IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Bilstein B6 Monotube Shocks for ISF

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 12:22 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bilstein B6 Monotube Shocks for ISF

Has anyone tried the Bilstein B6 shocks on 08-11 ISF (or any year for that matter)? http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mmid=204632 (VIP Auto Salon sells them for $1,489, but you can get them for $700 delivered from AutoAnything)

I can only find 1 thread about Bilsteins for the ISF and it's from way back in 2009, probably before people started replacing their worn out OEM shocks. Mine are now worn and I'm looking at the different replacement options, and I've always been really happy with Bilstein shocks. I have the HD version on my Denali right now and love the ride quality. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has tried them on an ISF, and if so get some feedback on them.
Old 05-26-16, 12:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on this buddy. I am have been hoping some replacement shock options would arise. My car only has 51k but I wouldnt mind to upgrade in the future. I want coil overs but I hate all the time needed to adjust only to find that the car still has handling issues that were induced by all the mods to spring and damping rates. I want to keep it simple.
Old 05-26-16, 02:02 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

I have read some good reviews from them on other forums (such as M3forum.net), and the comments have mentioned that they retain excellent daily driver ride quality while still feeling sporty and firm but not harsh. Sounds just like what I'm after!

JM Auto Racing sells them and they're a sponsor on here, maybe they can offer some feedback?

I read in the FAQ's on Bilstein's website that the B6 HD shocks can be lowered up to 30mm with lowering springs, so they could safely be used with either Swift or Eibach springs - both of which give less than a 30mm drop.
Old 05-26-16, 09:52 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for bringing this back up. I'm also in need of some new shocks so hopefully we can get some feedback 👍
Old 05-27-16, 06:37 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

If I recall it's the B8 shocks that are actually designed for lowering springs, as in they are shorter on purpose to comp for the reduced travel you would experience on a stock length.

B6 are just bilsteins OEM replacements with what I assume might be a little better valving and likely to withstand a lowering spring better. But I am pretty sure the B8 is what you would likely want more oriented to performance, with the added benefit of being better dampened for a higher spring rate.
Old 05-27-16, 11:04 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FFM
If I recall it's the B8 shocks that are actually designed for lowering springs, as in they are shorter on purpose to comp for the reduced travel you would experience on a stock length.

B6 are just bilsteins OEM replacements with what I assume might be a little better valving and likely to withstand a lowering spring better. But I am pretty sure the B8 is what you would likely want more oriented to performance, with the added benefit of being better dampened for a higher spring rate.
They don't make a B8 shock for the ISF, but the B6 is the same shock with the exact same valving as the B8 - it just has more travel. Other than that they're identical. And they say the B6 can be dropped up to 30mm (1.18") without issues, which is more than any spring kit will drop it. But the ride quality with either is apparently the same from what I've read on several other forums.
Old 05-27-16, 11:06 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

I still can't believe that these shocks have been out for 7 years and there is not one single person on this forum who has tried them. That's just crazy. It's not like they are some generic no-name, Bilstein is one of the top brands in aftermarket shocks! Maybe I'll have to be the guinea pig.
Old 05-27-16, 11:22 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I have my heart set for KW coilovers when is time to replace my shox, but I had some good experience with Bilsteins in the past. My main objective is the improvement in ride quality as I have 2010MY. I am standing by for any feedback from anyone with early model ISF. Bilsteins are known to improve ride quality in most applications, fingers crossed :-)
Old 05-27-16, 11:40 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

I think I may pull the trigger on these, I found them at a place for just $550 delivered for all four! The price is only good through 5/31 (everything on the entire site is 15% off + an additional 5% on Bilstein products). I'll try them with the OEM springs first to see how the ride is, and I may end up lowering it (still haven't decided on that). For $550 they seem like a great high-performance option for replacing the OEM shocks at 1/2 the price of an entry-level set of coilovers.

Last edited by jleonard71; 05-27-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-27-16, 11:43 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^And where is that "place"

Lou
Old 05-27-16, 11:59 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^And where is that "place"

Lou
I didn't know if I was allowed to post a link or not since they're not a CL sponsor? If you do a search for the P/N in Google Shopping it'll come up at the top of the list when sorted from lowest to highest price, and then if you use the coupon code 5off4 you save an extra $29.04, making the grand total just $551.82 delivered.
Old 05-27-16, 12:06 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Ah screw it, I might as well get the Eibach Pro kit at the same time - I found a set of those for $250 delivered. So I'll be at $700 total and have new shocks and lower it a bit at the same time. Those are the springs which are included with Bilsteins B12 kit that they make for many other cars (the kit includes B8 shocks + Eibach Pro springs), so they should play well together. And they only lower the car by 0.7" (17.8mm) in front and 0.3" (7.6mm) in back which is well below the 30mm limit for the B6 shocks.
Old 05-27-16, 12:39 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I think I may pull the trigger on these, I found them at a place for just $550 delivered for all four! The price is only good through 5/31 (everything on the entire site is 15% off + an additional 5% on Bilstein products). I'll try them with the OEM springs first to see how the ride is, and I may end up lowering it (still haven't decided on that). For $550 they seem like a great high-performance option for replacing the OEM shocks at 1/2 the price of an entry-level set of coilovers.
Can you please PM me the link?

I'm waiting to save up for a set of BC Coilovers but I have always worried about the collars seizing during winter usages.
Old 05-27-16, 12:45 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

How many miles you have on your car jleonard?
Old 05-27-16, 12:56 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kzlflash
How many miles you have on your car jleonard?
I have 78K

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Can you please PM me the link?
I have received several PM's asking for the seller, so I'll just post it here and if the mods don't like it they can take it down. http://www.ajusa.com/2008-Lexus-IS-F...64b6q67a9.html Make sure to use the coupon code 5off4 to save an additional $29.04 on the set.

Quick Reply: Bilstein B6 Monotube Shocks for ISF