IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Did a bit of data logging, tire review

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 04:57 PM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Did a bit of data logging, tire review

I finally got the chance to do some 0-100 pulls today in rural northern GA after getting my ecu back and wanted to provide some feedback on the Yokohama AD08R that I was convinced into by I8ABMR.

These tires are STICKY! On the first pull the back end got a little sloppy after going from 1st to 2nd, but after that, they stuck to the asphalt like glue. Granted it was almost 80 here today, and I know that helped, but i know when I had PSS and AS3 on going WOT from 0 caused a helluva lot more spin with trac completely turned off.

I'll be putting them through the paces at AMP early April and will add some more feedback on Tammer's already stellar review of them.
Old 03-10-16, 05:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Very cool buddy !! I noticed the same thing. They actually need to warm up, although they warm up fast. The first corner of the first lap I went out with them on I threw the rear out and was like WTF!! These are 295's!! But as I went down the straight we warmed up with some weaving and I could not get them to break loose after. The craziest thing for me was being able to floor the car while making a turn ( not 90 degree) from a stand still and they stick. No TCS light and no wheels spin. It really made the car feel balanced .

The main thing I noticed too is that they do not like oem pressure of 36 psi cold. I would bring them down to 33 or even 32 cold. The tire is so square and the sidewall is so firm that it can take it and prefers it. The SCCA Viper guys and PCA all recommend lower pressures for max grip and they were right .

Glad you tried them and I have to say I felt awful that I told you to use those Michelins at that recent event and they came apart at the sidewall. Sorry buddy. I never expected that. The AD08R will get noisy after 50% wear but with the exhaust its no big deal. The yoko is more consistent as it ages . They will stick down to the indicator

Chuckwalla next week ,AMP the weekend after, and WHP main track 2 weeks after that. 3 track days coming up in the next 4 weeks. Super excited !!
Old 03-10-16, 07:10 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks guys.. This is good info. I'm sticking (no pun intended) with the Michelin PSS this year since my 255/35 front tires are still fairly new, but the rears are pretty much done (not to mention, one is plugged from a humongous screw I "lucked" into). I just picked up my new 275/30 rears, which should improve on the old 265s. With that said, I'll likely need to replace all four before any track time in 2017, so I'll definitely consider the Yokos.

-Mike

Old 03-10-16, 10:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am going to try the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 on the next round. Expensive but I do find that with tires you ABSOLUTELY get what you pay for. My concern is the Michelin girth. They are wider than the AD08R fit. If it rubs I will be going back to the Yokos. They are perfect, I just would like to see if I can ditch the noise.
Old 03-11-16, 12:12 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am going to try the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 on the next round. Expensive but I do find that with tires you ABSOLUTELY get what you pay for. My concern is the Michelin girth. They are wider than the AD08R fit. If it rubs I will be going back to the Yokos. They are perfect, I just would like to see if I can ditch the noise.
I'm actually considering that tire as my summer street tire. Let us know if you do get them. I am very curious on how they perform compare to the yoko ad08r.
Old 03-11-16, 05:24 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey, does anyone have any thoughts on the effect that heavier tires have on acceleration? I just purchased a set of Bridgestone S-04s yesterday due to inner tire wear on the fronts (also just got USRS from RR) and like them but I noticed on the Tire Rack website the the Michelin PSS is one of the lightest tires. They are 4-5 pounds per tire lighter than the S-04s and 3-4 lighter than the AD08Rs. I am not concerned with the 20lbs that they add to the car, but rather the increased torque required to rotate them. Some forums have stated a 1:6 ratio of effect, meaning that as far as acceleration is concerned adding one pound to the tire/wheel is like adding 6 to the car. So if my tires are 20lb total heavier, it is like adding 120lb to the car. Does anyone have experience with lap times, drag strip times, etc.?
Old 03-11-16, 07:51 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Interesting I didn't know the PSS are one of the lightest or the lightest tire is it's size class?? Maybe one of the reasons among many that they are always sold out in certain sizes anyway.
Old 03-11-16, 07:56 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't recommend the PS2 for street tires, mine lasted 6,000miles, I guess the good news is Michelin is giving me warranty on them. The fronts are still like new but the rears are bald
Old 03-11-16, 09:28 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by idoke1
I'm actually considering that tire as my summer street tire. Let us know if you do get them. I am very curious on how they perform compare to the yoko ad08r.
Will do. I will do a full review of them later. I just a fresh set of rears so they will be gone in maybe 5k miles. Harsh but true

Originally Posted by Helo58
Hey, does anyone have any thoughts on the effect that heavier tires have on acceleration? I just purchased a set of Bridgestone S-04s yesterday due to inner tire wear on the fronts (also just got USRS from RR) and like them but I noticed on the Tire Rack website the the Michelin PSS is one of the lightest tires. They are 4-5 pounds per tire lighter than the S-04s and 3-4 lighter than the AD08Rs. I am not concerned with the 20lbs that they add to the car, but rather the increased torque required to rotate them. Some forums have stated a 1:6 ratio of effect, meaning that as far as acceleration is concerned adding one pound to the tire/wheel is like adding 6 to the car. So if my tires are 20lb total heavier, it is like adding 120lb to the car. Does anyone have experience with lap times, drag strip times, etc.?
Id only stress it if you were drag racing. You might feel something but it will be so minor it wont an impact. Ideally lighter is always better because unsprung mass affect everything but no biggie. In the end you do get what you pay for . The S04 is not bad but they are not tires I would use on the track.
Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Interesting I didn't know the PSS are one of the lightest or the lightest tire is it's size class?? Maybe one of the reasons among many that they are always sold out in certain sizes anyway.
It's a pretty ****ty business model . They are so annoying. They make an amazing tire THEN constantly run out of sizes. I have run into this twice with them and is one of the reasons I left the PSS . They dont last, they dont maintain grip levels as you use them , and they act like they are doing us a favor to stock them. These guys will have expected dates like 4 months out. Whoever is their auditor for production is screwing up

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I wouldn't recommend the PS2 for street tires, mine lasted 6,000miles, I guess the good news is Michelin is giving me warranty on them. The fronts are still like new but the rears are bald
I barley got 7k on my PSS in the rear. I see the same where we basically go through rears twice as fast as the front . Rears are bald and the front literally look new.
Old 03-11-16, 11:53 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know.

I've got Kumho PS91's and been pleased with them thus far.