IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Standard oil change at dealership, is this acceptable behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 06:40 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there an existing "dealer/shop maintenance rating" list on the forums here? I would be interested in such a list and I think it would be helpful for others seeking peace of mind when paying large sums of money for work to be done. If created, maybe a rating system listing "avoid, no problem, exceptional." Maybe the mods can evaluate any legal consequence of such a list. I understand people leaving reviews on yelp have been subjected to litigation as a result of their reviews.
Old 08-30-16, 07:05 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I understand that it MAY not look bad but the major issue I have here is that he's taking a ride outside the dealership driving double the speed limit and he's exposing the car to the possibility of some idiot merging in front of him causing an accident. If the tech gets in an accident then guess what? The dealership will try and claim it's not their problem because the tech is a "sub-contractor" Had this exact same issue happen to my father where the tech got in a minor fender bender with his car at the dealership and they tried to say they were not liable.
Old 08-30-16, 07:11 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 135 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
For oil change, I would request no test drive.
Yep, and do everything via email for a paper trail. NO WASH / NO TEST DRIVE.
Old 08-30-16, 07:42 AM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no acceptable at all!!!! i should get a dash cam now
Old 08-30-16, 07:42 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont need to take a car out after an oil change. Let it run and thats it.

I dont have a camera so I always take a picture of my mileage.
Old 08-30-16, 07:44 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
You dont need to take a car out after an oil change. Let it run and thats it.

I dont have a camera so I always take a picture of my mileage.
You should get one though, they can still rag on it in less than a mile. You wouldn't even know.
Old 08-30-16, 08:07 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Just noticed that dealership is Lexus of TB. Who was the tech that worked on your car?

PM if you wish as they've worked on my car as well.
Old 08-30-16, 08:16 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

The General Manager of the dealership called me and he said he was totally appalled and said it was unacceptable. He told me they suspended the tech and now it's in the hands of HR. I probably just won't take my car in there for service anymore.

Last edited by Diesel350; 08-30-16 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-30-16, 08:19 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Tech just wanted to take it out for a spin real quick, absolutely no reason to test drive a car for an oil change
Old 08-30-16, 09:49 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Tech just wanted to take it out for a spin real quick, absolutely no reason to test drive a car for an oil change
Very true indeed.

Originally Posted by Helo58
Is there an existing "dealer/shop maintenance rating" list on the forums here? I would be interested in such a list and I think it would be helpful for others seeking peace of mind when paying large sums of money for work to be done. If created, maybe a rating system listing "avoid, no problem, exceptional." Maybe the mods can evaluate any legal consequence of such a list. I understand people leaving reviews on yelp have been subjected to litigation as a result of their reviews.
The thing is, sometimes you can't let one bad apple ruin the bunch. Just because 1 tech does this doesn't mean they all do or doesn't mean you get bad service continuously.
And OP, they have suspended the guy.... problem solved so far! They'll probably compensate you as well. That should be MORE iof a reason to go back to this dealership...not understanding why you say you wouldn't go back again?!?! What if your next closest dealership is 2-3 hrs away....and this one is down the street?! Put yourself at an inconvenience because of 1 bad apple (the bad apple that they've disciplined and that you're about to be compensated for)??!? If you have other closer options, I get it and understand. But going to the next dealership still doesn't 100% guarantee something of this sort won't happen again. Staying where you are will probably guarantee this won't happen again....all other employees see what happened to their coworker for his actions. Just my 2cent.

V.
Old 08-30-16, 10:01 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Very true indeed.

The thing is, sometimes you can't let one bad apple ruin the bunch. Just because 1 tech does this doesn't mean they all do or doesn't mean you get bad service continuously.
And OP, they have suspended the guy.... problem solved so far! They'll probably compensate you as well. That should be MORE iof a reason to go back to this dealership...not understanding why you say you wouldn't go back again?!?! What if your next closest dealership is 2-3 hrs away....and this one is down the street?! Put yourself at an inconvenience because of 1 bad apple (the bad apple that they've disciplined and that you're about to be compensated for)??!? If you have other closer options, I get it and understand. But going to the next dealership still doesn't 100% guarantee something of this sort won't happen again. Staying where you are will probably guarantee this won't happen again....all other employees see what happened to their coworker for his actions. Just my 2cent.

V.
Eh I could care less about the compensation, I have several options close to me. I just like going there because I liked checking out all the new models everytime I went in. At least the Lexus dealership has an instructional video on the way not to handle customer vehicles.
Old 08-30-16, 12:14 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Very true indeed.

V.
I agree with this entirely, however Ive been to TB Lexus as well and they did very sloppy work on my F as well and took no responsibility for it. I would not go back to them ever if I was still in FL. Lexus of Orlando however cleaned up TBs mess, did it right and did this at no charge to me at all even though they didn't cause any of the problem(on a 95k mile car that was out of warranty no less)
Old 08-30-16, 07:21 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I miss my Lexus Service place back in California, the owner was really cool and loved working on ISF's and LFA's.

Find another place and explain them why you left the Dealership.
Old 08-31-16, 02:58 PM
NSXGuy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I miss my Lexus Service place back in California, the owner was really cool and loved working on ISF's and LFA's.

Find another place and explain them why you left the Dealership.
Where did you go in California?
Old 08-31-16, 04:51 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXGuy
Where did you go in California?
Lexura in Dublin, CA (Bay Area)

Quick Reply: Standard oil change at dealership, is this acceptable behavior?