IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Canadian ISF's

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 05:43 PM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian ISF's

I know a few memebers here have sold cars from Canada in the know that they would meet US regulations. I am all for it. But how much differnece can they be? I talked to a a Toyota service adviser and said people that have Canadien model Toyota's it can cause a lot of headaches come repair time of something breaks. He did say that the parts are not always the same. Anybody have any take on this??
Old 02-13-16, 09:26 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are exactly the same aside from wheels on 08/09 models Canadian cars had the same wheels as Neiman Marcus edition.

The dealers don't like the cross broader shopping either way. When our dollar was better lots of people from Canada were going to the US to buy cars and the Canadian dealers tried making excuses not wanting to service or warranty US cars.

Last edited by Sylvan; 02-13-16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 09:29 PM
RCFC89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmartin061
I know a few memebers here have sold cars from Canada in the know that they would meet US regulations. I am all for it. But how much differnece can they be? I talked to a a Toyota service adviser and said people that have Canadien model Toyota's it can cause a lot of headaches come repair time of something breaks. He did say that the parts are not always the same. Anybody have any take on this??
I looked into buying one not too long ago. The currency exchange makes it very tempting but In the end it didn't seem worth it. First is the wheels. I'm not a fan. 2nd is getting the gauge cluster switched out and have the odometer calibrated to match. Can be expensive and a headache later on for potential buyers. 3rd is the likelihood of rust. Just like east coast cars the value is diminished because of this. Lastly is it will always be a Canadian car. No matter what you do to change it. For whatever reason these cars are usually worth between 20-25% less when it comes to resale in America vs a U.S. Spec ISF.
Old 02-13-16, 10:54 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by RCFC89
I looked into buying one not too long ago. The currency exchange makes it very tempting but In the end it didn't seem worth it. First is the wheels. I'm not a fan. 2nd is getting the gauge cluster switched out and have the odometer calibrated to match. Can be expensive and a headache later on for potential buyers. 3rd is the likelihood of rust. Just like east coast cars the value is diminished because of this. Lastly is it will always be a Canadian car. No matter what you do to change it. For whatever reason these cars are usually worth between 20-25% less when it comes to resale in America vs a U.S. Spec ISF.
Now that is hugely interesting. I did not know the value is diminished. And I on the other hand like the wheels lol. The rust aspect i have a hard time swallowing though sometimes. My mom had a 94 Celica before the motor blew up from not changing the timing belt and it was show room perfect at 14 years old. I mean minus the fact a good buff was in order. But as long as the paint doesnt chip and the car was properly painted from the factory one should be good. I have noticed in the past it can rust around the welds and such where paint may not have coated it. Common in older cars when things weren't as tight fitting as nowadays. Just my opinion though. My 2001 IS300 has no rust except where I had body work done.

Last edited by mmartin061; 02-14-16 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Spellin
Old 02-13-16, 11:01 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you get a 2011+ you won't have to change the gauge cluster. They have the digital speedometer and you can toggle between miles/kms. You can also change est range, kms/tank, etc all into miles.
Old 02-13-16, 11:04 PM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by j3ff
If you get a 2011+ you won't have to change the gauge cluster. They have the digital speedometer and you can toggle between miles/kms. You can also change est range, kms/tank, etc all into miles.
But as in my situation my "hope" is thay i have this car to where it wont be worth much if i sell it. You can legitimately save 5-6 grand buying from up north.
Old 02-13-16, 11:08 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmartin061
But as in my situation my "hope" is thay i have this car to where it wont be worth much if i sell it. You can legitimately save 5-6 grand buying from up north.
Well if you plan on keeping it forever then resale shouldn't be an issue. As far as parts go, they're exactly the same. All of it. Minus certain year wheels as mentioned above.
Old 02-14-16, 03:09 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by j3ff
Well if you plan on keeping it forever then resale shouldn't be an issue. As far as parts go, they're exactly the same. All of it. Minus certain year wheels as mentioned above.
Very good. Thanks for the knowledge
Old 02-14-16, 05:29 AM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I can also confirm that all the parts are the same. I actually order all of my parts from the US because, even with the exchange rate, they're often less expensive. In terms of the rust, it may take more time, but you can probably find an IS-F that hasn't been winter driven. I don't drive mine in the winter.
-R
Old 02-14-16, 05:34 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
I can also confirm that all the parts are the same. I actually order all of my parts from the US because, even with the exchange rate, they're often less expensive. In terms of the rust, it may take more time, but you can probably find an IS-F that hasn't been winter driven. I don't drive mine in the winter.
-R
I appreciate the piece of mind. Im not sure how many hurdles you have to go trough to get one here but i know there is a %2.5 tax rate and a letter as a previous seller stated to get it to the states from lexus I believe about emissions or something and then paperwork that needs to be filled out during customs. But not sure what is exactly needed to cross over. But the cluster in KMs can change over to miles or like previous poster said yu have to switch that also. I just want to get all ducks in a row before buying. Because as we all know what can go wrong will go wrong lol
Old 02-14-16, 05:40 AM
mmartin061
banned

Originally Posted by FNSSESPORT
-R
But yours isn't for sale either
Old 02-14-16, 08:56 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Not sure which part of the US you're in.. but here on the west coast of Canada, we rarely see any snow during our winters; at least not in Vancouver.
Old 02-14-16, 09:58 AM
Rebel22
Driver School Candidate

2010 and lower ( I think that is the non-digital speedo years) will not display the stability control and traction control lights on the dash. Both functions still work, but you will have no indication that it is on/off. There is a slight difference in the wiring of the U.S. vs. Canadian instrument cluster. The other difference is the climate control will always read celsius too.
Old 02-14-16, 10:17 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel22
2010 and lower ( I think that is the non-digital speedo years) will not display the stability control and traction control lights on the dash. Both functions still work, but you will have no indication that it is on/off. There is a slight difference in the wiring of the U.S. vs. Canadian instrument cluster. The other difference is the climate control will always read celsius too.
Not sure what you mean about the Stability and Trac lights in the dash....I'm pretty sure my Canadian ISF works the same as the USA ones in that respect.. VSC and "car skidding" lights... hold button 5 sec for VSC and trac OFF lights stay lit, indicating the systems are turned off... car skidding light flashes when wheel spin. etc etc.

However, I do know for a fact, the little symbols for Headlights in the gauge cluster are different for US spec cars then Canadian spec cars (check your owners manual)
Old 02-14-16, 10:25 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are small differences in the ECU - one example is the DRL cannot be disabled

Quick Reply: Canadian ISF's