it was a couple 100's I would not have much of an issue with it!!!!!!!!!!
There is a huge difference between a standalone computer/tablet and something like the VLine that has to integrate with existing hardware (likely with no help from the OEM) and be PnP. There are tons of people who make tablets. Ask yourself ow many companies make products that compare to the VLine at all? MAYBE another one or two... and they probably don't work as well anyways and some are already out of business. There is a reason for that. There is a ton of R&D that goes into making something like this work AT ALL let alone well. If you're the kind of person who can't cope with minor bugs and work around them and enjoy all the other benefits (that most agree outweigh the bugs) then you should leave your car stock. Innovation comes at a price, sounds like you aren't willing to pay it.
Old 01-01-19, 06:50 PM
luislopezt
Driver

Originally Posted by WillAP1
There is a huge difference between a standalone computer/tablet and something like the VLine that has to integrate with existing hardware (likely with no help from the OEM) and be PnP. There are tons of people who make tablets. Ask yourself ow many companies make products that compare to the VLine at all? MAYBE another one or two... and they probably don't work as well anyways and some are already out of business. There is a reason for that. There is a ton of R&D that goes into making something like this work AT ALL let alone well. If you're the kind of person who can't cope with minor bugs and work around them and enjoy all the other benefits (that most agree outweigh the bugs) then you should leave your car stock. Innovation comes at a price, sounds like you aren't willing to pay it.
you don't get it do you?..., I was programming before you were born, I was modifying cars before you were born, I was parachuting before you were born, by the time you were born I had done things you cannot even star to imagine.... Maybe I'm an "old timer", but premium price is paid for premium items.... so you have a lexus (I guess) and you paid a premium price for it.... so you expect it to be better quality than a Hyundai.... I guess…...otherwise.... why spend more...….

Old 01-01-19, 06:54 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by luislopezt
you don't get it do you?..., I was programming before you were born, I was modifying cars before you were born, I was parachuting before you were born, by the time you were born I had done things you cannot even star to imagine.... Maybe I'm an "old timer", but premium price is paid for premium items.... so you have a lexus (I guess) and you paid a premium price for it.... so you expect it to be better quality than a Hyundai.... I guess…...otherwise.... why spend more...….
Lol ok, so you're one of those guys huh? Ok bud. I bet you graduated top of your class in the Navy Seals as well.

Anyways, I'm done trying. Enjoy being a know it all for a product you don't even own and clearly never will while the rest of us enjoy it with minimal issues.
Old 01-02-19, 02:48 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Have a good day snowflake!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-19, 04:08 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

folks, knock off the personal comments or do not post
The following users liked this post:
ISF5L (01-02-19)
Old 01-02-19, 07:35 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed DaveGS4, no reason for anyone to get personal. Everyone entitled to their own opinions.
Like what someone mentioned, i paid more for my Samsung Note and its generally bug free however a few mates dont like it and switched to IOS reporting nothing but issues. It happens i guess.
I do believe most of the issues resonating in this thread are more geared towards the first editions.
I was hesitant before buying the Vline V2 as its not cheap but personally (cant speak for all) i have no regrets. Minimal issues if that. It does what its advertised to do and makes my daily rides much more enjoyable.
I also hesitate with each software update as i have read some have issues afterwards but for me, never had an issue on an upgrade (maybe im lucky), im also sure that many with a Vline are not on this thread.
Unfortuanately many who have this bug free dont write about it or share their experiences, they just continue using it but those with issues will understandably be more vocal.
Of the couple of times i had minor issues, i reached out to Grom and they responded pretty quick etc so i was fine with this.
Anyways hoping the Vline continues to improve, have more features and more get on board so the price drops even more for future buyers.
Ps Did consider Beatsonic but didnt want an aftermarket look or double screen so i do enjoy the OEM look it has. Anyone getting in my car have no idea ive even got it unless i switch modes which i think is cool. i.e. You can still use the factory Satnav etc if you wanted.
Old 01-03-19, 12:37 AM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Damn did I burst some bubbles in way... Anyways... I like Vline, I believe its a cool concept, but I'd love to see and wait for a version 1.0 and not deal with the alpha beta trend that most go through these days. Yawn* I've dealt with some and they just pocketed the money and take there sweet time.

Maybe im just not into tech like that anymore... I had CyanogenMod on Android if many know what that is. The you can tell I explored the fancy stuff. I'll give Vline a shot somehow, maybe further later into development.
Old 01-03-19, 06:21 AM
unagijimbo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Agreed DaveGS4, no reason for anyone to get personal. Everyone entitled to their own opinions.
Like what someone mentioned, i paid more for my Samsung Note and its generally bug free however a few mates dont like it and switched to IOS reporting nothing but issues. It happens i guess.
I do believe most of the issues resonating in this thread are more geared towards the first editions.
I was hesitant before buying the Vline V2 as its not cheap but personally (cant speak for all) i have no regrets. Minimal issues if that. It does what its advertised to do and makes my daily rides much more enjoyable.
I also hesitate with each software update as i have read some have issues afterwards but for me, never had an issue on an upgrade (maybe im lucky), im also sure that many with a Vline are not on this thread.
Unfortuanately many who have this bug free dont write about it or share their experiences, they just continue using it but those with issues will understandably be more vocal.
Of the couple of times i had minor issues, i reached out to Grom and they responded pretty quick etc so i was fine with this.
Anyways hoping the Vline continues to improve, have more features and more get on board so the price drops even more for future buyers.
Ps Did consider Beatsonic but didnt want an aftermarket look or double screen so i do enjoy the OEM look it has. Anyone getting in my car have no idea ive even got it unless i switch modes which i think is cool. i.e. You can still use the factory Satnav etc if you wanted.
This echoes how I feel about the VL1, there were a few issues up front, but GROM actively ironed most of them out right away. The fact I have CarPlay on a 14 year old car without gutting the OEM components is amazing.

GROM has shown they are committed to innovating a desirable, but niche product, and has delivered sufficient support during the growing pains. Any of the minor issues my unit still has are worth the cost of entry IMO. The alternative is tearing apart the factory system or staying with the unintuitive, almost unusable factory infotainment.
Old 01-04-19, 10:33 PM
Sstockss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone grab a video of the reverse camera input switch and the hvac and switch back to the vline input? Only thing holding me back is not knowing how any of the stock function integrate. Thanks!
Old 01-04-19, 11:59 PM
WillAP1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sstockss
Can someone grab a video of the reverse camera input switch and the hvac and switch back to the vline input? Only thing holding me back is not knowing how any of the stock function integrate. Thanks!
I'm assuming you're an ISF owner. I'll take a video if you really want/need it but there isn't much to show. It works pretty much just like stock. When you put the car in reverse it switches to the backup camera automatically. The only slight hiccup (at least with mine) is that after you put the car back in drive or park the vline doesnt return automatically... it goes to the OEM nav screen but then you just have to press the "disc" button and its instantly back to vline. Not a big deal at all but its the only thing that doesn't work fully as expected. If you want to switch to hvac controls you just press the climate button like you normally would and can go back to vline again by pressing the "disc" button. But yeah, to sum it up all the stock functionality works just very similar to stock.
Old 01-05-19, 08:16 AM
Sstockss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WillAP1
I'm assuming you're an ISF owner. I'll take a video if you really want/need it but there isn't much to show. It works pretty much just like stock. When you put the car in reverse it switches to the backup camera automatically. The only slight hiccup (at least with mine) is that after you put the car back in drive or park the vline doesnt return automatically... it goes to the OEM nav screen but then you just have to press the "disc" button and its instantly back to vline. Not a big deal at all but its the only thing that doesn't work fully as expected. If you want to switch to hvac controls you just press the climate button like you normally would and can go back to vline again by pressing the "disc" button. But yeah, to sum it up all the stock functionality works just very similar to stock.
No video necessary, thank you for that explanation. How is boot time on the v2?
Old 01-05-19, 09:08 PM
spikegv
9th Gear

Can someone with a vline 2 and the factory USB option please take me through the process they use to launch the grom. I installed everything and can't seem to get it to work. I have a is-f 2012.
Old 01-07-19, 11:04 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Sstockss
No video necessary, thank you for that explanation. How is boot time on the v2?
We made a small clip on instagram to show the boot time, in general about 12-17 seconds:
View this post on Instagram

Old 01-07-19, 11:32 AM
scommando1
Driver School Candidate

Default Not booting into Vline

Hello,

Why does my system not boot directly into Vline?

I have to always click the USB button a few times before it will display Vline, otherwise I will be on the factory Lexus interface.

I'm on the latest update.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?