IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Please stop me before..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 08:28 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Can we please get back to the topic guys? The thread is about me modding my IS350 and going all out on it, or saving up money to sell and buy an ISF. The question is NOT whether I should get a house or not. Once again.. Keep the 350 and break necks? OR get an ISF and hurt feelings...
The question has been answered numerous times....we can't do anything for you. At the end of the day, you know how much you make, what you can afford, your current bills, etc etc etc. Do what you want, not what we suggest.
And honestly, there has been some EXCELLENT "off topic" advice given to you in this thread....I'd take those pieces of advice rather than someone telling you what to do to your IS350 (in the F forum at that).
Keep working hard, focus on the nice car that you have now, pay it off, ride it til the wheels fall off.... maybe by then you would have saved up enough to buy the 2nd generation IS-F (2020) or LC F!! Don't rush to get yourself in debt (more debt) for something that won't make you any money.

V.
Old 08-31-16, 08:38 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
The question has been answered numerous times....we can't do anything for you. At the end of the day, you know how much you make, what you can afford, your current bills, etc etc etc. Do what you want, not what we suggest.
And honestly, there has been some EXCELLENT "off topic" advice given to you in this thread....I'd take those pieces of advice rather than someone telling you what to do to your IS350 (in the F forum at that).
Keep working hard, focus on the nice car that you have now, pay it off, ride it til the wheels fall off.... maybe by then you would have saved up enough to buy the 2nd generation IS-F (2020) or LC F!! Don't rush to get yourself in debt (more debt) for something that won't make you any money.

V.
Yeah I know but What I meant is to get the people back on topic about the car decision between the F and 350 instead of buying a house. And yeah from what I've been told I've already decided to get the F No more mods on the 350 for me. As a matter of fact I'll probably part it out soon to get the F sooner.

And yes I do appreciate your guys input on buying a house but honestly thats just not for me. At least not yet... I barely turned 22 and in my head that's still pretty freaking young to get a house especially since I'm not in a relationship whatsoever nor do I plan on being one. Being single is too much fun
Old 08-31-16, 08:56 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

F it then. YOLo. Get the F. Make sure u get at least headers, exhaust, tune, wheels, coils. U can skip the intake if u want since not much power if any. Use credit cards, cash, land whale suga mamas if needed to get there
Old 08-31-16, 09:28 PM
ISDAS
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

ditch the 350 and get the ISF (I went from 2011 350/2014 350 to a 2011 ISF) with no regrets.

and 22-23 with an ISF is doing pretty well if you ask me.. then again, they are much more expensive over here lol.
Old 08-31-16, 10:08 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah I know but What I meant is to get the people back on topic about the car decision between the F and 350 instead of buying a house. And yeah from what I've been told I've already decided to get the F No more mods on the 350 for me. As a matter of fact I'll probably part it out soon to get the F sooner.

And yes I do appreciate your guys input on buying a house but honestly thats just not for me. At least not yet... I barely turned 22 and in my head that's still pretty freaking young to get a house especially since I'm not in a relationship whatsoever nor do I plan on being one. Being single is too much fun

Now the only question is, do your feel like you would need a warranty with the F ???

its built like a tank .. but i cashed in ony my exhaust manifold cracking and my water pump on my 2012
Old 08-31-16, 10:20 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gravesg
Now the only question is, do your feel like you would need a warranty with the F ???

its built like a tank .. but i cashed in ony my exhaust manifold cracking and my water pump on my 2012
If I end up getting an 08 or something with high-ish miles (70k and up) then yeah probably. Hell, I might get it regardless honestly just because I'm afraid of the whole water pump and that leak you guys get. But only if the warranty isnt crazy expensive of course. How much does one usually run for?
Old 08-31-16, 10:35 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

If I end up getting an 08 or something with high-ish miles (70k and up) then yeah probably. Hell, I might get it regardless honestly just because I'm afraid of the whole water pump and that leak you guys get. But only if the warranty isnt crazy expensive of course. How much does one usually run for?
i hoped you wouldn't ask smh .. that was the only part of buying this car i hated.

carmax 5yr for our car is 2300$ covers everything but the headlights burning issue

lexus extended 8yr 100K *2500$ i believe was the cheapest at the time .. but as you can imagine .. if it squeaks wrong they cover it.

no clue on what the after market guys are asking.... i had the carmax option because thats where i bought my car from ..
Old 08-31-16, 10:41 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

i hoped you wouldn't ask smh .. that was the only part of buying this car i hated.

carmax 5yr for our car is 2300$ covers everything but the headlights burning issue

lexus extended 8yr 100K *2500$ i believe was the cheapest at the time .. but as you can imagine .. if it squeaks wrong they cover it.

no clue on what the after market guys are asking.... i had the carmax option because thats where i bought my car from ..
I've actually been eyeing a few 08 ISF's Carmax is selling at the moment. I've heard great things about their warranties from Jalopnik and figured that if I ever decided to go back to BMW or something unreliable, Carmax is the way to go due to their warranties lol. But yeah the way I see it, I'll probably buy from them since it's pretty convenient and their warranties seem top notch. $2300 for 5 years ain't bad if you ask me and I for sure would feel better about my purchase with a warranty since I know the ISF has a few problems to look out for (not many but still). We will see though. Maybe I'll end up finding the perfect ISF for me elsewhere and end up getting a warranty through Lexus or third parties.
Old 08-31-16, 11:11 PM
gravesg
Pit Crew

I've actually been eyeing a few 08 ISF's Carmax is selling at the moment. I've heard great things about their warranties from Jalopnik and figured that if I ever decided to go back to BMW or something unreliable, Carmax is the way to go due to their warranties lol. But yeah the way I see it, I'll probably buy from them since it's pretty convenient and their warranties seem top notch. $2300 for 5 years ain't bad if you ask me and I for sure would feel better about my purchase with a warranty since I know the ISF has a few problems to look out for (not many but still). We will see though. Maybe I'll end up finding the perfect ISF for me elsewhere and end up getting a warranty through Lexus or third parties.
i almost bought the carmax warranty but i was within the frame to get it extended by lexus

but yea man, i've been eyeing those 08's .. prices are hard to ignore and their clean.
Old 08-31-16, 11:15 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

i almost bought the carmax warranty but i was within the frame to get it extended by lexus

but yea man, i've been eyeing those 08's .. prices are hard to ignore and their clean.
Oh so you got the Lexus warranty? I thought you needed to buy from Lexus in order to do that? What's the minimum age the ISF can be in order to qualify for the extended warranty?
Old 09-01-16, 04:28 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't refi your house to buy a car...

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
So how do you see this working? You come out of the club with a super hot chick you just met, walk her over to your $75k ISF, and then say, "please don't make a lot of noise when we get back to my place... I don't want to wake my parents up". LOL

I'm all for having nice cars, but at 22 years old you should be focused on getting your own pad, even if its an apartment, before spending a ton of money on high end cars. Just my .02.
Take *****es to the hotel, not your pad. Focus shouldn't be cars or getting a pad, but doing whatever builds savings best. Many college graduates are returning home because their income potential in the current climate is just low and housing is stupid expensive. Many times it makes less sense to throw $1.5-3K/month away on rent than building some kind of substantial savings for a few years. Yeah, maybe you don't get to bring *****es back, but how important is a random biddy vs. your savings and/or a high performance vehicle?

It was an incredibly long explanation of my situation.. But basically. Remind me why I should get an ISF over making my 350 show worthy.
Well...the IS-F will always be faster with a much lower hit to overall drive-ability of the car and without too much of mpg hit. IS-350 has always been a decent car, but it's not anywhere near the level of an IS-F as far as a starting point to do anything with. I don't really see a comparison. You either want a 400hp+ V8 sedan or you want to keep your V6 sedan that's not particularly competitive in any segment. I will always take a faster stock car/trim over a tarted up lower trim. You can blow $10-20K into your IS-350 and never see a dime of that back or you can save up and get an IS-F that's a better starting point for modification (because it doesn't "need" any out of the box, especially to compete with your 350) and also has high value.

Last edited by SubOrbital; 09-01-16 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-01-16, 01:06 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Don't refi your house to buy a car...
Who said anything about refinancing your house to buy a car?
Old 09-02-16, 07:56 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
Who said anything about refinancing your house to buy a car?
OP did, in reference to his brother.
Old 09-02-16, 08:41 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
OP did, in reference to his brother.
In all fairness I don't think I was the first one to mention it either. But since you guys were talking about how buying a house is a good idea because it makes you money later on, I told you about how my brother not that long ago Refinanced his house to buy an LS400 for a daily. I mean their only like $3k for a decent one anyway so that's honestly not saying a lot..
Old 09-02-16, 09:43 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry but refinanceing your house to buy any depreciating asset is just dumb.

Quick Reply: Please stop me before..