IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

who has had coolant leak around valley plate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 05:33 AM
rwigs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I'm the next victim of this leak. I took my 2010 in yesterday because I saw coolant on the transmission housing when I was underneath it to change the oil. They called and said it was the valley plate leaking. I am out of warranty because of years, but it only has 65,000 miles on it. I think I will do like some others on here and make some calls/complaints. Maybe because this is so common it should be a recall and because it is under the mileage of the warranty they might cut me a break... fingers crossed...
Old 01-26-18, 10:16 AM
rwigs
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE - just for information for others. I was quoted $1586 to have this fixed. That included the $149 that was to diagnose the problem.

I called and talked to the SA. I told him that I have found out (from this group) that this happens to pretty much all of the ISFs and the fact that I am barely out of the 72 months and still under the 70k miles is frustrating. I asked him to see if he can talk to their Lexus rep or something to see if they can do something to help with this situation. He called me back shortly later and said that the service manager agreed to cover 50% of the cost of this repair. So I am now getting it done for under $800. I was considering taking it to a non-dealer shop, but to have it done at the dealer, get the loaner, etc... for $800? Not bad. I can handle that.

My Lexus dealer seems to always come through with taking care of me like this. Just goes to show it never hurts to ask!
Old 01-26-18, 10:22 AM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rwigs
UPDATE - just for information for others. I was quoted $1586 to have this fixed. That included the $149 that was to diagnose the problem.

I called and talked to the SA. I told him that I have found out (from this group) that this happens to pretty much all of the ISFs and the fact that I am barely out of the 72 months and still under the 70k miles is frustrating. I asked him to see if he can talk to their Lexus rep or something to see if they can do something to help with this situation. He called me back shortly later and said that the service manager agreed to cover 50% of the cost of this repair. So I am now getting it done for under $800. I was considering taking it to a non-dealer shop, but to have it done at the dealer, get the loaner, etc... for $800? Not bad. I can handle that.

My Lexus dealer seems to always come through with taking care of me like this. Just goes to show it never hurts to ask!

Absolutely! In my experience goodwill credits are based on dealer "paying for service" from the dealer and brand loyalty from Lexus Corp and everyone is going to have a different situation, but ALWAYS ask!!
Old 01-26-18, 08:23 PM
Fondue
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Final update for me hopefully. I apparently have the best Lexus SA/dealer here in Texas. My guy went to bat for me and it looks like I'm not going to pay anything out of pocket. I have a 2009 with about 85,000 miles. Granted I have gotten all my services done at the same dealership including out of warranty repairs and have had all my oil changes done there (I supply oil and filter). This is my first Lexus but have owned 5 Toyotas previously. I think that must come into play. I had been in a loaner for a couple weeks and when I called to see if they had heard back from corporate he had me come in to pick up my car because they had already done the repair. I didn't "authorize" them to do the repair yet without hearing back from his representative but he told me they wouldn't have done it if he wasn't confident in them covering the total cost. That was over 2 weeks ago and my coolant level has stayed at full where as before it would always be at the low mark. The heater works again as well, thank god.
Old 01-27-18, 11:10 AM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by Fondue
Final update for me hopefully. I apparently have the best Lexus SA/dealer here in Texas. My guy went to bat for me and it looks like I'm not going to pay anything out of pocket. I have a 2009 with about 85,000 miles. Granted I have gotten all my services done at the same dealership including out of warranty repairs and have had all my oil changes done there (I supply oil and filter). This is my first Lexus but have owned 5 Toyotas previously. I think that must come into play. I had been in a loaner for a couple weeks and when I called to see if they had heard back from corporate he had me come in to pick up my car because they had already done the repair. I didn't "authorize" them to do the repair yet without hearing back from his representative but he told me they wouldn't have done it if he wasn't confident in them covering the total cost. That was over 2 weeks ago and my coolant level has stayed at full where as before it would always be at the low mark. The heater works again as well, thank god.
You had double brownie points in your corner on this one. All service being done at the dealer you took it to is HUGE plus 5 cars under your belt was a home run to have it 100% goodwilled....
Old 02-09-18, 08:01 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Ok, a little background..
I went to Lexus late last year because I was loosing coolant level and read this thread and thought I had the valley plate leak also. After they check on my car they say they found a small leak on my water pump and was replaced under warranty. But a short time after, I noticed the coolant level dropped again and I refilled a few times. I even came here and ask how do you check the coolant level. (while car is off, hot, etc.)

So, now to this week...
I took the car in for check that level loss and they didn't found anything leaking. They claim there is no leak because the car passed an overnight pressure test. So they replaced the radiator cap because they think maybe the cap wasn't sealing properly and was causing the coolant to evaporate.

Now, pros from ClubLexus... Is this possible?
Old 02-09-18, 08:14 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kbtoiz
I went to Lexus late last year because I was loosing coolant level and read this thread and thought I had the valley plate leak also. After they check on my car they say they found a small leak on my water pump and was replaced under warranty. But a short time after, I noticed the coolant level dropped again and I refilled a few times. I even came here and ask how do you check the coolant level. (while car is off, hot, etc.)

So, now to this week...
I took the car in for check that level loss and they didn't found anything leaking. They claim there is no leak because the car passed an overnight pressure test. So they replaced the radiator cap because they think maybe the cap wasn't sealing properly and was causing the coolant to evaporate.

If that's the case, you would see white smokes coming out of your hood when the car is hot.
Old 02-09-18, 05:02 PM
smt6
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kbtoiz

So, now to this week...

I know its not funny, but this made me laugh
Old 03-02-18, 03:13 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A local Lexus service center quoted $2,600-ish to repair the valley plate leak on my MY2010 ISF w/ 71.5k on the odo.

Lexus corporate offered to discount the repair to $2,016 + tax.

I almost feel disrespected by Lexus.
Old 03-02-18, 03:16 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
A local Lexus service center quoted $2,600-ish to repair the valley plate leak on my MY2010 ISF w/ 71.5k on the odo.

That is outrageous man.... The repair should be much closer to $1500 before Corp Lexus gives you any goodwill credit

Go to a different dealer or a trustworthy mechanic!
Old 03-02-18, 03:22 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this really that hard of a repair that we cant fix it ourselves?
Old 03-02-18, 03:49 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by sc3dreamin
Is this really that hard of a repair that we cant fix it ourselves?
If you are skilled enough to remove the top of your engine... sure!
Old 03-02-18, 04:06 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kjer
If you are skilled enough to remove the top of your engine... sure!
You're referring to that plastic cover, right? If so, I'm totally qualified!

-Mike
Old 03-02-18, 04:08 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Originally Posted by mikersoft
You're referring to that plastic cover, right? If so, I'm totally qualified!

-Mike
lol yeah man, just pop it off and get a tube of liquid nails and go to town
Old 03-02-18, 04:11 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna

Find a different dealership! My repair was $1,300 - $500 good will credit from Lexus = $800ish out of pocket

The credit seems on par with what Lexus was giving some people, so it's more the dealership is overcharging you or it's the California tax you guys pay out there for the sunny weather

Quick Reply: who has had coolant leak around valley plate?