IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Welding high flow cats to stock headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 06:33 AM
sonicblu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Can you please post up a link or a pic of a dyno run of someone with an aftermarket exhaust (Joe-Z/Borla/ISS etc....) with gutted primaries that is putting out the same numbers as PPE/Sikky headers gains???

Just curious, because I have never seen one posted here on CL of a dyno run with gutted primaries/aftermarket exhaust only......

Thx
Check this out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-d-the-f.html
Old 01-22-16, 08:10 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^Thanks for that link, after reading it I remember reading it last year sometime. That's awesome that you were able to hit 400WHP with a custom exhaust and gutted primaries!

I still can't figure out why the ISF has such huge variances in dyno runs with similar mods?? Example: Rafi in the RR-Racing tune thread he hit 350ish WHP with basically the same set-up as yours (Aftermarket Exhaust & Gutted Primaries)? The numbers should've been more close to what yours were IMO.........
Old 01-22-16, 03:49 PM
giblet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
^^^^^Thanks for that link, after reading it I remember reading it last year sometime. That's awesome that you were able to hit 400WHP with a custom exhaust and gutted primaries!

I still can't figure out why the ISF has such huge variances in dyno runs with similar mods?? Example: Rafi in the RR-Racing tune thread he hit 350ish WHP with basically the same set-up as yours (Aftermarket Exhaust & Gutted Primaries)? The numbers should've been more close to what yours were IMO.........
I guess the gear used plays a big part. It seems 6th gear gives you better numbers but 4th is more indicative of real life conditions. At least that's what I gather after reading Rafi's recent post on the tune thread.
Old 01-22-16, 04:40 PM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I have not seen that proven anywhere The exhaust manifold design on the ISF is terrible IMO.

Lou
See sonicblu post to his link.

I am guessing you are going by "what looks" pretty, and that concludes to a good flow design. How would you know the OEM exhaust manifold design is terrible and flawed? Do you have flow charts to back your claim up? While I do believe the PPE/Sikky headers do flow better, I wouldn't go so far to say the OEM design(as ugly as it is) is completely terrible in function. I believe there is one member here who claims his gutted ISF kept up with other ISFs with aftermarket headers. So yah, I wouldn't say OEM is terrible in design...it is the added cats that choke off the power. I have seen some ugly manifolds that perform better than custom made equal length ceramic coated headers. An even uglier example would be the log style manifolds for turbo engines, they look even ****tier than OEM...but they have less lag, spool faster, and give more torque than nice sounding tubular manifolds. Again, just because it doesn't look pretty or look like it flows well, doesn't exact mean the design/function sucks and robs your engine of power.
Attached Thumbnails Welding high flow cats to stock headers-log_manifold_fsr.jpg  

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 01-22-16 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 06:07 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR

I am guessing you are going by "what looks" pretty, and that concludes to a good flow design. How would you know the OEM exhaust manifold design is terrible and flawed? Do you have flow charts to back your claim up? While I do believe the PPE/Sikky headers do flow better, I wouldn't go so far to say the OEM design(as ugly as it is) is completely terrible in function. I believe there is one member here who claims his gutted ISF kept up with other ISFs with aftermarket headers. So yah, I wouldn't say OEM is terrible in design...it is the added cats that choke off the power. I have seen some ugly manifolds that perform better than custom made equal length ceramic coated headers. An even uglier example would be the log style manifolds for turbo engines, they look even ****tier than OEM...but they have less lag, spool faster, and give more torque than nice sounding tubular manifolds. Again, just because it doesn't look pretty or look like it flows well, doesn't exact mean the design/function sucks and robs your engine of power.
agreed somewhat. people see "tubular" shiny headers and think it will make more gains. On my s85 engine (bmw m6), its popular to just gut the cats . same gains but you keep the strong welds of the stock manifolds unlike the aftermarket units sometimes cracking with miles.

but i still rather have PPE headers, all said and done.
Old 05-09-17, 08:04 PM
GS430FTW
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi everyone, i recently gutted the primary cats on my ISF, and removed the secondary cats (OEM Exhaust). I drove the car for one week and the smell is unbearable. Today I installed the Magnaflow hi flow cats [ installed at the same spot (secondary cats)}. My question is it okay to install the Hi flow cats after the o2 sensors? Note: I have the rr Racing tune, and i'm planning to buy the Borla Catback in the very near future.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-17, 03:10 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^ Yes I'd also be interested in this, is it ok to install HCFs after the O2 Sensors?
Old 05-10-17, 03:12 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^ From this thread seems like Caymandive was planning on installing them after the O2 Sensors but from the pics seems like he went before the O2 Sensors, ---> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-here-13.html

Caymandive can you let us know why you installed the cats before the O2 Sensors? also looks like you had to add O2 Extenders.
Old 05-10-17, 04:02 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
^ From this thread seems like Caymandive was planning on installing them after the O2 Sensors but from the pics seems like he went before the O2 Sensors, ---> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-here-13.html

Caymandive can you let us know why you installed the cats before the O2 Sensors? also looks like you had to add O2 Extenders.
If you have O2 conditioners, you can install them after the secondary O2 sensors.
Old 05-10-17, 06:16 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I just had headers installed last week, and hi-flow cats were added after the sensors.. The RR Racing tune (or O2 conditioners) can take care of CELs.

-Mike
Old 05-10-17, 07:09 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

^ any photos of said hi-flow cats? Did RR do the work?
Old 05-10-17, 09:18 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR

even on a turbo car spool/lag is relative to the setup as a whole more so than the manifold itself, so that's subjective. biggest benefit a turbo car gets from a turbular manifold is running bigger housings and turbo location really. so its apples to oranges comparison

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
agreed somewhat. people see "tubular" shiny headers and think it will make more gains. On my s85 engine (bmw m6), its popular to just gut the cats . same gains but you keep the strong welds of the stock manifolds unlike the aftermarket units sometimes cracking with miles.

but i still rather have PPE headers, all said and done.
that's because on the S65 and S85(basically same motor) they have a tubular manifold from the factory, going catless is all that car needed
Old 05-10-17, 09:20 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Vervish
^ any photos of said hi-flow cats? Did RR do the work?
I forgot to take final pics when it was still up on the lift.. I'll get some pics this weekend.. Yep, one of their employees is a welder/fabricator, so he did the work.

-Mike
Old 05-10-17, 09:28 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

^ Thanks...I might be making a trip to PA - 1.5 hour drive for me.
Old 05-10-17, 09:38 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

My HI-flow cats are welded in after my secondary O2 sensors (Borla catback/ PPE headers and RR Tune), no issues with CEL or excessive smell.

Quick Reply: Welding high flow cats to stock headers