IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tips and/or Tricks for Jacking Up your Lowered F with Side Splitters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 02:19 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Tips and/or Tricks for Jacking Up your Lowered F with Side Splitters?

This is not another one of those "where do I jack up my car and place the jackstands" thread.

I recently lowered my car and installed some CF side skirts, but when I went to go do an oil change, my floor jack barely fit under the car, and when I started jacking it up, it started applying pressure to my CF sideskirt. I was cringing as I was watching it flex, hoping it wouldn't cause the clear coat to "web".

I ended up finding a couple blocks of wood, and drove up on them to get the car an extra inch higher off the ground, but my CF side skirt was still meeting my floor jack. Those of you who are lowered with side splitters/skirts, whats your method of jacking up your car? Build yourself a set of steps or blocks of wood to drive on before jacking up the car? Use an extra thick hockey puck or something on your jack?

BTW, my jacking locations are flattened from over the years of jacking up the car. :/
Old 02-29-16, 02:28 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Although I do not have side splitters, I do have a low profile jack that gets easily under most lowered cars. Or you can jack the rear from the differential.

Something like this.

Amazon.com: Advanced Tool Design Model  ATD-7325  2 Ton Extra Low Profile Tuner Jack: Automotive Amazon.com: Advanced Tool Design Model ATD-7325 2 Ton Extra Low Profile Tuner Jack: Automotive
Old 02-29-16, 02:29 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

it's equally difficult getting the car up on the lift when youre low as well. I have some low profile race ramps I drive up on the front then I can jack up the car from the diff. should be able to reach the center jacking point from the front with the ramps. cusco makes some 2 piece ramps that are nice as well so you can disconnect it and not lose your side jacking point
Old 02-29-16, 02:31 PM
kings222
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a couple pieces of wood about the width of your tires and than cut them so they are staggered than nail/screw them in place with a hammer or a drill. Drive your car up and itll have a good amount of space to jack up your car!

that's how I do it.
Old 02-29-16, 02:31 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Right now I'm using the janky block of wood method. If you use ~2 inchs of wood, it should give you enough clearance to to avoid your splitters.
Old 02-29-16, 02:40 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Originally Posted by liquidtek
it's equally difficult getting the car up on the lift when youre low as well. I have some low profile race ramps I drive up on the front then I can jack up the car from the diff. should be able to reach the center jacking point from the front with the ramps. cusco makes some 2 piece ramps that are nice as well so you can disconnect it and not lose your side jacking point
Those Tomioka ramps are pretty nice, compact and light weight. I might have to look into those or some race ramps.

Or I can just make some out of wood like some of you have suggested. Might also look into purchasing a taller slotted rubber jack pad like this one:

Old 02-29-16, 02:47 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

These cusco ones look legit

Old 02-29-16, 03:16 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Yeah if I didn't have the ones I currently have I'd get some cuscos. Trying to convince my buddy to get some for the shop so I dont have to tote my ramps over there when I work on my car on the lift lol. Really I think he needs one of these http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...w=&range_high=

Last edited by liquidtek; 02-29-16 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 03:37 PM
lolfunxion
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet Jesus those TE37s are dope liquidtek!!!

Damn I need those Cusco ramps too. And at under $100 that's super reasonable, may need to invest in a set!
Old 02-29-16, 03:47 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to get those cusco ramps. I like being able to disconnect the angled half of it for the jack, sometimes the wood gets in the way if its too long. I've been using the figs jack jaw and a few blocks of wood. Has given me enough clearance except for last week when i got a flat.
Old 02-29-16, 03:56 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Like those Cuscos with the removable section. Imagine they're pricey tho.

I have trouble with the front jacking point w/stock wheels, tires & ride height as my jack isn't low profile. I use scissor jacks on each side, which is a real hassle.
Old 02-29-16, 04:20 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Here are the budget ramps I made for getting a jack under the car. I sprayed the bottoms with plasti-dip to keep them from slipping on my garage floor. I use the hooks to hang 'em on the wall for storage. Though, they might get in the way if you need to lift from the side jack points.

-Mike

Old 03-01-16, 04:36 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a similar jack to this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-60678.html

I drive up on wooden blocks on the front wheels and this jack reaches to the jack point by the engine.
Do not know what else I would do without this jack!

Fuzzy picture - but its jack in the front of the vehicle.
Ignore the ramps that do not work - I just use triple redundancy when I work under the car - too many horror stories.

Old 03-02-16, 06:29 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by clarionguy
I got a similar jack to this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-60678.html

I drive up on wooden blocks on the front wheels and this jack reaches to the jack point by the engine.
Do not know what else I would do without this jack!

Fuzzy picture - but its jack in the front of the vehicle.
Ignore the ramps that do not work - I just use triple redundancy when I work under the car - too many horror stories.

You go that car up really high, I def would be putting the ramps under the tires like you for safety.
Old 03-02-16, 03:44 PM
foxprime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use a couple of 2x4 pieces of wood. I like mikersoft's idea on a budget ramp!

Quick Reply: Tips and/or Tricks for Jacking Up your Lowered F with Side Splitters?